Natalie - a game about work-life balance

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kenibatz
Completed: Natalie, Nobody Understands MIA
Tumblr: kenibatz
Deviantart: kenibatz
itch: kenibatz

Natalie - a game about work-life balance

#1 Post by kenibatz »

Hi everyone! I'd like to share the release of my first visual novel, "Natalie".

"Natalie" is a free life-simulator visual novel. Natalie has an important project to finish within a week and you help her choose what to prioritize and sacrifice.

Although a short story (approximately 20 minutes for a single gameplay), the game has multiple endings and what you choose to do affects the ending.

Please let me know what you think and kindly leave a review on Itch.io if you have an account. Your feedback will help me learn what to do for my next game. Thank you very much and enjoy!

Updates:
December 19, 2016 - fixed typos and grammar errors. (Thanks Zelan!)

Download and play for free: https://kenibatz.itch.io/natalie

Last edited by kenibatz on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Natalie - a game about work-life balance

#2 Post by Zelan »

I liked your game! It was short but fun, and I ended up playing through it 5 or six times to see the different endings that I could get. I liked all three of the characters - you did a great job characterizing them even though there was so little room for it. The art style is very pleasing as well - I liked all of Natalie's expressions, and the white border around each character grew on me even though it's not something that I think I've seen before.

My only complaint is that there were a few typos, which I have screenshots of at this link. c: Other than that, solid game!

kenibatz

#3 Post by kenibatz »

Zelan wrote:I liked your game! It was short but fun, and I ended up playing through it 5 or six times to see the different endings that I could get. I liked all three of the characters - you did a great job characterizing them even though there was so little room for it. The art style is very pleasing as well - I liked all of Natalie's expressions, and the white border around each character grew on me even though it's not something that I think I've seen before.

My only complaint is that there were a few typos, which I have screenshots of at this link. c: Other than that, solid game!
Thank you very much, Zelan! :D

I'm happy you liked the game! I'm planning more stories and a webcomic with these characters.

The white border is a technique I learned from comic books, especially those that were printed with no color or those with a more "cartoonish" style. Supposedly, the border helps separate the character from the background.

Thank you for making the effort to point out the typos! I'm extremely grateful; the typos will be corrected in the next update. :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zelan »

Oh, awesome!! I was wondering if I might get to see these characters again. ^_^ Please link any new stuff you do with them here!

No problem about the typos, it was my pleasure. c: Also, I forgot to mention that I liked being able to choose between the three music tracks - 'Buddy' was my favorite.

kenibatz

#5 Post by kenibatz »

Zelan wrote:Oh, awesome!! I was wondering if I might get to see these characters again. ^_^ Please link any new stuff you do with them here!

No problem about the typos, it was my pleasure. c: Also, I forgot to mention that I liked being able to choose between the three music tracks - 'Buddy' was my favorite.
I definitely will! :)

I love that song too! When I heard it, I knew it would be perfect for the game. I felt the game and story presented an opportunity to let the player choose different music tracks, just as anybody could in real life. :D

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#6 Post by Mammon »

Nice game, Kenibatz, I unfortunately can't leave a review on itch.io as I have no account for it so I'll just do it here.

It was a fun short game (Games I can play in one go are my favorites). You made a good feel for it, just one call with Zozo a day, play a few times and work most of the time. With some good indicators to show which one would need to be stepped up, I had no problem succeeding all three objectives in the first playthrough. Maybe I'd have a more difficult time if I wouldn't accept help whenever Jennifer offered it? Meh, it seemed like something Natalie would do. I actually had to intentionally screw up in the next playthroughs to see the bad endings.

Good game!
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

kenibatz

#7 Post by kenibatz »

Mammon wrote:Nice game, Kenibatz, I unfortunately can't leave a review on itch.io as I have no account for it so I'll just do it here.

It was a fun short game (Games I can play in one go are my favorites). You made a good feel for it, just one call with Zozo a day, play a few times and work most of the time. With some good indicators to show which one would need to be stepped up, I had no problem succeeding all three objectives in the first playthrough. Maybe I'd have a more difficult time if I wouldn't accept help whenever Jennifer offered it? Meh, it seemed like something Natalie would do. I actually had to intentionally screw up in the next playthroughs to see the bad endings.

Good game!
Thank you very much, Mammon! I'm glad you liked the game. :D

Congrats for succeeding with all the three goals on your first playthrough! I had hoped people would find the game fun and easy, but will be curious enough to try the different routes. I suspect this will be the typical style of visual novels I will make in the future. :D

You are right that Natalie would be more inclined to work with Jennifer. Did you also like the route where Natalie became an overachiever? :D

Natalie, Jen, and Zozo will return soon. Originally, there was going to be another game with Zozo as the main character, but the holiday season kept me busy. :D

Incidentally, the new game I'm working on will be a dark fantasy dating-ish game set in a whole new world with a bunch of new characters. It's somewhat inspired by Disgaea so I hope you'll check that game out, too. :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

kenibatz wrote:You are right that Natalie would be more inclined to work with Jennifer. Did you also like the route where Natalie became an overachiever? :D
For some reason it never, ever occurred to me to keep working after getting 100% on the game progress. I had to open up the game and play through that ending as soon as I saw this comment. It's such a great ending! ^_^ And I like that you don't have to completely ignore Zozo to get it - I still hung out with her three times. And Jennifer's face was priceless. cx
Incidentally, the new game I'm working on will be a dark fantasy dating-ish game set in a whole new world with a bunch of new characters. It's somewhat inspired by Disgaea so I hope you'll check that game out, too. :D
Dark fantasy? Count me in. ^_^

kenibatz

#9 Post by kenibatz »

Zelan wrote:
kenibatz wrote:You are right that Natalie would be more inclined to work with Jennifer. Did you also like the route where Natalie became an overachiever? :D
For some reason it never, ever occurred to me to keep working after getting 100% on the game progress. I had to open up the game and play through that ending as soon as I saw this comment. It's such a great ending! ^_^ And I like that you don't have to completely ignore Zozo to get it - I still hung out with her three times. And Jennifer's face was priceless. cx
Dark fantasy? Count me in. ^_^
Thank you for the kind words, Zelan! ^_^

I believe Zozo is the kind of friend who considers "quality time" as her primary love language, but is reasonable enough to give you space when you need it--to a certain degree. ^o^

Jennifer has a very cool and calm personality, and it was fun discovering what would shake her composure.

BTW, I also gave you a little shout-out in the credits section (of version 1.01) as a "thank you" for helping me out with the typos. ^.^

My dark fantasy project will be posted in this forum next month. I hope to publish it just before Valentine's. ^o^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Zelan »

kenibatz wrote:BTW, I also gave you a little shout-out in the credits section (of version 1.01) as a "thank you" for helping me out with the typos. ^.^

My dark fantasy project will be posted in this forum next month. I hope to publish it just before Valentine's. ^o^
Aww, really? Thank you so much! ^_^ I'm looking forward to your next project!