Strawberry Jam [Horror]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Marillon

Strawberry Jam [Horror]

#1 Post by Marillon »

Note: If you're having problems with the game, make sure you have the fonts MS Gothic and Lucida Calligraphy Italic installed.

All you wanted to do was try out the new pastry shop, but somehow you've found yourself in a strange new world full of... strawberries? Stranded in an unknown land with a mysterious pair of twins, you must get closer to them to learn the truth surrounding their family and the world around you.

Contains:

-A nameable protagonist

-Three different endings

-Approximately 30 minutes of playtime

I did all the writing art, and music myself within the span of about a month. This is my first time making a VN, and it's completely free.

Download here: https://marillon.itch.io/strawberry-jam
Attachments
screenshot0008.png
screenshot0006.png
screenshot0003.png

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

Re: Strawberry Jam [Horror]

#2 Post by PurpleMind »

Nice art style. How could a game about pastry and strawberries possibly be scary? Is the horror related to diabetis somehow? :P

Marillon

#3 Post by Marillon »

PurpleMind wrote:Nice art style. How could a game about pastry and strawberries possibly be scary? Is the horror related to diabetis somehow? :P
Thanks! As far as the horror aspect, all I can say is you have to play and see.

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

#4 Post by PurpleMind »

Alright! Also, is this a kinetic VN? Or are there choices to make?

Edit: blind man's revelation. :)
Last edited by PurpleMind on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Sentinel
Regular
Completed: Five in Frills

#5 Post by Dark Sentinel »

Pretty much "what" and I strongly prefer the bad end anyway.
Bug report: "Ranka is staring intently at one in particular." By the game logic, this should be narrator's phrase, not Ranka's.
Same for "She heads to the sink and starts washing the strawberries one by one."
Same for "She grabs my head..." and further.
Otherwise it's pretty fine for a first VN made, y'know. Especially if it solodev.
щ (ºДº ) щ

Marillon

#6 Post by Marillon »

Dark Sentinel wrote:Pretty much "what" and I strongly prefer the bad end anyway.
Bug report: "Ranka is staring intently at one in particular." By the game logic, this should be narrator's phrase, not Ranka's.
Same for "She heads to the sink and starts washing the strawberries one by one."
Same for "She grabs my head..." and further.
Otherwise it's pretty fine for a first VN made, y'know. Especially if it solodev.
Thanks for playing and for informing me about the bugs. Uploaded a fixed version.

fizzhog

#7 Post by fizzhog »

Played it through and enjoyed it. A fun short form game with a macabre charm. Liked the graphics. A few typos - mostly missing words. Hope my own first VN is as enjoyable as this.

Marillon

#8 Post by Marillon »

fizzhog wrote:Played it through and enjoyed it. A fun short form game with a macabre charm. Liked the graphics. A few typos - mostly missing words. Hope my own first VN is as enjoyable as this.
Thank you so much for playing and for your nice comments! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks as well for letting me know there are still typos, I'll hunt down the remaining ones soon.

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#9 Post by ebi-hime »

This was a pretty nice game. The sprites were pretty cute and expressive (with multiple poses!), and I like Ranko's design a lot... So goffick, haha XD; And the strawberry eyepatch is adorable.
It was pretty reminiscent of RPG Maker horror games, like Ib or Mad Father... It seemed to have the same kind of general atmosphere.
There's something chilling about combining cute girls and cannibalism XD;
For a first attempt, I think you did a good job! u///u
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Marillon

#10 Post by Marillon »

ebi-hime wrote:snip
I'm glad you enjoyed my game, thank you for taking the time to play! I played a few of your games enjoyed them, so I appreciate you playing and commenting on my game.

I'm a big fan of RPG Maker horror games, so I suppose it makes sense that it's reflected in this game as well.
Last edited by Marillon on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#11 Post by Miss Skizzors »

Well, well. This is an interesting one. I wasn't expecting this to really give me any spooks without actually needing to jumpscare me... "properly" (with a scream).
I loved it. Sure, it was a little... predictable. For a horror VN, strawberry jam is just an obvious euphemism for blood. I will admit that I thought I was smart the first time because I picked Ranka, jadedly believing that the adorable one would be the more dangerous of the two... but they both were.

There were loose ends not tied up about the situation and particularly Magari's intentions, so I'd actually like to see a sequel or... an afterstory. Though considering that this is a pretty short VN, I'm not expecting it. While I'm already working on my own project, you seem like you'd be a lot of fun to work with. And certainly not too innocent for my tastes. XD
In any case, I think it was a great little VN. Keep up the good work, as I hope to see more projects from you in future.

daisychainlinks

#12 Post by daisychainlinks »

This was a pretty nice little game! I love dark/scary games with cute art so it was right up my street. I really liked the character designs and just how unsettling the whole thing was in general.
I played Ranka's route first, thinking going with Ririka would be more interesting since she seemed so sweet and nice on the surface, but honestly both were brutal and just as good as each other. I think it would be interesting to find out more about Magari and her cakes, though I understand part of the creepy atmosphere of these types of games is the uncertainty aha.
On the whole it was a really great first project, good job!