The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]-Amesbury released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]- Amesbury's co

#61 Post by Harliqueen »

Amesbury's route is now out!

Download the latest version of the game (2.0) to play it: https://seraphinite.itch.io/the-ladys-choice
--

He's finally here :D I really hope you guys enjoy his route!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

procutemeister
Regular
Tumblr: the-professional-cutemeister

Re: The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]-Amesbury relea

#62 Post by procutemeister »

NGL I LITERALLY YELLED WHEN I SAW THAT AMESBURY WAS OUT

GTG DOWNLOAD HIM RIGHT NOW!!!

Kirlett
Regular

#63 Post by Kirlett »

SCREAMING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! I was checking every day and suddenly...
You were so fast! Thank you! Best present ever!
I'm gonna play it RIGHT NOW.
I'll be back with a lot of fangirling. Be ready.

EDIT: I'm still playing but I had to say this: AMESBURY IS THE BEST OF THE THREE. I'm in love.
God, the sexual tension between him and the MC is killing me. My MC is kind and innocent and he's a rogue and OMG BEST COUPLE EVER, I'M FANGIRLING SO HARD. The chemistry!!!! This route is everything. I'll be back. This is wonderful. Amazing. I swear, I was playing some scenes like this: :shock: :oops: WHEN HE ASKS FOR HER GLOVES OH GOD. AND THEN HE TAKES THEM FROM HER HIMSELF. AAAAAAAAHH!!!!!! I think I ACTUALLY BLUSHED. My goodness.
EDIT 2: I finished the route. It was perfect. Everything I would hope to find in a rengency romance and more. You're so talented as a writer... all the emotions, it was really intense. Best route of all, sorry Blake, new favorite. Amesbury was way better than I hoped for and his story is the most interesting.
NOW I MUST MAKE A CONFESSION. There were some scenes that... well, they were REALLY hot. Erotic novel kind of hot. I KNOW, it doesn't happen ANYTHING erotic, but... THE FIRST KISS. OMG THAT SCENE TURNED ME ON. I'M SORRY I HAD TO SAY IT. IT'S THE TRUTH. (And no, it wasn't the only part that made "my skin feel warm" lol This is amazing because as a writer you managed to create scenes with heavily implied erotism without showing nudity or sexual innuendos. THE GLOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEES. Amesbury is such a rogue :oops: )
I have to play again with a witty MC hehe. My favorite is the sweet and kind one, however n_n She's a cutie.
WELL, THAT'S IT FOLKS. I'M TAKING MY LEAVE. Go play Amesbury's route already, everyone, come on!
AH! I loved the ending and it didn't feel rushed at all. The relationship with Amesbury is more natural and real than the others. (I LOVE GUY ANYWAY. But Laurence is my favorite. Also, the ship with my MC is called Laurielle because her name is Gabrielle. SOUNDS GOOD, HUH?! God, I'm such a dork. And annoying. BUT HEY I'M SORRY YOU KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN WHEN YOU DECIDED TO CREATE SUCH A GREAT GAME. I regret nothing.

PD: Please make more games in the future <3 I promise to be a loyal fan.
PD2: I love how the story is written. So fancy, Jane Austen-vibe. I had to use the translator a few times haha (THAT'S A GOOD THING, BTW. You help me learn fancy English haha :roll: ) ok, i'm going now, sorry :lol:

Adia

#64 Post by Adia »

Kirlett wrote: I have to play again with a witty MC hehe. My favorite is the sweet and kind one, however n_n She's a cutie.
Its totally worth it :D Probably inappropriate for a Regency lady, but it is just SO GOOD to sass back at Amesbury.

Wonderful work - I was grinning the whole way through the route. Stanton is probably still my fave :) But this was absolutely brilliant.

Just read on your blog - Montfort can dislike the MC?? Oh dear...I am going to have a LOT more playthroughs of this game!! <333

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#65 Post by Harliqueen »

@procutemeister - I hope you enjoyed it if you managed to play it! :D

--

@Kirlett- You have no idea how happy your comment makes me- to see your fangirling is awesome! It seriously makes my day to know you enjoyed it so much, and that the characters and story really drew you in :) I think it's the goal of any creator to have people excited about their work!

