Red String of Fate [GxB][Otome|Fantasy|Slice of Life|Comedy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Windchimes
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS (NaNoRenO '17)
Projects: The Masquerade Killer, Lads in Distress (Expansion)
Organization: Ebullience Games, Catfish Crew
Tumblr: windchimesx
itch: ebullience-games

Red String of Fate [GxB][Otome|Fantasy|Slice of Life|Comedy]

#1 Post by Windchimes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:12 am

Official website | Tumblr | Twitter

Main Characters

Previews
Click the pic to view the bigger version of the image!
Image Image Image

Itch.io | Steam
Mirror: Windows | Mac | Linux

Jan 28:
Uploaded a new build to fix a bug in Aaron's route! If you are still using v.1.0 and you encounter a bug in Aaron's 20 Questions scene, please try and download the new build and see if that fixes it. Apologies for the inconvenience!

Credits

Writers: Perennial Lily, Windchimes
Artist: Greenace

Logo & GUI: potouto
Trailer/Main Menu Song: Alyx
Publisher: Top Hat Studios

Backgrounds and BGM: Various creative commons sources - full list in game

Feedback
You don't need to answer all the questions, but we would greatly appreciate any feedback you give!

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
3. Any other comments or questions?

Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Windchimes on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan

Re: Red String of Fate [GxB][Otome|Fantasy|Slice of Life|Com

#2 Post by Zelan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:18 am

Hey hey hey here it is!!! :D Congratulations on the release, you guys!

Electric Daisy

#3 Post by Electric Daisy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:28 am

looks awesome!!! downloading it right away XD

Windchimes
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS (NaNoRenO '17)

#4 Post by Windchimes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:42 pm

@Zelan:
Thank you!! :D We're pretty nervous about this release haha. And thank you again for beta testing for us <3 You've been a great help.

@Electric Daisy:
Thank you!! Hope you enjoy it if you end up finding the time to play it :"D

-

Side note: Someone reported a small bug in Aaron's route in the 20 Questions scene. If an error pops up for you, click Ignore a few times for now to bypass it. I'm uploading a fixed version to Itch.io as we speak. Please use the mirrors to download if you desperately want to play right now, or wait for the new fixed version! Apologies for the inconvenience.

NiKaWo
Deviantart: NiKaWo
itch: NiKaWo

#5 Post by NiKaWo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:17 am

Oh my gosh, I love this, I mean I just love everything about this. The writing, the characters, the humor, the art, the plot, the EVERYTHING. This is probably one of my favorite otome games ever. I'd go so far as to say that it ties with (P)lanets, which was one of my first otome games and visual novels. It's just that good.

I've only finished Aaron's (happy?) route
the ending where he proposes after tying some red string to your finger. I thought it was super sweet and I also really like knowing that Luke was still friends with both of them, for some reason that made me super happy
but already I'm going to give this a 10/10.

I'll probably gush more in a new comment once I finish the other route too :)

But seriously, thanks so much for this game. Such a great way to start my weekend!

txqina
Regular

#6 Post by txqina » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 am

Yes I did. I liked the fact that for each route I could see that Valerie's attitude to soulmates needed to change if she wanted to prevent friend-zoning or ignoring these guys. (But I still finished up doing that in the first attempt on each route.) Although it wasn't immediately obvious how and where to make different choices in my second attempts, the correct choices seemed to make sense in hindsight, especially reinforced with feedback from slight changes to dialogue or monologue.
(I think what I was trying, rather clumsily, to say above is that this VN does not have the main character as a blank slate for the player to choose the direction for. Rather, there is a clear personality presented that the player can nudge in a different direction without violating that personality.)

I preferred Luke to Aaron, but that's just personal preference about looks and personality I think. Both routes offered something.

It was a little startling at first to realise that the first choice (go to a party with Aaron or study with Luke) basically drove the rest of the story.
I decided Valerie should go to the party only out of politeness, and within 5 minutes I was becoming convinced that I was locked into Aaron's route (which I was) instead of my intended route: Luke.

>> Thank you for reading!
Well, thanks to you all for writing, designing, drawing and programming!

ilyilaice
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice

#7 Post by ilyilaice » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:39 am

Just finished all the endings and I've got nothing but mad respect for the team and this game. <3 <3 <3 I first became interested in this project since I knew Windchimes as the writer of "Lads in Distress" (which I'm also anxiously anticipating), and boy am I happy I downloaded this. Good vibes, good vibes.

