Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PB&Jelly
Projects: Corona Borealis, Never Forget Me (Writer)

Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17]

#1 Post by PB&Jelly »

> Download <

Synopsis

When four high school students go missing after exploring a local haunt spot, Mythology teacher Thalia senses that supernatural forces are the real cause of the disappearance. Too busy (or perhaps lazy) to investigate herself, she bribes her apathetic TA to examine the scene for clues. Lucas approaches the task with his usual sluggish indifference, but even he is astounded by what he uncovers.

Characters

Features

> Kinetic gameplay <
> 1280x720 resolution <
> Full English voice acting <
> Complete playthrough in ~15 minutes <

Credits

I'm using free assets for this game, released under the CC BY-NC 3.0 license.

GUI - potouto
Sprites - Shida
Music - Kevin MacLeod
Writing - PB&Jelly
Programming - PB&Jelly
Male Voices - James Cheek
Female Voices - Jill Harris

Screenshots

Image Image Image
Image Image

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17]

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

Nice job finishing a nanoreno VN! I don't think I could handle that. :) It looks very pretty and polished from your screenshots, and your character descriptions are really funny. And I'm also a TA, so it should be cool to read a story where the protagonist shares my job! Looking forward to checking this out later.

Edit: Really enjoyed it! The voice acting was especially good. It was so short though! I can picture it just being the opening scenes of a much longer story about Lucas and Thalia's adventures. Which is something I would totally read. :)
ImageImageImage

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

This was a nicely made VN!

The GUI was really really nice and the voice acting was good - like, super good. I'm impressed at how much quality there is in this, considering it was a NaNo VN and done on a short time period o:

The story is pretty short, and seems more like an introduction to something long than a standalone story in and of itself, and the writing also seemed a little staid, though. There was a lot of 'X did this', 'X did that' in the writing, so maybe it would have been more interesting if the sentence structured was varied a bit more. Also, I think the dialogue between the characters could have flowed a bit better if there was less narration breaking it up. The use of 3rd person present is also a bit strange, as 1st person present or 3rd person past are more common, but the tenses were all correct throughout (I think) and this isn't really an issue, just a narration style that is rather rare.

Overall, I think it was pretty good u///u
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

PB&Jelly
Projects: Corona Borealis, Never Forget Me (Writer)

#4 Post by PB&Jelly »

parttimestorier wrote:Edit: Really enjoyed it! The voice acting was especially good. It was so short though! I can picture it just being the opening scenes of a much longer story about Lucas and Thalia's adventures. Which is something I would totally read. :)
Thank you! I wanted to keep it short because it was a NaNo project and I was convinced I'd never finish in time otherwise. I really enjoy these characters, though, so maybe I'll write more about them in the future.
ebi-hime wrote:The GUI was really really nice and the voice acting was good - like, super good. I'm impressed at how much quality there is in this, considering it was a NaNo VN and done on a short time period o:
Ahhh, thanks. Fortunately, I was able to find plenty of beautiful free assets to use (which required little to no tweaking.)
ebi-hime wrote:The story is pretty short, and seems more like an introduction to something long than a standalone story in and of itself, and the writing also seemed a little staid, though. There was a lot of 'X did this', 'X did that' in the writing, so maybe it would have been more interesting if the sentence structured was varied a bit more. Also, I think the dialogue between the characters could have flowed a bit better if there was less narration breaking it up.
Thank you so much for the detailed critique of the writing. I now know what to keep an eye out for in the future. :]
ebi-hime wrote:The use of 3rd person present is also a bit strange, as 1st person present or 3rd person past are more common, but the tenses were all correct throughout (I think) and this isn't really an issue, just a narration style that is rather rare.
Eheh... The other VNs I've written have been 1st person present, but I adapted an old short story I wrote in college (which was 3rd person past) for Insatiable Creatures. I knew I didn't want to make the game 1st person, but, for whatever reason, I had it in my head that most visual novels were written in the present tense. So, that was my reasoning for the 3rd person present. Oops. ^^'