A Dating Sim set on a Volcano [comedy][short]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
qualifiedbadger

A Dating Sim set on a Volcano [comedy][short]

#1 Post by qualifiedbadger »

lemma_image.jpg
LOVE ON A VOLCANO

VOLCANO OF LOVE!

LAVA ME LONG TIME

You're trying to find love on a volcano when it starts to erupt!

The only way to stop it is to complete 3 volcanic trials with a partner, to prove that you both have 'True Love' together.

Problem is, you've only just met them this morning... And they're a bit weird... But if you don't do it the volcano will kill everyone. So try your best.

Mostly comedy. Only about 20-30 minutes in length. 2 girl routes and 1 hot guy route.
Special thanks to all the Creative Commons artists and resources used! Credits all in-game and in CREDITS.txt

Download here!

Any feedback or critique very welcome! This is my 7th game I've released, so feel free to be savage if you don't like it! :lol:

If you want to give specific feedback, how about:
1. Did you like the characters? Too silly or just right?
2. Too much animation? Or not enough?
3. Did you get confused? Were there any scenes you didn't like?

nekobara
Regular

Re: A Dating Sim set on a Volcano [comedy][short]

#2 Post by nekobara »

1. Did you like the characters? Too silly or just right?
They were very silly. Too silly? Maaayyybbeeee...... But that's okay! :wink:

Animation levels check out. Er, I think. :lol:

Did I get confused... Hmm. Let's see... YES!!! I WAS CONFUSED EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF PLAYING BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I MINDED SINCE PLAYING THIS GAME MADE ME LOSE MY MIND SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :mrgreen:

Also, I just thought that I'd let you know that playing your game has resulted in the loss of a couple of my brain cells. I'm in the process of setting up the funeral arrangements. So thank you for that, as well! :lol:

But overall, I think I liked it? So yeah! Praise the Guardian of the Volcano! :D

Oh, I almost forgot. There is one question that I have: Why is the professor always smiling? IS HE A SADIST?! Or just really dense?
*meow*

qualifiedbadger

#3 Post by qualifiedbadger »

nekobara wrote:1. Did you like the characters? Too silly or just right?
They were very silly. Too silly? Maaayyybbeeee...... But that's okay! :wink:

Animation levels check out. Er, I think. :lol:

Did I get confused... Hmm. Let's see... YES!!! I WAS CONFUSED EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF PLAYING BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I MINDED SINCE PLAYING THIS GAME MADE ME LOSE MY MIND SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :mrgreen:

Also, I just thought that I'd let you know that playing your game has resulted in the loss of a couple of my brain cells. I'm in the process of setting up the funeral arrangements. So thank you for that, as well! :lol:

But overall, I think I liked it? So yeah! Praise the Guardian of the Volcano! :D

Oh, I almost forgot. There is one question that I have: Why is the professor always smiling? IS HE A SADIST?! Or just really dense?
Thanks for playing! Glad you liked it :P

No, the professor's not a sadist!
(Well, he flew off on the helicopter and left everyone to die on the volcano, so I guess he kind of is??)
He's actually always smiling because I got the sprite from the Creative Commons sections, here... and he only had one expression, hehe :wink: I'm trying to learn art, so I guess I could've changed his face a bit... But I didn't think anyone would actually notice his expression never changed, hehe... You caught me :cry:

Very sorry about your brain cells. Hopefully they'll grow back. If not, eat more fish oil. RIP nekobara's brain cells. :wink:

nekobara
Regular

#4 Post by nekobara »

qualifiedbadger wrote:He's actually always smiling because I got the sprite from the Creative Commons sections, here... and he only had one expression, hehe :wink: I'm trying to learn art, so I guess I could've changed his face a bit... But I didn't think anyone would actually notice his expression never changed, hehe... You caught me :cry:
There's only one plausible explanation as to why the professor is always, always smiling: he's an in-the-closet sadist. It's his dark secret.
He accidentally came out when his fear got the best of him and he left everyone for dead.
So I guess that's really just too bad for him...and everyone else.

By the way, you should've known someone would notice since we're born with eyeballs and most people aren't blind. :wink:
*meow*

qualifiedbadger

#5 Post by qualifiedbadger »

nekobara wrote:There's only one plausible explanation as to why the professor is always, always smiling: he's an in-the-closet sadist. It's his dark secret.
He accidentally came out when his fear got the best of him and he left everyone for dead.
So I guess that's really just too bad for him...and everyone else.

By the way, you should've known someone would notice since we're born with eyeballs and most people aren't blind. :wink:
Oh no, you're right! The professor must secretly be evil :( And he managed to escape the island alive! Maybe he'll end up in another game and try to kill everyone again. We should've stopped him when we had the chance...

People are born with eyeballs now?? I must be getting old! Back in my day, everyone was born in robot suits. We had to see the world by scanning it with lasers. That's why I didn't think anyone would notice a sprite that didn't change emotion. I'll update my brain-module now to remember this new information, thanks for letting a fellow robot like me know! Bzzzzt!