The setup isn't usually my type since it does seem a little, uh, cheesy on the surface, but I do love the thoughtful approach to fatalism and humanism. I also appreciated how Val's ability presented real, complicated problems for her and helped shape her personality.

To make the long story short, I did enjoy this game. It could have easily become some schmaltzy rom-com/drama, but instead it was genuinely thought-provoking.
One last thing -- I hoped for some big twist in the end, but there wasn't any. I was a little disappointed ... but that's probably just due to my preference for the psychological thriller/horror genre. But I did hope that there would be a little more explanation on the mechanics of Val's ability. And an answer for why she and Luke have no red strings.

I first played Aaron's route because I guessed I'd like Luke's more, and I wanted to save the best for last, but I ended up preferring Aaron after all. While I disliked the immature and pushy aspects of his personality, I felt like his moments with Val were ultimately more impactful. His last CG (for the good ending) and its parallel to an earlier CG had me going awww.

Also, Valerie is really cute. She's my favorite character in terms of looks. XD

I really love the music for the main menu!!! I'm listening to it now as I type.

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:54 pm

ilyilaice wrote:I first played Aaron's route because I guessed I'd like Luke's more, and I wanted to save the best for last, but I ended up preferring Aaron after all. While I disliked the immature and pushy aspects of his personality, I felt like his moments with Val were ultimately more impactful. His last CG (for the good ending) and its parallel to an earlier CG had me going awww.
This is pretty much exactly what happened to me. ^_^ Aaron's a real sweetheart.

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#9 Post by neuropsy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 am

Yep, I enjoyed it.

The premise of the red strings of fate was what drew me to the game. I did wish I could learn more about the red strings, though leaving them there without explanation was admittedly great for thematic execution. I wanted to know what the red strings meant compared to Val's conceptualization of them. For example, did they really lead to a soul mate? If so, what is a soul mate? If soul mates existed, what implications would it have for romance? So far I've only completed Aaron's route, but I enjoyed the characters' philosophies in approaching the topic of red strings. It's a case of ambiguity creating meaning.

The game as a whole had a relaxed atmosphere to it, and while sometimes slow, felt natural. I especially loved Aaron's ending. It didn't seem contrived at all despite how adorably corny it was; it really felt as if Aaron concocted the whole plan by his own volition. This leads me to compliment another one of the games greatest strengths: the characters. They were likable, interesting, grounded, and exhibited great consistency to their traits, which is pretty difficult to pull off, in my opinion.

I enjoyed all the characters pretty equally. As I mentioned in my previous answer, the characters were executed very well. :)

...I want more information on the red strings because I am genuinely fascinated by this game's concept of them.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Windchimes
Veteran

#10 Post by Windchimes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:30 am

@NiKaWo:
Hello! Thank you for playing our game and writing a comment :D Super glad to hear that you liked it! We were practically blushing at the high praise, so thank you very much! It makes us really happy to know that we can make people happy with our games ^^

@txqina:
Hey! Thank you for giving our game a try and telling us your thoughts!
Yes, we aren't a fan of blank slate MCs, so all our otome MCs will likely have a strong, defined personality -- but on a spectrum, so that player choices can define which end of the spectrum MC goes towards. We did try to make the choices in this game a lot less obvious than, say, our last game Lads in Distress, so we're glad to hear that they make sense in hindsight ^^
Ah, yes, apologies for the abrupt locking in of the routes. We won't be doing that for future games anymore. We only adopt this method of "one choice locks in your route" for the shorter free games (like this one) because we wanted to do simple branching.
Again, thank you for playing our game <3 We really appreciate the comments.

