Hierofania 2 [Fantasy] [Branching]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Akai85
Regular
Projects: Dawn of the Humans(WWIP), The Diamond Man(WWIP)
Organization: ermineSt.
Deviantart: ermineSt.

Re: Hierofania 2 [Fantasy] [Branching]

#16 Post by Akai85 »

Your writing is so tight! Tbh while I was looking forward to this game for years it's a well set precedent that sequels to things often pale in comparision to the original. It's a real testament to your skill that this game felt exactly the same as the original in terms of the writing and it was really really good. There are longer vns out there but the way everything meshes together and nothing feels tacked on; none of the characters felt built to an archetype and they all had distinct(ly enjoyable) personalities made the gameplay experience very satisfying - more satisfying than some longer games which can be circuitous or meander at times. I honestly don't think there was anything missing from the game or anything that could be added to benefit it.

Except a cg gallery. That's a technical detail but it would be awesome to be able to see the pictures without the textbox in front. :P

Initially I wasn't in favour of the art direction of this game. Specifically the choice of using an almost full-screen text box and to some extent the visuals which aren't as bold as the ones from Hierofania 1. After playing through the game I think it adds to the overall immersion and atmosphere. I really like how colourful things are as always. I think both visual choices fit their respective games well so I have no qualms with whichever style gets used for the third game. I'm really looking forward to the next one

...Please release it before I'm 30. :lol:

My favourite characters were Rotten Bastion and Tavo and Lord Tweenrivers. I liked all of them though, except maybe the maid. Tweenrivers by the way is a pretty funny name; caught my eye when he first appeared. I hope to see more of Caramela and Sentelje in the next game. The true ending has me worried... :o

Really looking forward to the next one! Hierofania 1 and 2 are definitely among my top visual novels of all time. Normally I lurk so this is a testament to how much I like them! :D
I did nothing. And still I rise.
And still I rise.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#17 Post by ludeshka »

Djaimon, your fanart is excellent. it captures their personalities so well.
(They both look handsome in your style, I'm a bit shocked!)
(It makes me wonder: if all my written parental figures are as bad as Senteltje and Murphy...does that speak poorly of me?)
(Still, it makes me happy to think of the Parent/Teacher/Mentor meeting my characters could hold. All I'm saying is there's a lot of potential for an AU there. No, there isn't, only I would read it, but still, you're awesome to play with my characters, you made me really happy :D )

Thank you SO much, Akai85.
I feel really honored to have my games pull you out of lurkerdom. :D

Thank you so much for your kind words.
One thing I'm learning from the comments I'm getting is that the big text window is not loved! Working alone has the downside of having zero idea of what people might think. XD
But it helps a lot that you say what you think, since now I know which things were unpopular, and I can keep it in mind for H3.
As for releasing it before you're 30... eh....heheheh...*sigh*

One thing! DrSchizo made an online version, and it absolutely does not have the big text window.
I think it looks quite classy with the subtitle look, actually. Strange!
You can play that version here. http://sandbox-adventure.com/hierofania-2.html

Ghost-Rain

#18 Post by Ghost-Rain »

Ahhhh, I played the first game, just so happened to come on to check things out, and the second one is here! Downloading now. It looks like the original art style is still raound? I've played a lot of games, but this one was always so unique. ^^

*struggles to get endings one and two*

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#19 Post by ludeshka »

Welcome back then, Ghost Rain :D And thank you so much for your nice words about my art, sometimes I think people won't give my games a chance because of it!
I'm not the best at walkthroughs, but here goes:
Both endings require you to choose to NOT remain neutral on the Ayrewell/Holy Crossing conflict, so listen to Lord Tweenrivers when he says he wants to talk to you alone. Bastian hurts your chances for ending 2, so ignore him at the party.
If you travel to Redbanks after the party you're on the right track.
Then, For Ending 2, listen to Lord Tweenrivers over Senteltje (for Ending 1, take charge and send them both packing! XD)
(There's a "nicer" way to get ending one, it requires you to NOT ignore Bastian, but to keep an independent mind on everything else)

ilyilaice
Regular
Completed: Flights of Fancy, Limbokin, Loveless on Lockdown, Aria at the Funeraria, Pusoy Dos, Jester Under Pressure, Dabbling in Drama, Iridescent Descent, Spirits of Limbo, Serial Killers Anonymous
Organization: Orca Martian Games
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice
itch: ilyilaice
Discord: ilyilaice

#20 Post by ilyilaice »

Just finished playing both Hierofania 1 and 2, and I am in complete awe. Like others here, I adored the unique art and the colors. I also appreciated the complexity of the characters and of the universe they inhabited. If I HAD to choose my absolute favorite thing about these excellent games, I'd choose the variety of the endings. It's terrific how the choices I make as the player lead me to entirely different branches of the story, unlike most VNs I have played, which employ the mechanic of an affection (or other type of hidden) meter.

Personally, I enjoyed Hierofania 1 more, mostly because Crocket made me crack up so darn many times. However, I also did like Caramela. My favorite thing about her is her obsession with her wardrobe. I also liked how she wasn't your stereotypical golden-hearted heroine. She's mostly a brat, so she reminded me of myself at multiple points. Heh.

By the way, the first game of yours that I actually played was Rhyme or Reason. It may be beside the point since this thread is about Hierofania, but I just want to tell you that I LOVE Rhyme or Reason, perhaps even more than I love Hierofania. I don't normally prefer high fantasy stories, so even though I'd heard about Hierofania more than once, I was hesitant to download it. I ended up downloading Rhyme or Reason first, and ahhh, all the warm, fuzzy feelings came pouring out. ;___; I loved it so much I decided to download Hierofania as well, and I definitely do not regret that decision. <3

Sooo stoked for Hierofania 3. Thanks again for making such lovely games. You're a true artist. <3 <3

andalusian
Regular

#21 Post by andalusian »

hello!

i understand that this kind of post can put a person under pressure, which is unpleasant, and i am sorry about that. but... is hierophania 3 in the works or not?

PKDonut617

#22 Post by PKDonut617 »

Absolutely love this game, and honestly can't wait for H3 to tie all the loose ends. I've managed to get the true ending, but have trouble getting some of the others. Does anyone happen to have a walkthrough to be sure?