Akumangel: The Madhouse Swing [Mystery][Noire][Paranormal]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Tediusman
Completed: Akumangel
Projects: Akumangel; The Madhouse Swing
Tumblr: Tediusman
Deviantart: Tediusman

Akumangel: The Madhouse Swing [Mystery][Noire][Paranormal]

#1 Post by Tediusman »

Akumangel: The Madhouse Swing is a short (3-4 hours long) detective story about the fight between heaven and hell, jazz, cigarettes and mysterious disappearances. You can download it for free on itch.io or toss us a dime if you think the game's worth it.
Synopsis:

The year is 1947, and New York City is crawling between stifling secrets and rabid hellish forces trying to take over the town. A series of powerful people from high society are disappearing, leaving the police without a clue and the public without gossip to talk about. That's when Julia Maine, a young private eye without a dime in her pockets, decides to dig between her late father's notes to find a solution to the mystery lurking in the city and consequently, to find something to eat.
Her plan doesn't seem to turn out so well, since she finds herself imprisoned in a prestigious asylum just like her father did. There she will find new friends, new allies and a whole lot of trouble when her new inmates entangle her in a murder case and in a conspiracy that seems to extend beyond the boundary of what is strictly human...

Gameplay:

The game follows a mostly linear story seen through the eyes of the protagonist, Julia Maine. As the plot unfolds between demonic omens and unexplainable events, the player will be able to choose how to progress with Julia's investigation. Being too incautious can lead to a disastrous outcome, but it's necessary to risk something to uncover some clues. Once enough clues are gathered, the path to a better conclusion can be achieved, but don't just expect a good ending to come into your hands! After all, it will be the player's responsibility to point their fingers to the true culprit in the end...

Featuring:
  • Multiple endings based on the player's style of investigation
    About 4 hours of gameplay (about 45.000 words)
    A hard-boiled detective story spiced up with supernatural elements
    A handful of jazzy tunes complete with a smooth saxophone!
Gallery:
The screenshots are in Italian, but do not fret, the game is also fully translated in English!

About:

Our project has finally come to an end! It may not seem like much has changed since the announcement thread, and well, that's mostly because we've been busy with the english translation and the beta testing. We really, really hope this release will be of decent quality, because we poured our heart and soul into it even though it's such a small project. Please enjoy it!

*Warning: the game is intended for mature audiences and contains explicit language as well as explicit descriptions of violence. You can consult a more complete list of trigger warnings at our site

EricaLee22

Re: Akumangel: The Madhouse Swing [Mystery][Noire][Paranorma

#2 Post by EricaLee22 »

This looks awesome!! I love mysteries

nue-tella
Tumblr: zombie-nue
Deviantart: nue-kryszak

#3 Post by nue-tella »

I've only just started this, but so far it's really interesting! (I'm rlly liking the music, as well)

Tediusman
Completed: Akumangel
Projects: Akumangel; The Madhouse Swing
Tumblr: Tediusman
Deviantart: Tediusman

#4 Post by Tediusman »

EricaLee22 wrote: This looks awesome!! I love mysteries
Thank you! I hope you have a blast playing it.
nue-tella wrote:I've only just started this, but so far it's really interesting! (I'm rlly liking the music, as well)
I'm glad you liked the music! I think Karziu's done a great job on the soundtrack, considering how he wasn't really familiar with jazzy music before.

On other news, we just uploaded the Italian version! It's noticeably slimmer, since we took the opportunity to optimize the game files. We'll definitely update the English version later too.