(I'm sorry about the fancy language! I was trying not to make it too bad, because I wanted modern audiences not to feel too off-put by the fancy, but some bits I did go a bit OTT on the language...)
Your compliments on the chemistry between Amesbury and the MC is so great to read. I always worry that when I try to write a scene, the feeling will never come across as strongly as I want it to, so to know that you felt exactly what I hoped during those scenes is such a major boost to my confidence!
The witty MC was my favourite to write :D (Though, she's probably less witty and a more sassy!)

--

@Adia - Yeah, Montfort can really dislike the MC!

Spoilers on Montfort
He has 2 'motivations'- either he dislikes the MC or falls in love with her. It all depends on how you play the MC. Or, if you shun society completely, he will always dislike you, as he is very concerned with keeping up appearances and trying to fit in!

To be fair, he was great fun to write when he was being a jerk! :D He had an awesome bitch face!

doodle

#66 Post by doodle »

I love this game so, SO much! I haven't played Visual Novels in such a long time, but this one got me right back into it. I've always loved Jane Austen's stores and this reminds me a lot of some of them. One of the things I appreciate the most is us being able to shape the MC's personality. It's something that I haven't found in many VN's and it's so much fun when it's an option because it really makes you feel like you're a part of the experience as opposed to an observer of the events.
I fell in love with Stanton at first sight and then only more and more during his route... it was really perfect. I loved the mystery surrounding it. But it made me really sad when I finished his route because I had a hard time leaving him :'( I just finished Blake's story and while it was very well written (and I can see why so many here seem to like him so much), he just didn't do it for me... I just wanted more of Stanton haha. Now I'm going to try out the last guy though, but I really don't want this game to end...!
Oh well, I'll just replay Stanton's route again xD can I ask what game you will be doing next? You are a great artist and storyteller, so whatever it is I look forward to it!

procutemeister
Regular
Tumblr: the-professional-cutemeister

#67 Post by procutemeister »

I just finished Amesbury's route!!! And wow it was great omg. Blake is still my fave <3 cos I don't really go for roguish types but oh my god. I love the tension and the mystery in Amesbury's route, and especially the sexual tension between him and the MC.
I also kind of want to go for Montfort cos I also find him kinda hot??
And I agree with some others here, it's just so much fun to be witty and sassy in Amesbury's
especially when you're hinting to him that you know who the Society Swindler is.

Thanks so much for giving him a route :D Merry Christmas indeed!

Kirlett
Regular

#68 Post by Kirlett »

I played the headstrong and witty MC with Amesbury, but I still prefer the kind and sweet MC ^^ She's canon to me in every route, I suppose.
But my second favorite would be the headstrong. Slaping Montfort felt SO good.
Also, I understand that many players would like a friendly battle of witts, but I loved how Amesbury would make the MC blush and feel shy >3< The combination of rogue and sweet <3
When he says she shouldn't be afraid... awwwww T_T

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#69 Post by Mammon »

I've been looking forward to Amesbury, he looks the most like real-life me in physical terms; from the hair that's only a shade darker and less curly than mine, to his tired and lifeless brown eyes, and many more details. The similarities are frightening really, though we are much less alike in his CG art. The lifeless eyes things is not critique by the way, they did well to visualise his feelings of boredom and pretended politeness among the 'civilised', and I love how these tired lines were hidden by the mask + the colour of his eyes were brighter in contrast to its darkness. It was a real subtle addition to the sprite hinting to him being so much happier behind that mask, I loved this the moment I noticed it.

I must admit I wasn't as much of a fan of his personality at first though. While I would've picked witty MC first no matter what, I did feel like I had to pick her because she felt like the one true personality that would click with his. Amesbury did have a distain for the regular nobles after all so I felt that him liking the genial or sensible MC would feel out of sync with his personality. Why would he even like those two versions of MC when he hates all the others just like her? As I played these route however my worries were proved false though.

In fact, with what I know now I wished I played either of these first and the witty or headstrong later as it would've suited Mr. Montfort better. I loved his appearance in the story and the dynamic between him and Amesbury worked great, as Amesbury had no such friendly friction of ettiquette vs freeminded with witty MC. And when he appeared... I'm not gay but I was taken aback by Montfort's sophisticated looks, and I can fully understand the pleas of the women who've already voiced their hopes for him to get his own route. Especially after seeing the route where he too fancied the MC. I felt somewhat sad that I couldn't pick him over Amesbury when the route was still young.
The reason why I wished I played the period-appropriate MC first, is because Montfort's developments didn't really work with the witty MC if the player doesn't know yet what will happen in the story. He had this nice dynamic going with Amesbury and then his character's purpose changes to suddenly hating you? I understood his reservations but he was suddenly being an arse to me. Had I read it the first time with him seeking MC's fancy I can only imagine how much better the story would have been to me. Sigh, if only I could read each route as if it were a whole new story...

