A Blue Horizon - Prologue

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mobeeuz

A Blue Horizon - Prologue

#1 Post by Mobeeuz »

The Prologue for my novel Ashrealm: Book I - A Blue Horizon in SN format. I decided to output to YouTube instead so anyone could watch without downloading. There is no interactivity to it anyway, it's a sit and watch. Please tell me what you think...

Synopsis:
A plague strikes a city, slowly turning everything to ash. Orchid, a covert military organization with governmental ties, is called in to investigate. Two destroyed trains and missing passengers point towards a terrorist attack and a new biological weapon but a lone survivor knows the truth.
Disclaimer:
All images and sound effects licensed under Creative Commons. All music used under Commercial License. All text is under copyright and may not be duplicated or used without permission.
What is the Ashrealm?

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: A Blue Horizon - Prologue

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Mobeeuz wrote:A plague strikes a city, slowly turning everything to ash. Orchid, a covert military organization with governmental ties, is called in to investigate. Two destroyed trains and missing passengers point towards a terrorist attack and a new biological weapon but a lone survivor knows the truth.
Your premise hints at an external conflict, as well as characters who have goals which they're trying to achieve. That's a good start. I've enjoyed external conflicts and motivated characters in all sorts of fiction.

One concern which I've expressed here a few times: if a fictional world seems beyond repair, and if the characters aren't sympathetic, then it's difficult to care about a story. I am not asking for a happy ending or tacked-on comedy. Likewise, I don't think your story will benefit from an obligatory romance subplot, combat scenes just for spectacle, or multiple characters with depressing backstories. However, I believe it should seem plausible that the main characters can improve their situation. Likewise, I believe that the cast should be reasonably flawed: they should not be too perfect, but not hopeless / irredeemable.

Mobeeuz

Re: A Blue Horizon - Prologue

#3 Post by Mobeeuz »

Thank you for your insight... In the case of the world I have created, it is not beyond repair. In fact, most of the struggle for its resolution comes from within - mirroring the problem of the greenhouse effect. We could solve things as a species, but profits win out. The story is in fact all about redemption, and each character reflects this over the course of the novel.

The prologue is just that; Meant to whet your appetite, but only scratches the surface... If you would like to read more, the first seven chapters are available for free at Smashwords. Also, I am open to distributing an electronic copy for an honest review.
What is the Ashrealm?