The Sickness Unto Death [Comedy][Satire][Free-to-play]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sgt_pugs
Projects: Vlad's Home for Wayward Vampires, Spot's Last Stop
Tumblr: stonepugstudios
Deviantart: stonepugstudios
itch: stonepug

The Sickness Unto Death [Comedy][Satire][Free-to-play]

#1 Post by sgt_pugs »

We did a thing! It's my pleasure to announce our first ever... DRUMROLLLLLL
Stonepug Studios Presents: "The Sickness Unto Death" a short visual novel or VigNette
Click Here to Play in Browser -> http://stonepug.com/vignettes/
We suggest using Chrome or Firefox. It works best on Desktop but will function well enough on mobile. We even tested it in IE11 and the damn thing worked (barely). Don't worry, content is Safe For Work :) WARNING music will play on load (there is a mute option)

SYNOPSIS

Inspired from a ridiculous story we heard, we bring you the harrowing tale of one brave individuals' struggle to grapple with an affliction so debilitating it can threaten your independence and so insidious it can go undiagnosed for a lifetime!

Play time: 15 - 20 minutes

We plan to continue releasing VigNettes the first Friday of every month. Once posted, VigNettes will stay up until they’re replaced with the next month’s edition. We're also planning on a special Valentine's day piece exploring our characters, Asimov, Lorelai, Vivian, Kathleen, and Aurora, so stay tuned for that! Thank you all for stopping by!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: The Sickness Unto Death [Comedy][Satire][Free-to-play]

#2 Post by Mammon »

Nice game, I enjoyed playing it. I knew it was a satire/comedy and I was still wondering whether the inability to smell was supposed to be serious after the way it was treated by the characters, so the 'whole world except grandpa being irrational and swept up in their own hysteria' thing was portrayed real well.
I liked the characters, the father and mother were really parent-like without being too cliche by having a good combination of a lot of tropes delivered with just the right nuance and timing, and I was just from 0 to full on rooting for the grandfather in a matter of minutes. If only I could've helped him by shouting 'Damn in people, the poisonous gas caused by indoor fires is carbon monoxide, a completely odorless gas that kills everyone in their sleep because NO ONE can smell it!' through the computer screen.

I also like the art (with the exception of the father who seemed just too long for the rest of the cast considering his hunched over posture), the special expressive pose for the more dramatic outbursts worked really well for the satirical misery these people went through. And Lucy's sprite was well chosen with the attitude, dress code and pink hairlights. I could just hear her scream 'I finally found something wrong with me that makes me special, pity me! I can't wait to put this medical condition in my profile description so people will like me.' through the lines.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

sgt_pugs
Projects: Vlad's Home for Wayward Vampires, Spot's Last Stop

#3 Post by sgt_pugs »

Thanks Mammon! Really glad you liked it. I get what you mean by the Father being a little too long, I'll take that into consideration for upcoming VigNettes. I'm glad we inspired you to yell at our characters through the screen (this is of course a sign of good entertainment/television :) ).

shellwalker

#4 Post by shellwalker »

Hey Mammon, thanks for the feedback.

Your analysis was dead on. I go into a bit of detail on the story behind the story (what riled me up enough for us to write this satirical piece) here. However, if you're a man on the move with no time for nonsense, you still owe it to yourself to read/listen to this NPR piece. It is, without a doubt, one of the most hysterical, histrionic, and hyperbolic bits of nonsense I've ever heard. Some parts where you probably thought I was hamming it up were direct references. Heeelarious stuff.

The lunatics running the asylum that you noted (Grandpa surrounded and shouted down by deranged and superbly irresponsible men and women) will probably be a motif of Stonepug. It's not exactly purposely done, it's just my experience of the world. There are a few rational people stuck in this zoo, desperately dodging as their simian cousins hurl their filth at them.

At least you can't call it boring.