Anyways, great third route! And this route's bad end felt like it fits in so much better than the other two! I actually felt that this was a rational decision rather than choosing a bad end.
(P.S. I saw a little typo in the game, at Amesbury's gathering you mixed up the character names and Arabella ended up asking me to dance instead. :wink: )
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Kirlett
Regular

#70 Post by Kirlett »

Mammon wrote:While I would've picked witty MC first no matter what, I did feel like I had to pick her because she felt like the one true personality that would click with his. Amesbury did have a distain for the regular nobles after all so I felt that him liking the genial or sensible MC would feel out of sync with his personality. Why would he even like those two versions of MC when he hates all the others just like her?
But the genial and sweet MC is not like the others. He likes her good nature and kindness to others, not her respect for the rules. In fact, the MC can ignore the rules by being kind (Example: when she greets Miss Witter with a smile and is happy to talk to her, even though she introduced herself. Amesbury would have disliked the MC if she was mean to Miss Witter because "that's not how they should be introduced". But Genial!MC says she's glad to meet someone so cheerful).
To me, the only one who doesn't make sense with Amesbury is the heroine who sticks ALWAYS to the rules, even if that means being rude or ignoring someone for appearences' sake.
Sorry for my bad English :oops:

Looru
Projects: CRoTBH [WIP]
Organization: Enyu Studio

#71 Post by Looru »

Ah, I've finished this game a while back and hadn't the chance to give any input - and now Amesbury is released!
This is one of the VNs I've played in a while that I've really enjoyed, since historic drama is a weakness of mine; I have to say your writing reflected the time period very well. Only thing I wished for is an epilogue of sorts but that's probably because I got really invested in their relationships haha.

All in all thanks for making this game! Now I'll be off to play the newly released route~

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#72 Post by Mammon »

Kirlett wrote:But the genial and sweet MC is not like the others. He likes her good nature and kindness to others, not her respect for the rules. In fact, the MC can ignore the rules by being kind (Example: when she greets Miss Witter with a smile and is happy to talk to her, even though she introduced herself. Amesbury would have disliked the MC if she was mean to Miss Witter because "that's not how they should be introduced". But Genial!MC says she's glad to meet someone so cheerful).
To me, the only one who doesn't make sense with Amesbury is the heroine who sticks ALWAYS to the rules, even if that means being rude or ignoring someone for appearences' sake.
I never said it didn't work, I said it felt at first like it wouldn't/shouldn't work. Because you went with the sweet MC first you never got any feeling that Amesbury wouldn't like you if you weren't witty and sharing his opinions. It's one of those habits of games that they allow you freedom of choice but the perfect ending requires a specific path going against this, and I felt the game giving me that urge while it was later proven to be false. With 'Seduce me' for example you had to go the most slutty and moving fast choices to get anyone's perfect ending rather than making the 'physical romance' a free choice. You could take it slow and steady, but that means missing their perfect end and getting the good one (at best) instead.

In this case it's not a restriction with the endings, rather that I felt I had to pick witty MC because otherwise the romance wouldn't make sense. Him falling in love with a MC fitting in with society felt like it just shouldn't because I was reading the witty MC's dialogue with Amesbury, their click relied heavily on them both shunning society and having similar anti-conformist thoughts. Combine that with the MC choice for Stanton and Blake being less significant for the romance portion; even with Blake's endings the MC's choice of character didn't decide his love rather than Ms. Huntington's reaction. Both other routes could fall in love with MC with any one of her 4 choices logically.

