Sweetest Monster [BxG, commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

Sweetest Monster [BxG, commercial]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Purchase
The VN is available for Mac/Windows/Linux.
It can be downloaded on Steam here.
It can also be downloaded on itch.io here.
The VN is $5.99, with 10% off during the first week.
The OST can also be downloaded for $1.99!

Synopsis
"I love you for who you are. I’ve loved you from the moment I met you."

Robin Hawkins is down on his luck. His relationship with his wife, Sally, is stagnating, and his daughter, Melody, no longer speaks to him.
Stuck in an unsatisfying and draining job, Robin's life is one long, monotonous slog...
Until he meets the mysterious girl of his dreams in the middle of the night, Bell.
However, there is far more to Bell than meets the eye - and Robin's 'dreams' are fast in danger of becoming 'nightmares'.

Characters

Robin
The main character and narrator. In his early 40s.
Had aspersions of being a pianist, but instead pursued a career as a music teacher for a more stable income.
He regrets this decision, and subconsciously finds himself blaming his family for it.

Bell
A mysterious young girl. Age unknown.
Claims to be a reincarnation of one of Robin's great aunt's cats...
But, to be honest, Robin doesn't understand the explanation.
Cheery and upbeat but has a definite cruel streak. Likes making people squirm.

Screenshots

Larger ver here.

Larger ver here.

Larger ver here.

Larger ver here.

Larger ver here.

Larger ver here.

Credits
Writing/coding: Ebi-hime
Sprite/CG art: DarkSin
Background art: Ruderoo
Music: Mock Off

Notes
This VN is kinetic. It has no choices/branches.
It's around 40k in length.
It contains fanservice and some horror elements.
It has sexual scenes, including one sex scene, so it's NSFW/not safe for all ages.
You can also follow my twitter for more info about future projects~
Thank you! ❤
Last edited by ebi-hime on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

nekobara
Regular

Re: Sweetest Monster [BxG, commercial]

#2 Post by nekobara »

As soon as I saw that Sweetest Monster had been released, I immediately went to download it. Unsettling as it is, the VN's disturbing story didn't perturb me too terribly. Although it could be because I adore stories like this. The fact that it's slightly sickening just makes it better for me. I wasn't disappointed in the least. I'm not normally a fan of male protagonists, but Robin was more than bearable enough. I actually liked it that he was older. (I hope I'm not revealing anything weird here. >_<) Bell was lovely and enthralling. She's marvelous. And the twist at the end really caught me off guard. I certainly didn't see it coming. Bravo! In my opinion, you have created a lovely game.~
*meow*

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

@ nekobara
Ah, thank you u_u I'm glad you liked it!
The story is a little troubling, but there are more troubling VNs out there (like, it's definitely not on the levels of Euphoria), so it might seem a little tame in comparison haha XD;
I think Robin is pretty cute haha... I'm also a fan of older male characters particularly ones who suffer.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

txqina
Regular

#4 Post by txqina »

Congratulations on this visual novel.

As a middle-aged guy with a lacklustre marriage and shy teenage daughters, I can definitely relate to this story. Fortunately my situation is not as bad as Robin's. But with a little more inaction by me and a little bit of bad luck, it probably could have been the same.
While it's easy to assume Robin was just weak to fall to temptation, I suspect that underestimates the attraction of a pretty woman confessing her love when your relationship with your wife is near its lowest ebb. For me, it's also about his lack of imagination - once you can't see a way to improve a situation, then you are stuck. The resultant predictability and lack of being proactive makes it easy for Bell to manipulate him.

I felt the hints in the descriptions of Bell related to the plot twist were appropriate. Something was up but I couldn't figure out what, exactly, until the end.

If I could ask for anything more, it would be to have the final stage of the ending fleshed out. For example, is Sally going to be at physical risk in the future, even if she doesn't find out what's really going on? Is Robin going to continue his sexual relationship, despite what he now knows and the risks involved? Will Bell force a divorce, with Robin getting "custody" of his daughter? Early on, I just felt this story was a classic setup for a really dark ending: damned if you cosy up with a demon/crazy stalker and damned if you don't. Whilst I can think of several possible ultimate endings, it could be nice to know the canon ending.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#5 Post by ebi-hime »

@ txqina
Thank you! I'm glad you found the story realistic enough! I was a little worried about it, since I'm not sure how good I am at writing male characters >_>
I thought continuing the story past its stopping point would be detrimental, since it would just drag on and... I can't really imagine anything good happening. Ending it more or less on the reveal seemed more fitting and give it more of an impact. The ending you get is the canon ending.