ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

Re: ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?]

#16 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:Heeeyyyyyyy guess who finally booted this game up and played a few stories? (I'm so late I'm sorry)
Hey Zelan! I'm glad you finally got around to it. (... I've about given up on you. ;P )
Zelan wrote:I went with Ghost and Wizard and the very first ending that I got was "Tell Them How You Feel!" I have to say I was not expected those feels from such a lighthearted game. ^_^ You did an amazing job writing that lesson!

Speaking of writing - the whole thing is just fantastic. I can't even properly express how fantastic. But, for anyone who's on the fence about downloading this, you'll love it if you're into comedy. The jokes are on point throughout the entire thing, or at least all of it that I've played so far.
Thanks so much! It was fun writing all those plot threads (... and at times a little tedious coming up with new directions to take the story). I tried to throw in a mix of ridiculous humor, often culminating in sock puppet violence, with some thoughtful lessons/morals (sometimes they're just as nonsensical, though).
Zelan wrote:I'd also just like to say that I really appreciated that the choices were grayed out once I'd gone through every branch possible. I was starting to worry that I was going to need to draw myself one of those probability trees so that I wouldn't replay the same endings over and over. That's some clever programming indeed. ^_^
I think I will have to post a walkthrough at some point to help people out. I knew the repetition was going to be a problem, so keeping track of your selected options was really the least I could do. This was pretty experimental for me overall, and I wouldn't make a game like this again, but it was a fun project. Let me know if you have the patience to actually finish it! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#17 Post by Zelan »

Oh, I'm definitely going to finish it! ^_^ It's less a matter of patience and more a matter of time. I really shouldn't even be online right now with my amount of homework, but I really needed a break between chapters. (I'm appreciating more and more how difficult it is to read in a language that isn't your first language. :/)

But hey, I've got a four-day weekend coming up, so I should be able to get back to it very soon! :D

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#18 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:Oh, I'm definitely going to finish it! ^_^ It's less a matter of patience and more a matter of time. I really shouldn't even be online right now with my amount of homework, but I really needed a break between chapters. (I'm appreciating more and more how difficult it is to read in a language that isn't your first language. :/)

But hey, I've got a four-day weekend coming up, so I should be able to get back to it very soon! :D
Hey, I'd be impressed if you finished it! :)
So far only a couple of people have contacted me who have completed all 30 Lessons.
Let me know what you think of the finale when you reach it. ;P

P.S. Good luck with your language studies (what are you learning?).
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Zelan »

LeonDaydreamer wrote:Hey, I'd be impressed if you finished it! :)
So far only a couple of people have contacted me who have completed all 30 Lessons.
Let me know what you think of the finale when you reach it. ;P

P.S. Good luck with your language studies (what are you learning?).
I'm learning Spanish. c: I enjoy it, and I'd really like to be able to speak it fluently one day, but it's definitely tough. (We're reading Como Agua Para Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, if you're familiar with that book.)

I finished all of the Princess and Stable Boy lessons! ^_^ He's such a hilarious character. Fish Are Not Vegetables! and Happily Never After! were probably my two favorite endings.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#20 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:I'm learning Spanish. c: I enjoy it, and I'd really like to be able to speak it fluently one day, but it's definitely tough. (We're reading Como Agua Para Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, if you're familiar with that book.)
Oh, muy bien. :) Spanish is great, because you can use it in so many different countries.
The title is familiar, but I haven't read it.
Zelan wrote:I finished all of the Princess and Stable Boy lessons! ^_^ He's such a hilarious character. Fish Are Not Vegetables! and Happily Never After! were probably my two favorite endings.
Haha! Yeah, the Stable Boy is my favourite. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Zelan »

:D I've found all 30 lessons! <3 I think the Princess and Wizard ended up being my favorite pair overall. The combination of spunky dialogue and flippant retorts were just fantastic - the two characters bounce off of one another really well. Depth of Feelings! and Atomic Wedgie were both great endings. I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite out of all 30, though. They were just too great!

I also can't believe that I got Rickrolled by a visual novel. That's a first. I legit stared at my screen in disbelief for a few seconds. :P

(By the way, small bug report - after my first time learning a lesson with the Ghost and Stable Boy pairing, the sunset background changes to the daytime background for the rest of those playthroughs. It's only reset if I change characters.)

Overall, 10/10, 100/100, five stars, best game. I enjoyed myself so much playing this game; it was able to evade both laughter and emotion, which is definitely an accomplishment.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#22 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote::D I've found all 30 lessons! <3 I think the Princess and Wizard ended up being my favorite pair overall. The combination of spunky dialogue and flippant retorts were just fantastic - the two characters bounce off of one another really well. Depth of Feelings! and Atomic Wedgie were both great endings. I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite out of all 30, though. They were just too great!
Awesome, you did it! :) You may be the third person to finish it through to the end.
What did you think of the finale?
Zelan wrote:I also can't believe that I got Rickrolled by a visual novel. That's a first. I legit stared at my screen in disbelief for a few seconds. :P
Heehee... I tired not to overuse it, that was pretty much Countess Astley's main purpose in life. :P
Zelan wrote:(By the way, small bug report - after my first time learning a lesson with the Ghost and Stable Boy pairing, the sunset background changes to the daytime background for the rest of those playthroughs. It's only reset if I change characters.)
Oh, junk. I can't believe I didn't spot that (nor had anyone else I've shown the game to). Shucks, I think I'm just going to leave it, though... I'm focusing on other projects right now.
Zelan wrote:Overall, 10/10, 100/100, five stars, best game. I enjoyed myself so much playing this game; it was able to evade both laughter and emotion, which is definitely an accomplishment.
Haha! Thanks Zelan!
I assume you meant 'evoke', it wouldn't be too great if the game evaded laughter and emotion. :P
I'm really glad you liked it! And thanks for playing it all the way through! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Zelan »