But do pay attention to the last sentence which you didn't include in your quote: 'As I played these route however my worries were proved false though.' This problem came from me playing witty MC first, had I played the sweet and kind MC first like you did this problem wouldn't have existed. I would have seen this Amesbury attracted to opposites first, and like I said I would've liked it even more because Montfort's role would have worked better. I do get the feeling that the genial MC was the MC which Harliqueen envisioned the story most for, followed by witty. I just played it in the wrong order is all.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Harliqueen
Veteran

#73 Post by Harliqueen »

@doodle - Thank you so much for playing! :D I'm really glad the game could help get you back into VNs after a break. It's always nice to find a visual novel in the genre or theme you love, so it's great to hear I helped with that!
(Stanton is my favourite too. I know, I know, I shouldn't have favourites, but I can't help it :D )

The game I'm doing next will have a very different feel to The Lady's Choice, and it won't be historical. I think it's always good to take a break after being in one setting or genre for a while! So, I'll be moving onto something different, though I am pleased with how it's going (don't want to say too much yet).
I'll be announcing it in the New Year, so I really hope it's something you'll be interested in :)
--

@procutemeister - I've had a couple of people mention the sexual tension between Amesbury and the MC specifically, so I'm really glad that came across! :D It's hard to give the feeling of the intensity between people, but still keep within the bounds of the time setting (even if I was far from keeping strictly to the manners of the time!)
Thank you so much for commenting and playing. I'm glad it made a good early Christmas present!
--

@Kirlett - I haven't actually heard many people say they've played the headstrong MC, so it's good to know you did at some point :D But yeah, Amesbury's personality is quite forward-natured, so pairing him with a sweet/genial MC certainly makes for some good blushing moments! His roguish nature really lent itself to a bit of teasing.
--

@Mammon - The witty MC was definitely one of my favourite personalities to write, and she did play more off of Amesbury at times. Each of the love interests had a 'favoured' personality, and surprisingly for Amesbury it was headstrong :D But, I worked my hardest to ensure that playing as all personalities still meant you had a fulfilling and fun romance. The 'favoured' personality hardly came into play at all, just in small moments.

I didn't think Mr Montfort would be as popular as he has been. Though I did try to make him handsome (because, well, if I have to spend aggges drawing a sprite, I might as well make them attractive to look at, right? :D), his character wasn't the best. If he loved the MC, his morals were very weak. He loves Amesbury like a brother, but still thinks he can win the girl his best friend is in love with? Rich, egotism at its finest!
Then, if he dislikes the MC, again, egotism comes into play because he thinks he knows what's best.
Montfort isn't a bad guy, he's just grown up being the top of his food-chain, and has no real idea of how the world and people actually work. Amesbury is the same, though his relationship with the MC helps to realise his rather selfish ideas can affect those around him.
If I was going to do a Montfort route (which I'm not, don't want to get hopes up :D) I think it would have to be with a different MC entirely.

Wow, sorry about the essay of a reply :D I get kinda passionate when I start talking little details and characters. It's exciting!

Thank you so much for playing and for leaving your comment. It's great you enjoyed it and noticed the smaller things. (And, thanks for picking up on the error. Arabella and Amesbury had very, very similar name tags, I'm surprised it hadn't happened before!)
--

@Looru- I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It's such a major boost to my confidence to know people enjoy it :) Hope you enjoy Amesbury's route just as much!

--

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments and support for The Lady's Choice. You have no idea how much it means to me :)

I'll be going on a Christmas break for a couple of weeks, so may not respond to comments very quickly (apologies for that!). I'll be fully back on January 3rd though, with an announcement for a new visual novel not long after that ;)

Kirlett
Regular

#74 Post by Kirlett »

A new Visual Novel *O* Can't wait!
Also, I would like to know which MC is the favorite of Blake and Stanton. (Hehe, I figured Amesbury would like headstrong especially
when they meet at night. "You are a scoundrel!" Haha, oh, my lady...
)

Harliqueen
Veteran

#75 Post by Harliqueen »

Kirlett wrote:A new Visual Novel *O* Can't wait!
Also, I would like to know which MC is the favorite of Blake and Stanton. (Hehe, I figured Amesbury would like headstrong especially
when they meet at night. "You are a scoundrel!" Haha, oh, my lady...
)
Yeah, Amesbury did like the MC when she had an opinion! :D

Blake's 'favoured' personality was witty, and Stanton's was genial (kind/sweet).

Blake liked witty because it was unexpected in a person of society, and it helped put him at ease.

Stanton liked genial because he had been surrounded by not so nice people for long, it was a refreshing change to see someone honestly nice.

But, yeah, the favoured personalities didn't really come into play much, it was just some responses were a bit more and things if you replied to them with that personality :)