What's Your Name? [GxB, Romance, Horror, Dark Fantasy, 2017]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alia
Regular

Re: What's Your Name? [GxB, Romance, Horror, Dark Fantasy, 2017]

#31 Post by Alia »

SilkSpider wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm Well, I managed to get all the good endings... then the epilogue totally soured them.
The MCIP is a shady, devious organisation with a ton of ulterior motives. The Lampir has been killed multiple women who came to his house, and the MC was meant to be just another meal for him. The Twins are lying desperately trying to hide their past from MC, and the government is planning on staging an accident to kill one of the MC and the merman's children so they can use it for experiments. Seriously, all of that is just horrible and sad, and negates everything "good" about the "good" endings.
Personally, I thought the epilogues were very consistent with the bad endings, but if I'd lucked into only good endings on my first three playthroughs I'd totally agree with you!

Alia
Regular

#32 Post by Alia »

Really enjoyed this game! It was delightful to play a game where mythical creatures were a bit more... eh... historically accurate.
read: frightening. I really hope vampire psych drugs are a thing, but since they didn't mention them in the meeting it seems unlikely.
The art is beautiful and unique. And I like the symbolism with the title screen.
And the "Approved" stamp looks delightfully creepy.

I think my favorite route was Bachelor 4. (Oh wait, I got it! His subspecies is "Mermaid" rather than "merfolk" or "merpeople" because they're matriarchal, right?) His route not only had the creepiest worst end, his innocent Little Mermaid -ish confusion led to some great lines.
"D-DID I JUST GIVE YOU CHILDREN!?" (Although he does seem to have figured out some things from previous dates, like how he should hide his mouth when he grins widely.)

Bachelors 2&3 were also enjoyable.
Though they also seemed the most casually vicious.

I was a bit lost with Bachelor 1, I'm afraid.
It's not just that he's bi-polar and seems clinically psychotic, but that the MC's a bit difficult to follow, too. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like I'm missing steps in their conversations or in the story or something.
Though he's got his moments, too.
Gotta admire the way he announces, "I'm a creepy stalker with class," in his "Preference for a mate" blurb.

I was a bit confused at a couple things.
On the Twins' route:
Just before choice 4: "Something felt wrong. The only time she heard only one voice was when Cat was napping. And April knew she heard their voices together. So why isn't Dragon saying anything?" So she heard their voices together but one isn't saying anything? And on the worst end: the Twins told the MC that she'd be their wife "on the contract," so why did the MCIP decide they'd gone rogue and need to be killed (along with all other Pukis)?
On the Lampir's route:
The MC says she "shouldn't mention the purebred thing to anyone. Ever." What's that about? Also, for the Special Death end, why was the Mythical Creatures Emergency Exterminator unit called? They then said, "Assign the next applicant," so the MCEE wasn't being called to kill him, were they?
Really puzzled by a couple things about the big epilogue.
Why would there be an MCVR to help applicants who survive rogues when failed pairings are used to control rising population? Even if the "rising population" causing concern is that of the mythical creatures or hybrids rather than humans, the high fatality numbers (and murder of the boat rental guy) suggest the MCIP isn't terribly concerned about human survival. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

I did have some questions that don't need to be answered, but if you feel like doing so that'd be lovely.
With one of the placement questions being "What are you most afraid of other than monsters," I have to wonder what constitutes a "monster" in their world. Is it determined by PR? (If there are designated monsters, I suppose that would explain how the MCIP assumes no one will catch on to their "disappearing" of humans involved with failed pairings.)
I'm also curious about how the name-thing works. Does the creature giving you his name give you some power over him, or negate his power over you, or is it just "proof they have chosen you to be their life partner?" I mean, the twins explain that once a Pukis decides on a mate it's permanent, so presumably that heroine is sorta safe from her guys, but if the Lampir decides he's tired of his mate can she still be ordered to become his snack? (In the worst end after saying he was going to keep her soul forever he said he'd enjoy the sound of her name on his lips for "the next few decades." I suspect divorce proceedings end up with dead humans.) The MCIP only learned the guys' names once they were revealed to the human mates; does this give them control over the guys, or can they just employ that "walking away" thing that worked for the MC against the merman? Presumably there's something special about the date circumstances or else drivers' licenses would be menus, so maybe the guys are safe from the MCIP in that respect.
Very glad you guys put up a guide, because I'd assumed I had to pick a response before the timer ran out, and after running through my first guy's route over and over trying different combinations I had just decided that maybe "dark fantasy" meant not all the guys had good ends in this game. (Yes, you answered otherwise in the comments, but I rarely ready comments before playing a game because I'm tempted to read spoilers.) I figured I'd check the walkthrough to see if the other guys had good ends, and discovered "let the timer run out" wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
Which you absolutely hinted at in his (the merman's) worst end, but I just didn't translate to mechanics!