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#6 Post by paradigmshifty »

Haha XD

I still have no idea what this game is even called, it seems to have like 5 or more different titles O.O

I think the comedy timings in the writing were really good, and, of course, there is ATL comedy in abundance as with your previous games! As for the question of was it too much ATL... I don't know, maybe? a little bit? but it feels like there is supposed to be too much.. so that means it was just the right amount? ish
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

qualifiedbadger

#7 Post by qualifiedbadger »

paradigmshifty wrote:Haha XD

I still have no idea what this game is even called, it seems to have like 5 or more different titles O.O

I think the comedy timings in the writing were really good, and, of course, there is ATL comedy in abundance as with your previous games! As for the question of was it too much ATL... I don't know, maybe? a little bit? but it feels like there is supposed to be too much.. so that means it was just the right amount? ish
Haha, thanks for the feedback XD

True story: When I was making the logo/title screen, I realized I had written completely the wrong title! :mrgreen: It was supposed to be "Volcano of Love" but for some reason I wrote "Love on a Volcano" instead... No idea why... I had already called it "Volcano of Love" on itch.io so I either had to change the game page or the logo... So I decided to do neither and confuse everybody :mrgreen:

It's true, there's a lot of ATL... The script went from about 1,000 lines of renpy to 2,500 (?) after adding in the ATL :shock: (Although some of that was just comments)

But yeah I'm not sure if so much ATL made it better or worse. It's definitely fun to look at though, hehe :P And I know there are other games that have even more animation sooo.... IDK Lol!

Pikachewy99
Projects: FAE Simulator
Tumblr: nazzledazzleandwolfwolf
Deviantart: Pikachewy99

#8 Post by Pikachewy99 »

Can I just start out by saying oh my god, this game was amazing. I didn't expect to smile as much or laugh as hard as I did, and had a wonderful experience, so like, A++++ to you for that, my night just got a whole lot better. I saw that you had created 'Yum Yum! Dating Show' (which I had seen someone play on youtube- that was hilarious too) and figured that this game would be a blast, and boy, I'm so happy that I played it! Thank you for making this wonderful game!

1. I loved the characters, and I loved the silliness. It was over the top, which was what made it perfect. xD

2. Too much animation? Definitely not. I really loved the animaitons, and they added so much to my experience- it definitely wouldn't have been as fun without them! Now you've inspired me to learn how to do them myself, 'cause they really made the experience great!
I laughed so hard at the 'Guy' animations, especially when you picked him in his route x'D
...Wait a minute, did we ever get to learn his name? Oh god, I hope I didn't miss that...
3. Nope, all was cleared to me! I found all the scenes charming and funny- I just overall had a super fun time, I definitely need to try out the other things you made. ;P

qualifiedbadger

#9 Post by qualifiedbadger »

Pikachewy99 wrote:Can I just start out by saying oh my god, this game was amazing. I didn't expect to smile as much or laugh as hard as I did, and had a wonderful experience, so like, A++++ to you for that, my night just got a whole lot better. I saw that you had created 'Yum Yum! Dating Show' (which I had seen someone play on youtube- that was hilarious too) and figured that this game would be a blast, and boy, I'm so happy that I played it! Thank you for making this wonderful game!

1. I loved the characters, and I loved the silliness. It was over the top, which was what made it perfect. xD

2. Too much animation? Definitely not. I really loved the animaitons, and they added so much to my experience- it definitely wouldn't have been as fun without them! Now you've inspired me to learn how to do them myself, 'cause they really made the experience great!
I laughed so hard at the 'Guy' animations, especially when you picked him in his route x'D
...Wait a minute, did we ever get to learn his name? Oh god, I hope I didn't miss that...
3. Nope, all was cleared to me! I found all the scenes charming and funny- I just overall had a super fun time, I definitely need to try out the other things you made. ;P
Thanks a lot for the kind feedback! Glad you also found it funny haha! :lol:
You're right, you never find out the Guy's name XD I guess I kinda forgot haha...
Yeah, Ren'Py's awesome animation language is great fun to use! :mrgreen: You can read the script.rpy file in the game to see how the animations are done, I won't mind if you use it to make your own stuff! And I'm not an expert, but if you ever need help feel free to PM me, I'll try and help!

Pikachewy99
Projects: FAE Simulator
Tumblr: nazzledazzleandwolfwolf
Deviantart: Pikachewy99

#10 Post by Pikachewy99 »

qualifiedbadger wrote: Thanks a lot for the kind feedback! Glad you also found it funny haha! :lol:
You're right, you never find out the Guy's name XD I guess I kinda forgot haha...
Yeah, Ren'Py's awesome animation language is great fun to use! :mrgreen: You can read the script.rpy file in the game to see how the animations are done, I won't mind if you use it to make your own stuff! And I'm not an expert, but if you ever need help feel free to PM me, I'll try and help!
You're welcome! c:
Dang... It will forever be a mystery... XD
Oh, okay, thank you! I'll be sure to have a look, then, and I'll be sure to PM you if I have any trouble understanding how the code works. :mrgreen: