One Million Kisses

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

One Million Kisses

#1 Post by mikey »

Hi everyone,

Here is "One Million Kisses", a very short 10-minute multi-end VN.

It's a simple story, it's not meant to be sweet, there are no hidden meanings and no purpose other than that I did it because I felt like it yesterday/today. And I made everything myself, so I'm proud of it, given the fact I've never really drawn.

There are some keys - CTRL+Right to go forward and CTRL+Left for backwards, if you need to use them for replays, with the mouse you can only advance and not go back. No saving possible.

Anyway, there isn't a lot more to say.
http://atp.manga.sk/pages/omk.htm

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

Re: One Million Kisses

#2 Post by Aashtarsrain »

:D Very nice ! Beautiful and simple. Poetic and efficient story-telling. Very enjoyable. Thank you for this !

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by mikey »

Thank you! As cliched as it sounds, if just one person sincerely liked it, there isn't anything more one could want, I'm really happy. :P

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

Aww, I think it's sweet! Finally something new from ATP projects, and with a girl point of view! It's already nice, maybe if you put some music in it....

herenvardo
Veteran

#5 Post by herenvardo »

I just needed a rest from all the RPGish stuff I'm dealing with, and I gave this a go. I don't regret it. That's a beautiful, inspired story; the story-telling itself is good enough; and despite you say you've never drawn, you have a definitely good taste for combining colors to convey emotion. Simply good. I hope to stumble upon stuff like this more often.
azureXtwilight wrote:maybe if you put some music in it....
I agree that good matching music could be an improvement; but you'd need to get it right: everything (concepts+words+images+colors) in the game is so well matched that the wrong music would feel... well, just wrong.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by mikey »

azureXtwilight wrote:Aww, I think it's sweet! Finally something new from ATP projects, and with a girl point of view! It's already nice, maybe if you put some music in it....
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it - originally it was supposed to just be a narrative, and then from a male POV, but then it made even more sense from the girl's POV. And all of this was decided within an hour :)

As for music, I planned it without music from the start (also in regards to herenvardo's response - indeed there was no music intended), and there was another thing, I also wanted to make the download less than 2MB (the smallest I've ever had - Kaori has around 2.3 MB, so I wanted to make it even smaller, as an extra challenge), and I thought it was going to be just under 2 MB, but it turned out 1.1 MB packed, so it was better than expected.
herenvardo wrote:I just needed a rest from all the RPGish stuff I'm dealing with, and I gave this a go. I don't regret it. That's a beautiful, inspired story; the story-telling itself is good enough; and despite you say you've never drawn, you have a definitely good taste for combining colors to convey emotion. Simply good. I hope to stumble upon stuff like this more often.
Thank you for playing, it's nice to hear that this was a bit of a break - since it was for me, too, in a way, as I am still working on ATP's current main project and this was an unscheduled weekend game. As to the colors, I wanted to have this I think it's called "dither" look, a bit grainy, also for the sprites. The advantage was that it saved file size, I think the maximum color count was 256 colors.

And thanks for the encouragement in drawing! Though I don't plan on becoming an artist, it's nice to know that I can do it to a certain degree. This is also thanks to or new scanner, it would be impossible to do it without it.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by N0UGHTS »

The BGs are gorgeous...

Just played it. I'm not sure I can really add to this feedback, but regardless, I want to say that I thought it was [some positive adjective other than sweet because that's the only thing I can think of :p], refreshing, and fun all the way through. The basis of the story was also pretty novel; tell me, how did you get that idea? Did it just pop into your head? And man, do I envy you for being able to write short stories as good as this. I can't. (T_T)

The character art didn't bother me at all; the pros outweighed the cons too much. And I, personally, think that getting someone to think like that, stick with the game, and give praise is quite an achievement, especially if the game is as short as yours.

As for the music discussion: I can play with or without music. Though I think herenvardo's right; if you choose to put in music, you'll have to be careful as to not mess up the atmosphere of the game and whatnot.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

Let's see.....a game made by mikey on a *spur of the moment* thing? MUST PLAY!

Outside of lack of music, it is CUTE and FUNNY and definitely worth it! Granted, I'm a story-first guy but the graphics were fine - envious that you can do this on a whim! - the character were enganging - esp
Father chewing out Rain for daring to be with a human...I thought that was GREAT!
You've got another great game here, mikey! Keep it up, These little minigames are a lot of fun!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

N0UGHTS wrote:The basis of the story was also pretty novel; tell me, how did you get that idea? Did it just pop into your head? And man, do I envy you for being able to write short stories as good as this. I can't. (T_T)
Thank you! The idea, I just woke up and had it, there was no particular trigger I think - I wanted to do something completely different, something with a condensed storyline. I may have been inspired by the various children's Flash intreractive stories and also I liked the concept of Hikari No Ribbon and I always thought that one day some day maybe if the time is right I could do something like this, a very small story - and so it came about, I would say. It was really the moment.
N0UGHTS wrote:The character art didn't bother me at all; the pros outweighed the cons too much. And I, personally, think that getting someone to think like that, stick with the game, and give praise is quite an achievement, especially if the game is as short as yours.
This means a lot to me, and it also reminded me I wanted to catch up on some of the released games myself (dreams of the skies for example) - I'm a bit consumed with my ongoing game, so it's difficult to find some quality time, well, I'll do my best.
musical74 wrote:Let's see.....a game made by mikey on a *spur of the moment* thing? MUST PLAY!
Outside of lack of music, it is CUTE and FUNNY and definitely worth it! Granted, I'm a story-first guy but the graphics were fine - envious that you can do this on a whim!
You've got another great game here, mikey! Keep it up, These little minigames are a lot of fun!
I'm glad you liked it! It's great to know that even these minigames have their place. I wasn't really sure how to present it, to be honest, since it's so tiny. So I'm happy it worked.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

Well, this is a surprise release from you.

First of all, let me just say that I liked the way you presented this story; from the graphics to the choice of fonts and colors. The lack of music did kinda bother me initially, but that went away as I got into the story.

I love the concept of One Million Kisses and the way you used the supernatural elements to tell a sweet, feel-good story.

It felt like everything within the story revolved around a particular theme. I can't quite put it into words, but it was very well-executed if that was your intention.

If I had one complaint about this game, (and this is a personal gripe) it would be the ending. I kinda wish it had ended in a more bittersweet tone, but again, this is just because that's the kind of story that I like to tell.

I'm also happy to see that a deliberately unpolished game like this is still well-received.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

lordcloudx wrote:First of all, let me just say that I liked the way you presented this story; from the graphics to the choice of fonts and colors.
The lack of music did kinda bother me initially, but that went away as I got into the story.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for commenting!
lordcloudx wrote:I love the concept of One Million Kisses and the way you used the supernatural elements to tell a sweet, feel-good story.
It felt like everything within the story revolved around a particular theme. I can't quite put it into words, but it was very well-executed if that was your intention.
I'm not going to try to seem like I consiously know, the truth is I just did the game the way it felt right to me - I certainly hope there was something that connected all the elements, but I didn't think about it before making it and I don't want to make things up now to seem smart :)
lordcloudx wrote:If I had one complaint about this game, (and this is a personal gripe) it would be the ending. I kinda wish it had ended in a more bittersweet tone, but again, this is just because that's the kind of story that I like to tell.
I understand - well, but you probably already know me and how I don't like bittersweet endings, so... :)
lordcloudx wrote:I'm also happy to see that a deliberately unpolished game like this is still well-received.
For the drawing part, I gave it my all, though. But it feels really nice when the game is enjoyed for what it is. Really, what more could one want.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#12 Post by lordcloudx »

mikey wrote:For the drawing part, I gave it my all, though. But it feels really nice when the game is enjoyed for what it is. Really, what more could one want.
Hehe! It's just that I felt that this game wasn't trying to be the next benchmark OELVN with the lack of music and all.

As for the art... :)
These are my sentiments from last night.
<lordcloudx> hmm...
<lordcloudx> maybe I'll give mikey's new game a shot
<lordcloudx> wha? If he drew the characters, he's not too bad at it
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

A22 is awesome

#13 Post by A22 is awesome »

Backgrounds are bad. Colors are an eyesore.

Sprites are bad. No blending of colors, too flat. Also having the characters hide their hands behind their backs is like the oldest trick in the book, but eventually you kind of have to show hands.

No music. Music is very important in a VN, and this had no music. Could have at least thrown something together in garageband, at least.

Even if you do it yourself, there should be a higher standard of quality. Maybe even moreso as doing it yourself, you have absolute control. If you're going to try and justify it by saying "it was a rush job," that is a poor excuse.

You should have taken more time.

In before troll.

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

#14 Post by Aashtarsrain »

Again ? :roll: That's not the spirit...

A22 is awesome

#15 Post by A22 is awesome »

They're all valid criticisms. A lack of music hurts the game. So do the overly flat, bright colors that do not mesh at all, and the unvaried sprites.

No music = losing out on a huge part of the gameplay experience. Good music can make a scene and lift writing and visuals beyond what they are. Having no music at all? Kiss one opportunity for immersion goodbye.

Stale sprites are pointless, because they don't do what sprites are supposed to do: Express.