The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]-Amesbury released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: The Lady's Choice- NaNo16 [Regency Romance- GxB]

#16 Post by Harliqueen »

Googaboga wrote:Congrats on the release! I'm looking forward to when I'll have a chance to play :mrgreen:.
Thank you so much, I hope you get the chance to play too :)
Kirlett wrote:Is there no route for the first guy who dances with you? T_T I wanted to choose him, he looked like a main character but he didn't appear again u_u
(I'm in Guy's route. I LOVE HIM. And Huntington is awful... such a creep. I'm glad we have options to clearly refuse him! Come save the heroine, Captain! >///<)

Also, that old lady is getting on my nerves. Who does she think she is? Ugh. Back off, grandma, and take your son the stalker with you. :x

Edit: I FINISHED GUY'S ROUTE.
I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. He's so intense, OMG. You write romance so well. It was so exciting and dramatic and I was getting so nervous about their future. THE DRAMA!!! I got the True Love ending :D Yay! Huntington is a disgusting human being, srly. Ugggh. But I think the ending was too rushed. I wanted to see how would be their relatoinship in the future. I mean, for a story that focuses on "not your typical fairytale", it ended quite like one: a fight and a kiss. But do they got married? What does her family think? Are they accepted in society? Idk
Kirlett wrote:I forgot! I also love how your decisions change the way others see the heroine. When I was playing Isaac's route, everyone kept telling me how I was SO kind and accepted by society. Nice ^^
Poor Amesbury unfortunately didn't get a route in the end as I just didn't have time :( It's a real shame, as Arabella's engagement played a bigger part in his route too. Ah well, that's what I get for aiming big on a NaNo project :D

Huntington was... yeah, seriously uncomfortable to write! I'm glad he came off as creepy as I tried to write him, made it worth the awkwardness of writing him!

I had actually thought about doing epilogues, but then decided against it. After giving the player the choice of how to act and what sort of personality the MC had, I didn't then want to shoehorn her into a marriage epilogue if that's not what they envisioned for the character, or not give a marriage when they wanted one, etc.

I left it open for the player to decide on their own where they thought the romance might lead in the future.

But epilogues are definitely something I will be doing for future games!

Yeah, I really tried hard to have the MC's personality and the way she acted in society be something that the other character's responded to. I really wanted to do more with it, but again, time just wasn't on my side :D Glad you noticed the touches of it though!
Adia wrote:I just ...consumed the entire game. Played both routes (and got 'true love' endings for both). ...I have to admit, I don't think I'll be brave enough to play the 'bad ending' routes for either as I like the guys too much to be cruel to them!

I agree with Kirlett though - I really would have loved an epilogue or something to tie the endings up. With both of the love interests, given while it is a 'light' game, the social implications for both matches could be bad. The Huntington's were horrible, but I guess for the time Walter would have been saying what a lot of people would have about Blake? :( (I'd also imagine particularly with the attachment to the MC - he could be seen to be arrogant or predatory - going after the MC's dowry).

It isn't a criticism - just ...I now really want more :oops:

I just finished playing Regency Love, so was so happy to see this - as I wasn't ready to leave the Regency era yet! :D So it was a really wonderful surprise to find your game. The art was gorgeous and I did love how we could shape our character (mine was probably a bit too bold at times for a Viscount's daughter!! :mrgreen:)
I'm so glad you enjoyed them both! They were really quite different, so it's nice to know that both were good :)

Writing the bad routes really broke my heart, so I can see your unwillingness to play them!

Yeah, the epilogues were something I was unsure about, but really wanted to leave open. Certainly something I will be taking on board for future games.

Walter was just a major creep :D His fortune and title were all he thought he needed to get him where he wanted, and he just can't understand people who wouldn't think the same way.
Fantasysci5 wrote:Very lovely game! I really loved the setting, it felt so fresh for an otome game! The graphics are gorgeous, the writing is deep and interesting! I was pretty surprised that this was a free game, but really happy it was as well! I loved Guy's route, and would love to play Amesbury's if you ever do his. This was a real treat!
Thank you so much for the kind words! I hope to always have any NaNo game I make be free :)

I'm really glad you liked the writing, I tried hard to make it immersive and deep, even in a smaller game like this!

Amesbury will have to go on indefinite hold, but maybe one day... :D
completelyaddicted21 wrote:I just finished playing the game and its amazing! I LOVED guy's route he was such a dreamboat n poet surprisingly :lol:
I couldnt believe the game was free considering the amazing artwork and writing! Some scenes left my heart feeling squished up while others made me almost tear up from happiness :')
I cant wait for your future works! Thank you for this wonderful game it was one of the best otome games I've ever played!
Yeah, Guy has a bit of a romantic tucked away inside of him ;) He's much better at writing that out than speaking it, apparently!

I'm so glad that the emotions came across whilst you played. It was a light visual novel, but I still wanted there to be some immersion and impact from it :D

--

Thank you once again to everyone who played The Lady's Choice, and to you that commented! Hearing your thoughts and knowing that you enjoyed it has really been the most amazing thing to come out of it! :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#17 Post by Windchimes »

At the time of writing this, I've only finished Stanton's route, but I loved it so much that I had to come and comment right away anyway.

The game was amazing. I've been waiting impatiently for it ever since you posted about it in WIP NaNo subforums in March, and it was well-worth the wait. Definitely did not disappoint at all! The art was beautiful, and the sheer amount of CGs and BGs and even outfit changes is astonishing. I loved Stanton, and his story was awesome
(even though after the second interrupted kiss I was already cursing your evilness and pleading for them to just kiss already) xD
Like the others have mentioned, the ending was a little abrupt, but the story as a whole was really great. Your writing is beautiful too! Especially during particularly emotional scenes, the description is just amazing.

Sorry, I wish I could find more adjectives other than "beautiful" and "amazing" but I've been reduced to a fangirling mess because God I have such a weakness for regency romance and this one was so well done.

Only thing I can nitpick is the save/load screen. The color of the save file text is too light, so I couldn't see it at all, and since the screenshot is rather small, I had to rely on memory to remember which save file is the latest. xD But it's really a very minor thing that didn't detract from the game at all.

Anyways, off I go to play Guy's route now! Thank you so much for this amazing game. I enjoyed it so much! I'll be looking forward to more games from you!
Last edited by Windchimes on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ezkiela

#18 Post by Ezkiela »

Hi,

:D First things first, I definitely recommend this. PLAY IT.
This is my first time writing a review and since English is not my first language, I apologize for any mistakes I might make. Still I hope the message gets through. I am very much enjoying this novel. At the moment, I have reached both of the 'true love' endings. (I am looking forward to finding the all the others.Though finding the bad ends might be difficult, i really do not want to be mean to Guy and Isaac)
As for my thoughts about the novel, I think the interaction between the characters works well. It is also very fun to see how choices affect the way Sophie is seen by the other characters. As Kirlett and others have said I would have loved an epilogue, though it works fine the way it is now. Also, the writing is amazing. How to describe it, ehm, i can't really put it into words. To be honest I have not had this much fun playing a VN for quite a while, so thank you for that.

The sweet talking is fun and it was so romantic, but I have to be honest there were points in the game where I went KISS her already".

SPOILERS:
Stanton was the first route I've finished and I must say I loved the twist. I knew that he wasn't gambler. He is such a dear.(really i find him so sweet). And poor him he really didn't deserve what happened to him, because of his father. I loved the sweet talking, almost had me blushing.
As for the captain, he is noble and quite adorable in his manner, really, but sometimes that did frustrate me a bit. Come'on man Sophie wants you, would you please get up and take her, and he did, yay. (seeing him blush and be all awkward was cute though) Also, duke 'Creepy Creeper' 'Huntington' really is aptly named, haha. God he gave me shivers, not a nice person.
Also a pity mr. Amesbury only had such a brief role, I would loved to have seen his route too.
All in all. I loved it. Thank you for making it. <3 :wink:

Love,
Ezkiela

Kirlett
Regular

#19 Post by Kirlett »

I'm just saying but... everyone wants Amesbury's route :roll: Really, when I played for the first time and he appeared and danced with her I was like: HIM. I. WANT. HIM. I DON'T CARE ABOUT OTHER SUITORS. :oops: But no. He dissappeared from the ballroom...and from the heroine's life :cry:

I think we all know what this means. IT'S TIME TO WRITE SOME FANFICTION!