@ilyilaice:
Hey there! Thank you for playing RSoF! <3
Ohh, a fan of Lads in Distress :"D (Apologies for the long delay ;_; Real life has hit most of the team pretty hard so production is slow -- but we are definitely still working on it!!) Thank you for giving this game a try even though it's not usually your thing :"D
It seems to be a common comment from players that they want to learn more about the red strings of fate and why Val/Luke can see them. ^^ We'll take it as a compliment that people are so interested in hearing our twist on the red strings of fate. We deliberately didn't discuss it and left it vague because our theme of the game is to explore how being able to see the red strings of fate, or having the knowledge that soulmate/fate exists, would affect a person -- how it would shape Val and Luke's personalities (strangely, in opposite ways) and change Aaron's when he gains this knowledge. So we chose to focus more on the consequences of knowing red strings of fate exist rather than the red strings of fate themselves per se. We're really sorry if you were disappointed you didn't get to hear more about it! Hey, you never know, maybe one day we'll make a spin-off game set in this universe with red strings of fate and explore the idea more :"D
Thank you so much again <3

@Zelan:
Luke's still sad that you betrayed him </3 Lmao just kidding, he'd probably be happy Aaron is getting the love he deserves from the fans.

@neuropsy:
Hey! Thank you for playing our game <3
Ohh, yay! You understood the themes we wanted to address by choosing not to go deeper into the idea of red strings of fate! ^^ That makes us really happy, haha. We're sorry if you were disappointed about not being able to learn more about them though! As mentioned a few paragraphs ago, you never know, maybe one day we'll make a spin-off game set in this universe with red strings of fate and explore the idea more :"D
We put in a lot of effort to try and make each character seem well-rounded and realistic but still likeable, and it was particularly agonizing trying to make sure their personalities stay consistent between two routes written by two different writers. So we are really, really happy to hear that it was executed well ^^ Thank you so much for that compliment. It means a lot to us writers.

CaptainSecretFire

#11 Post by CaptainSecretFire » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:19 am

Thank you for making this game ^^ It was really enjoyable, sweet and well done! The themes that it touched upon were great, the main character was a definite highlight. Just. So. Heartwarming! I loved it! Luke was my favourite character.
(A first edition copy of Pride and Prejudice is the true way to my heart)
All three of the main characters have great personalities though, I loved them all. I found that both of Luke's endings were really satisfying, whereas with Aaron I felt his alternate ending was a little bit... extreme. But I still enjoyed his route immensely!! They were both really great. Seriously thank you for making this wonderful game and putting it out for free!

Windchimes
Veteran

#12 Post by Windchimes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:15 pm

@CaptainSecretFire:
Hello! Thank you very much for playing our game :D Really happy to hear that you enjoyed it! We know the premise was a bit simple, but we wanted to deliver a heartwarming tale, so we're glad it worked out alright ^_^ Thank you again for playing and taking the time to leave a comment! <3

--

Super late, because we ran into some problems setting up the Steam app, but here it is: Red String of Fate is finally on Steam!

If you enjoyed Red String of Fate previously, please leave us a review on Steam if possible ;o; Thank you very much! <3

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zelan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 am

Awww, YES! ^_^ I hope you guys are celebrating, you definitely deserve it.

kirakana
Projects: My Sweet Heart

#14 Post by kirakana » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:19 pm

First, congrats on your release! I have been quietly stalking you ever since the demo :D

YES! I especially liked the relationship between characters - from the easy friendship to the sweetness of a young budding love <3 Makes me wish to have friends like that. Thank you for not making this into a love triangle AND for keeping both of the boys in the story regardless of the route! Also, I liked how the alternative endings weren't "bad", just different.

Uh, I liked all three of them, probably because I could relate to them. If I had to choose ... I would go with Aaron, because of his sweet determination. He was simply adorable, trying to woo the heroine. And his blushing face *-* In all honesty, Valerie and Luke were awesome too. Thumbs up :D

I was kinda expecting to uncover the reason for Valerie's and Luke's special power ... Maybe in another installment? *wink, wink*

I look forward to seeing more work from you!

NiKaWo
Deviantart: NiKaWo
itch: NiKaWo

#15 Post by NiKaWo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Told you I'd come back after finishing Luke's route, but life got busy and I forgot... Sorry, but hey, better late than never!

So I finished Luke's route and I really liked it!! His grandmother was a great character, and I liked how there was a bit more expanding on the lore there. I have to admit that I, like ilyilaice and Zelan, played Aaron's route first because I thought I'd like Luke's more, however I've decided that Aaron's my favorite after all. Not that I didn't like Luke, I loved him, but there's just something about Aaron that really drew me in!

Excited to see what other games you make! I'm downloading Airis right now! (hopefully it can help fill the void left in my heart by Nicholl from LiD until the full one comes out haha)