So yes, as you can probably tell by how much I've thought about it, I definitely love this game. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#33 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Akua wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 pm That was certainly... Interesting.

OK, I died a lot in the route of the fourth bachelor but he was so cute.
The test gave me the Lampir at first; my first death, haha... (I accidentally thought he was some sort of glowing vampire (lamp+vampire) ( ³ω³ ))
After I figured out what to say I easily acquired his good ending and the one for the twins. But yes, I still died often in the last route. Only upon seeing the walkthrough I realized my third option and felt so dumb...

I have some high standards for art so it wasn't all too pleasant to my eye. But the dynamic pose changes were interesting. I was still confused by the Chibi CGs but mermaid one was so cute. Also I didn't expect three different MCs - I was confused at first but understood after I completed all of them.

Then the special came up after finishing all routes and I was left bewildered, what a plot twist to make!
Ahh yes, I'm aware that nearly everyone thought that waiting for the timer to run out was bad. Just another lesson to keep in mind. As for the chibi cgs, it was easier and faster for Amiralo. She had other real life responsibilities, so we went that route since doing cgs in the same style as the sprites would've taken more of her time. (The merman's will always be my favorite.)

And again, I give thanks and credit to Amiralo and her friend regarding the plot twist/epilogue. =P
SilkSpider wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm Well, I managed to get all the good endings... then the epilogue totally soured them.
The MCIP is a shady, devious organisation with a ton of ulterior motives. The Lampir has been killed multiple women who came to his house, and the MC was meant to be just another meal for him. The Twins are lying desperately trying to hide their past from MC, and the government is planning on staging an accident to kill one of the MC and the merman's children so they can use it for experiments. Seriously, all of that is just horrible and sad, and negates everything "good" about the "good" endings.
It's all right that you couldn't fully enjoy them. I know my stories are not for everyone. And even though it got soured, I'm still happy that you gave it a chance.
Alia wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:52 pm Really enjoyed this game! It was delightful to play a game where mythical creatures were a bit more... eh... historically accurate.
read: frightening. I really hope vampire psych drugs are a thing, but since they didn't mention them in the meeting it seems unlikely.
The art is beautiful and unique. And I like the symbolism with the title screen.
And the "Approved" stamp looks delightfully creepy.

I think my favorite route was Bachelor 4. (Oh wait, I got it! His subspecies is "Mermaid" rather than "merfolk" or "merpeople" because they're matriarchal, right?) His route not only had the creepiest worst end, his innocent Little Mermaid -ish confusion led to some great lines.
"D-DID I JUST GIVE YOU CHILDREN!?" (Although he does seem to have figured out some things from previous dates, like how he should hide his mouth when he grins widely.)

Bachelors 2&3 were also enjoyable.
Though they also seemed the most casually vicious.

I was a bit lost with Bachelor 1, I'm afraid.
It's not just that he's bi-polar and seems clinically psychotic, but that the MC's a bit difficult to follow, too. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like I'm missing steps in their conversations or in the story or something.
Though he's got his moments, too.
Gotta admire the way he announces, "I'm a creepy stalker with class," in his "Preference for a mate" blurb.

I was a bit confused at a couple things.
On the Twins' route:
Just before choice 4: "Something felt wrong. The only time she heard only one voice was when Cat was napping. And April knew she heard their voices together. So why isn't Dragon saying anything?" So she heard their voices together but one isn't saying anything? And on the worst end: the Twins told the MC that she'd be their wife "on the contract," so why did the MCIP decide they'd gone rogue and need to be killed (along with all other Pukis)?
On the Lampir's route:
The MC says she "shouldn't mention the purebred thing to anyone. Ever." What's that about? Also, for the Special Death end, why was the Mythical Creatures Emergency Exterminator unit called? They then said, "Assign the next applicant," so the MCEE wasn't being called to kill him, were they?
Really puzzled by a couple things about the big epilogue.
Why would there be an MCVR to help applicants who survive rogues when failed pairings are used to control rising population? Even if the "rising population" causing concern is that of the mythical creatures or hybrids rather than humans, the high fatality numbers (and murder of the boat rental guy) suggest the MCIP isn't terribly concerned about human survival. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