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#20 Post by ririruetoo »

Would it be possible for the creator to add a Amebury's route in the future? For him to get his own sprite for such a minor role (considering characters like the butler didn't get one) really made me wonder why he didn't have a full route. Hopefully he gets added in because I'd love to play his route.
ImageImageImage

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#21 Post by Harliqueen »

Windchimes wrote:At the time of writing this, I've only finished Stanton's route, but I loved it so much that I had to come and comment right away anyway.

The game was amazing. I've been waiting impatiently for it ever since you posted about it in WIP NaNo subforums in March, and it was well-worth the wait. Definitely did not disappoint at all! The art was beautiful, and the sheer amount of CGs and BGs and even outfit changes is astonishing. I loved Stanton, and his story was awesome
(even though after the second interrupted kiss I was already cursing your evilness and pleading for them to just kiss already) xD
Like the others have mentioned, the ending was a little abrupt, but the story as a whole was really great. Your writing is beautiful too! Especially during particularly emotional scenes, the description is just amazing.

Sorry, I wish I could find more adjectives other than "beautiful" and "amazing" but I've been reduced to a fangirling mess because God I have such a weakness for regency romance and this one was so well done.

Only thing I can nitpick is the save/load screen. The color of the save file text is too light, so I couldn't see it at all, and since the screenshot is rather small, I had to rely on memory to remember which save file is the latest. xD But it's really a very minor thing that didn't detract from the game at all.

Anyways, off I go to play Guy's route now! Thank you so much for this amazing game. I enjoyed it so much! I'll be looking forward to more games from you!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I think I did go a bit overboard on the amount of CGs for a NaNo game, which is partly why it took so long, but I really enjoy the visualness of this format of storytelling :D
The interrupted kisses were great fun to write, and I every time I thought, 'hm, I'll let them kiss', I just couldn't help but have something interrupt it! Poor Stanton was getting pretty antsy by the time they finally got to do it!
That you're fangirling over the game is the best thing to hear!

Oh man! I'm so sorry about the save/load text. I remembered to darken the text colour on the choices and completely skipped over the GUI. Agh, really sorry about that! I will definitely remember it for future games :)
Ezkiela wrote:Hi,

:D First things first, I definitely recommend this. PLAY IT.
This is my first time writing a review and since English is not my first language, I apologize for any mistakes I might make. Still I hope the message gets through. I am very much enjoying this novel. At the moment, I have reached both of the 'true love' endings. (I am looking forward to finding the all the others.Though finding the bad ends might be difficult, i really do not want to be mean to Guy and Isaac)
As for my thoughts about the novel, I think the interaction between the characters works well. It is also very fun to see how choices affect the way Sophie is seen by the other characters. As Kirlett and others have said I would have loved an epilogue, though it works fine the way it is now. Also, the writing is amazing. How to describe it, ehm, i can't really put it into words. To be honest I have not had this much fun playing a VN for quite a while, so thank you for that.

The sweet talking is fun and it was so romantic, but I have to be honest there were points in the game where I went KISS her already".

SPOILERS:
Stanton was the first route I've finished and I must say I loved the twist. I knew that he wasn't gambler. He is such a dear.(really i find him so sweet). And poor him he really didn't deserve what happened to him, because of his father. I loved the sweet talking, almost had me blushing.
As for the captain, he is noble and quite adorable in his manner, really, but sometimes that did frustrate me a bit. Come'on man Sophie wants you, would you please get up and take her, and he did, yay. (seeing him blush and be all awkward was cute though) Also, duke 'Creepy Creeper' 'Huntington' really is aptly named, haha. God he gave me shivers, not a nice person.
Also a pity mr. Amesbury only had such a brief role, I would loved to have seen his route too.
All in all. I loved it. Thank you for making it. <3 :wink:

Love,
Ezkiela
Thank you so much for playing it and commenting (Your English is perfect!)

I'm really pleased you enjoyed both routes, because the two guys were quite different, and I was unsure if they would both appeal to the same people :D
Yeah, I couldn't make Stanton a gambler, though I almost did in the original version of his route!
Poor Guy just kept getting his confidence knocked back! So, I had to give him a real good confident ending to go out on in the true love ending
:D
Kirlett wrote:I'm just saying but... everyone wants Amesbury's route :roll: Really, when I played for the first time and he appeared and danced with her I was like: HIM. I. WANT. HIM. I DON'T CARE ABOUT OTHER SUITORS. :oops: But no. He dissappeared from the ballroom...and from the heroine's life :cry:

I think we all know what this means. IT'S TIME TO WRITE SOME FANFICTION!
ririruetoo wrote:Would it be possible for the creator to add a Amebury's route in the future? For him to get his own sprite for such a minor role (considering characters like the butler didn't get one) really made me wonder why he didn't have a full route. Hopefully he gets added in because I'd love to play his route.
Poor Amesbury :D He's surprisingly more popular than I thought he would be considering he only was in the common route!

Unfortunately, I really can't dedicate anymore time to this. I would have loved to given him a route, but, being self-employed, I just can't justify spending anymore time on something free :( Especially when this was actually only supposed to take the March of month to complete :D

I'm really sorry for it, but I hope you understand :)

Adia

#22 Post by Adia »

Poor Amesbury :D He's surprisingly more popular than I thought he would be considering he only was in the common route!

Unfortunately, I really can't dedicate anymore time to this. I would have loved to given him a route, but, being self-employed, I just can't justify spending anymore time on something free :( Especially when this was actually only supposed to take the March of month to complete :D

I'm really sorry for it, but I hope you understand :)

I can totally understand - I was actually surprised when I saw that this was free. And, after playing it, it is a game worth paying for. I think as an intro to you as a game creator, this at least creates trust that you make quality products. :D

If you aren't going to create the Amesbury route...will you tell us what it would have been? :lol:

Personally I am surprised that I was as curious about him as I was. But I am! ...you could always release him as a pay-for character. Like Graham in Regency Love :wink:

Kirlett
Regular

#23 Post by Kirlett »

I would pay for Amesbury's route! Shut up and take my money! *-*

Harliqueen
Veteran

#24 Post by Harliqueen »

Adia wrote: I can totally understand - I was actually surprised when I saw that this was free. And, after playing it, it is a game worth paying for. I think as an intro to you as a game creator, this at least creates trust that you make quality products. :D

If you aren't going to create the Amesbury route...will you tell us what it would have been? :lol:

Personally I am surprised that I was as curious about him as I was. But I am! ...you could always release him as a pay-for character. Like Graham in Regency Love :wink:
Part of what I hope with The Lady's Choice was to show how much passion I have for these visual novels, so I hope that has come across :D

I won't write up his route, just in case one day I do manage to get the time to do it! (I do really hope to one day, as I was looking forward to writing it)
Kirlett wrote:I would pay for Amesbury's route! Shut up and take my money! *-*
It's certainly something to think about, though I would feel kind of bad offering the main game for free and then charging for the final route :D

--

Thank you so much for your support, to know you love the game and want more of it is seriously inspiring and motivating! :)

PuffBun
Regular
Deviantart: kasey-puff

#25 Post by PuffBun »

I really enjoyed the game! I liked how I could make decisions and do things that influenced how others thought of my character. I didn't expect to be so enraptured in the story either! :lol: I loved the story, the characters, the character art, cgs, backgrounds, and the music! :D
I must admit I was disappointed when I figured out Amesbury (I think is his name) didn't have a route. But I really enjoyed it!, thank you! I'll be watching out form your future otome games~!

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#26 Post by Godline »

You've got to love a guy named Guy. Hehe.

I would write more but as I'm typing on my phone, I'll keep it short and sweet. I love your work. I really do. That's two nanoreno entries now that you've smashed out of the park.

The writing was impeccable. All those plot twists! You actually made me like "Isaac" even though at first I thought he was seedy and lecherous. Of course I didn't go for him at first. But I'm glad this lady got a choice! ;)

Everything was so well captured. Like reading an Austen. Hehe.

The only thing I'd want is an ending where you end up with the bad guy, Huntington. Like maybe there is something of a happy ending there? Even though he is a creep...

There could have been more choices for the lady, but alas for the time you had you did amazingly.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#27 Post by Harliqueen »

PuffBun wrote:I really enjoyed the game! I liked how I could make decisions and do things that influenced how others thought of my character. I didn't expect to be so enraptured in the story either! :lol: I loved the story, the characters, the character art, cgs, backgrounds, and the music! :D
I must admit I was disappointed when I figured out Amesbury (I think is his name) didn't have a route. But I really enjoyed it!, thank you! I'll be watching out form your future otome games~!
Thank you for playing :D It's great to know you enjoyed it, and that the story captured you.

I hope to make a lot more otome games, so watch this space ;)
Godline wrote:
You've got to love a guy named Guy. Hehe.

I would write more but as I'm typing on my phone, I'll keep it short and sweet. I love your work. I really do. That's two nanoreno entries now that you've smashed out of the park.

The writing was impeccable. All those plot twists! You actually made me like "Isaac" even though at first I thought he was seedy and lecherous. Of course I didn't go for him at first. But I'm glad this lady got a choice! ;)

Everything was so well captured. Like reading an Austen. Hehe.

The only thing I'd want is an ending where you end up with the bad guy, Huntington. Like maybe there is something of a happy ending there? Even though he is a creep...

There could have been more choices for the lady, but alas for the time you had you did amazingly.
Ohh, thank you! It's nice to know you've enjoyed both of my NaNo entries :D It's weird to think Diving in Deep was only last year, feels so long ago!

I do love a good plot twist, though it's difficult sometimes to leave clues but not make it obvious. I was hoping to do that for Stanton's route, so hope that came across well!

I think you're the first person to say that about Walter though, that's quite a surprise! :D

Thank you again, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Birdie

#28 Post by Birdie »

I played two routes: Isaac - with the true love ending and Guy - also true love ending. I believe it's the best ending? Hart to say how I can obtain the love endings 1 and 2.

Okay, time for some thoughs.

MC: I really adore her. In both routes! She's got a spine, really! She's a lady of course, but I was surprised when she showed her guts. And her innocence! I love her, captivate me. choices were also brilliant, I really found every choice quite good.

Love Interests: I adore them both, but Isaac is my best choice. Love him so much! Also this story was so cute, yet kinda dramatic. MC and Isaac looked really good together, perfect match. When I saw him...
beaten so badly - I was thinking only about his muscles and that he's really hot

Great game, awaiting for you another project.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#29 Post by Harliqueen »

Birdie wrote:I played two routes: Isaac - with the true love ending and Guy - also true love ending. I believe it's the best ending? Hart to say how I can obtain the love endings 1 and 2.

Okay, time for some thoughs.

MC: I really adore her. In both routes! She's got a spine, really! She's a lady of course, but I was surprised when she showed her guts. And her innocence! I love her, captivate me. choices were also brilliant, I really found every choice quite good.

Love Interests: I adore them both, but Isaac is my best choice. Love him so much! Also this story was so cute, yet kinda dramatic. MC and Isaac looked really good together, perfect match. When I saw him...
beaten so badly - I was thinking only about his muscles and that he's really hot

Great game, awaiting for you another project.
I made the true love ending pretty easy to achieve, as I knew most people would only be playing through the game once :D

The other endings, oh man, I have to think back now! I think it's:
Stanton-

Bad ending: Hand him over to Vale's men

Love Ending 1: <6 True love points

Love Ending 2: <6 True love points and either accept society points = max, or mistake society points > 4

Blake-

Bad Ending: Don't go to meeting

Love Ending 1: <6 True love points

Love Ending 2: <6 True love points and either shun society points = max, or accept society points > 5
Hope that helped :) Let me know if not, and I'll try to look into a bit more!

Thank you so much for playing it, I'm realy glad you liked it :D

Nekana

#30 Post by Nekana »

This is definitely one of my favourite VN ever, the setting was awesome and I loved how many choices were available, cuz I felt like I was really styling my character the way I wanted to. The two dudes were also both really interesting and I liked how you didn't make the MC all ''damsel in distress'' as so many VN's do. Stanton is my fave because well, his character just appealed to me more, all mysterious and doing what must be done no matter what. Basically, super good job and I'll be looking forward to more VN's from you!