The Town Called Data [Atmospheric][Satire][Psychological]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
iamwhatonearth
Regular
Projects: The Town Called Data
Tumblr: iamwhatonearth
Deviantart: whatonearth

The Town Called Data [Atmospheric][Satire][Psychological]

#1 Post by iamwhatonearth »

What if your drawings had a mind of their own? What would they think of their creator and how would they view life? This is the questionable tale of a character's self-discovery.

Play as Untitled as she figures out what she wants to do with her life. This game covers 14 days of her life and gets increasingly plot orientated towards the end.

Features:

- Four Main Characters: Untitled, Ivy, Daniel, and Sam

- Multiple Dialogue Choices

- Multiple Event Choices

- Multiple Simple Animations (Including Visual Sound Effects)

- Many Backgrounds

- Three Endings

- 30-45 Minute Gameplay

Head on over to the itch.io page to download the full game! https://iamwhatonearth.itch.io/the-town-called-data

This game took me almost 2 years to make since I was making it all by myself. It's also my first game and I'm pretty proud of it. Haha. I hope you like it too.
Attachments
Screenshot 6.png
Screenshot 5.png
Screenshot 4.png
Screenshot 3.png
Screenshot 1.png
Last edited by iamwhatonearth on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

warmsundae
Regular
Soundcloud: lanterny

Re: The Town Called Data [Atmospheric][Satire][Psychological

#2 Post by warmsundae »

Wow, two years! That's a lot of time. At first glance, the blurb looked like a sort of cliché meta-story that I have a guilty pleasure for. Looking at the screenshots, though, they seem more interesting than I expected them to be. I'll be back to this comment section once I read through it.

As for the story and writing, you might want to polish the script a bit. There's a lack of commas and a couple of grammatical errors. Putting narration in the same box as the dialogue box really threw me off at first. Also, there are a couple meta jokes that I noticed, but they're a strange type of humor that I've really taken a liking to.
And I love the characters, really. They're fairly distinct and grew on me quickly.
A fictional history of men in power wigs.
Please write a book.
The aesthetics: I have to say I seriously love the little cute figures that represent people. The music occasionally seemed out of place, but weirdly enough, I didn't mind all that much.
After choosing Sam's ending, I went back to both Ivy and Daniel's, honestly not expecting much. But at the end of each of their endings - especially Daniel's - there's a kind of hopeful aftertaste that I really like.
Overall, you've made a charming game.
Last edited by warmsundae on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#3 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Wow, thanks so much. :)

I'm glad that you liked my game and gave me such a thorough response. :D

Yeah. Haha. I wanted to do something a bit different. I really like meta stuff but I figured I could take a different approach to it. There are some subtle jokes I scattered through it too that you have to pay a little more attention to notice. lol

Oh yeah. I really tried with the music, but it's hard when you need to use royalty free instead of custom music. Haha. I ended up using over 20 tracks to fit the theme/mood which is probably a big part of why the file is so big. I'm glad you didn't mind though. :)

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#4 Post by iamwhatonearth »

I had a lot of fun with the book titles. Haha.

I meant end up writing a short story later. I'm not sure if or when I'd make another game though. If I did make another I'd try to find someone to help me I think. The game took so long since I did everything myself and it was my first game. I felt like a lot of it was staring at an error screen like "Why is this happening to me?!"

Yeah, I wanted to make sure players would come away from the game with good vibes. Good to know I pulled it off. :)

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#5 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. I have other art of the characters if you want to check it out and I'll post more eventually. I haven't finished sculpting all the main characters afterall.

You can check out the other art here. You can also find it on my tumblr if you search the tag The Town Called Data but it'd pull up my update posts too. lol

http://whatonearth.deviantart.com/galle ... alled-Data

fizzhog

#6 Post by fizzhog »

Played through and enjoyed it. Liked the graphics and the animations. Wasn't crazy about the music. Playtime more like 45 mins than 30. Enjoyed the theme - thought the humour worked well and stopped it feeling heavy handed. Hope lots of people play it.

Did notice some typo's some of which I noted down. I'll put them in a spoiler box. I think it would be worth going through the text again for typo's as they can detract from the experience significantly for some people and that would be a pity because overall it's a polished game.
powered wigs (although I enjoyed this one so much I'd prefer to see it left in! :) )
I'll had there after I finish strolling around town
The sheleves need to be restocked
I should help out the other costumers now that Ivy's gone
She said I should stop by the backery today
I should had known something was up

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#7 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Thanks for the feedback. Haha. I might get around to it eventually. It'd just it'd be a bit of a pain so I haven't gotten around to it. lol

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#8 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Thank you for the feedback! A new version is up with all the typos fixed. :)

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#9 Post by Smudgeed »

Just downloaded and played through the game! I remember seeing this when it was getting developed, happy to see that it got done :') I enjoyed the game and the meta humour. It was a really nice, feel-good sort of story. I noticed a couple of small typos, but I forgot to note them down lmao. They weren't anything big, and they didn't really bother me. Still, congratz on finishing this. I enjoyed it. I loved the book titles haha

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#10 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Oh yay! Yeah, it was a way bigger project than I originally anticipated. XD Took twice as long as I planned for but I did finish.

Glad you liked the book titles!

Aw man, I thought I caught all of them. Well I tried. Lol

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#11 Post by iamwhatonearth »

If anybody else wants to play this game I'd love to get more feedback. lol

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#12 Post by Zelan »

Hey there! I loved this game! It made me think a lot more than I was expecting. The humor was great and it balanced out the more serious philosophical-type bits of the game. The ending was a perfect way to wrap up the story.

Daniel was absolutely my favorite character; he had so many interesting and insightful things to say. Ivy was pretty cool, too. I thought it was interesting that she wasn't really religious, but she was the one who said "for Great Creator's sake" most often. I didn't talk a lot with Sam because I always went to the library instead of the toy store, but I liked him from the time that I did talk with him. He seems like the kind of person who's pretty smart but has trouble wording his thoughts so that they're easy to understand.

The animations were fantastic! They added a lot to the game, and they worked perfectly.

I did find quite a few grammatical mistakes, but I could always understand what was being said, so it wasn't a big deal. (I'm assuming that English isn't your first language?) Most of it is quite good; your biggest problems were using commas and conjugating 'to have.' I made an album on Imgur with screenshots so that they're easy to find. The images should be mostly in order but I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere. :/ Sorry about that!

Overall, I really enjoyed this VN! It was clever and thought-provoking, and I loved the simple style of the art.

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#13 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I put a lot of effort in this game. :) If you want to see Sam talk more you can go ahead and replay and put it in skip mode for what you've already seen.

Also, if you haven't played Daniel's ending I suggest you do it. He says some important character things in there.

Oh yeah, I did that on purpose. My idea was to use it to replace "oh my god". Haha. People don't really use it to actually reference god and girls tend to say it more than guys. I did think the irony was funny though.

Thanks so much for mentioning the animations! They were so much work to make. Haha.

Also, English is definitely my first language. I think you have it backwards. lol There are two types of people that have immaculate grammar, people who really care about that sort of thing and people who learned it as a second language. lol When it's your first language sometimes you don't see mistakes because you know what they should be. I already pulled this down once to extract the dialogue and run it through auto correct but obviously it wouldn't catch typos that weren't spelling mistakes. I don't know if I will add in all those commas since it would make the game seem too proper but thanks for finding typos I didn't catch myself. I'll go back and change things like worse to worst, etc. Not sure when I'll get around to this but I probably will have version 3 up eventually.