LeonDaydreamer wrote:Awesome, you did it! :) You may be the third person to finish it through to the end.
What did you think of the finale?
It was perfect! I was attached to all three (seven?) characters by the end of it, so the final lesson made me smile to see.
LeonDayDreamer wrote:I assume you meant 'evoke', it wouldn't be too great if the game evaded laughter and emotion. :P
I'm really glad you liked it! And thanks for playing it all the way through! :)
Whoops. Yeah, that's the word I was going for. cx

Thanks for sticking with it even though NaNo didn't work out! I remember that this was one that I was excited for since it seemed so different from a lot of the other ones out there.

I'll have to try out Ghosts are Good Hosts soon, too! (Although based on my track record I probably won't actually play it until February. :^) Hopefully Thanksgiving break gives me a chance to get through some of that backlog.)

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#24 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:It was perfect! I was attached to all three (seven?) characters by the end of it, so the final lesson made me smile to see.
Hehe, sweet. :)
Zelan wrote:Thanks for sticking with it even though NaNo didn't work out! I remember that this was one that I was excited for since it seemed so different from a lot of the other ones out there.
Yeah, I did get a little discouraged when things didn't work out with my first programmer, but once I found someone reliable everything slowly began coming together. :)
Zelan wrote:I'll have to try out Ghosts are Good Hosts soon, too! (Although based on my track record I probably won't actually play it until February. :^) Hopefully Thanksgiving break gives me a chance to get through some of that backlog.)
Make sure to post in the Ghosts Are Good Hosts thread if you wind up checking it out! That one is arguably more complicated, I was writing it as more of an adventure type game with things to resolve. :P Either way, let me know what you think! And have a nice Thanksgiving break.
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#25 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

THE WALKTHROUGH TO PUT A SOCK IN IT!

Put A Sock In It! got an amazing review from PC PowerPlay Magazine.
This is officially the first time something I worked on was published in print (with the exception of certain scientific papers I may have edited).

The lady who wrote the review is one of the rare few I have heard of who actually played the game all the way through. So to celebrate, I thought I would release:

THE WALKTHROUGH TO PUT A SOCK IN IT!

Check it out if you've been discouraged by the seeming aimlessness of the game in the past, and let me know what you think! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?]+Walkthr

#26 Post by Zelan »

Woah, congratulations!! ^_^ Where can I get a copy of this magazine? I Googled it and it says it's Australian... might be difficult to obtain from here in the States.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#27 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:Woah, congratulations!! ^_^ Where can I get a copy of this magazine? I Googled it and it says it's Australian... might be difficult to obtain from here in the States.
Thanks Zelan! :) It was actually a full-page spread on Put A Sock In It! It really went deep into the game, I was amazed!
Yup, it was indeed a review written by a nice Australian lady for an Australian games magazine.
I don't have a copy of it either, but she was kind enough to send me a photo of the page.
I feel weird posting it, since I didn't take the photo and the spread itself would be copyrighted material, but here's a snippit from it:

ImageImageImageImage

glithch
Regular

#28 Post by glithch »

♦ How did you like the game (and what about it)?: I really like the art to be honest! And everything animates very smoothly and cool
♦ Who is your favorite sock character? The princess i think?
♦ What were some of your favorite endings/developments (use the spoiler tag please)?
i liked it when the princess took the ring from the wizard and was a badass about it
♦ What did you think about the lessons (did you learn them all and finish the game)? Didnt finish the game unfortunately. tried to but i got super irritated when i noticed that you need to get all the possible sock combos. i guess i just dont have that attention span

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#29 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

glithch wrote:♦ What were some of your favorite endings/developments (use the spoiler tag please)? - I liked it when the princess took the ...
Hey glithch! I really like adventure games, this is pretty much as close to solving a puzzle as Put A Sock In It! gets. :P
glithch wrote:Didnt finish the game unfortunately. tried to but i got super irritated when i noticed that you need to get all the possible sock combos. i guess i just dont have that attention span
Yeah, I know it gets repetitive. You don't need to go through all of the combinations to finish, just the ones where you learn lessons (30 out of 108). I made a walkthrough, because I knew it would get too daunting for a lot of people.

Thanks for checking out the game. :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#30 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

PCPowerPlay finally published their awesome review of Put A Sock In It! on their website! :)

Check it out here! [Link]
ImageImageImageImage