I did have some questions that don't need to be answered, but if you feel like doing so that'd be lovely.
With one of the placement questions being "What are you most afraid of other than monsters," I have to wonder what constitutes a "monster" in their world. Is it determined by PR? (If there are designated monsters, I suppose that would explain how the MCIP assumes no one will catch on to their "disappearing" of humans involved with failed pairings.)
I'm also curious about how the name-thing works. Does the creature giving you his name give you some power over him, or negate his power over you, or is it just "proof they have chosen you to be their life partner?" I mean, the twins explain that once a Pukis decides on a mate it's permanent, so presumably that heroine is sorta safe from her guys, but if the Lampir decides he's tired of his mate can she still be ordered to become his snack? (In the worst end after saying he was going to keep her soul forever he said he'd enjoy the sound of her name on his lips for "the next few decades." I suspect divorce proceedings end up with dead humans.) The MCIP only learned the guys' names once they were revealed to the human mates; does this give them control over the guys, or can they just employ that "walking away" thing that worked for the MC against the merman? Presumably there's something special about the date circumstances or else drivers' licenses would be menus, so maybe the guys are safe from the MCIP in that respect.
Very glad you guys put up a guide, because I'd assumed I had to pick a response before the timer ran out, and after running through my first guy's route over and over trying different combinations I had just decided that maybe "dark fantasy" meant not all the guys had good ends in this game. (Yes, you answered otherwise in the comments, but I rarely ready comments before playing a game because I'm tempted to read spoilers.) I figured I'd check the walkthrough to see if the other guys had good ends, and discovered "let the timer run out" wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
Which you absolutely hinted at in his (the merman's) worst end, but I just didn't translate to mechanics!

So yes, as you can probably tell by how much I've thought about it, I definitely love this game. Thank you so much for sharing it!
*cracks fingers* Okay, I'll do my best to answer.

Regarding the Lampir, his story was the one I wrote first. So it's not as fully "polished" as the other two paths. If anything, I most likely made assumptions in my mind that the readers would understand what's going on. So simply, bad writing on my end.

Now to clear your confusion.
The twins talk as the following: At the same time, finishing each others sentences, or switching. MC wasn't used to having a one on one conversation at that point. As for the worst end, the twins believe they would get off scotfree since they provide "goods". The MCIP weighed their choices, and decided they could find themselves someone else to provide said "goods".
For the lampir, it's just mc trying to be socially conscious. As for the special end...yeah that was a mistake. Unfortunately I won't be able to fix it since I no longer own the laptop with the project.
Now the MCVR. It has a few purposes. To keep up appearances, to obtain information from the victim, and to see if they can possibly train the victim. (Among other things. What better medium to work with than someone desperate and grateful for being rescued?)
Now your questions! I'll answer since it'll be quite some time until I can make another story or vn in this world. Some of the info wouldn't even be mentioned since it's more a world building type of thing.
Monsters are Mythical Creatures. It isn't the government or populace that coined the name. It was the MCIP itself, to make the monsters sound more appealing as "mythical creatures". And with how many different types of monsters there are, it makes it harder for the humans to "generalize" them.
Now the name. It was actually inspired by two things. The first is by a horror movie my brothers watched. I believe it was based in South Korea. The premise was that you should never respond to someone calling your name, otherwise you're marking yourself for death by an evil spirit. The second inspiration is the Tithe series by Holly Black. In that, if a fae creature gave you their full name, they were giving you full trust. Because when you say their full name, they have to absolutely obey you.
With how I have it in my head, giving each others names will negate the effects. And to prevent others from taking advantage of somehow overhearing the name, it's a "first come first serve" soul contract binding. So the MCIP won't be able to control them. (And the 6 month courting period is 90% successful.)
So no worries, all three heroines are safe with their...MCs...*facepalms* How did I not notice that until now...
Regarding licenses and such, until they are paired, their identification are the letters and numbers I was using. They're given new ones after being married, and now have access to areas they were previously barred where humans needed their IDs.
Phew, hope I managed to answer everything! Sorry for the late replies everyone!
ImageImageImageImage