AIRIS [GxB/G/N] [Otome | Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Mystery] NaNo17

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Windchimes
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS (NaNoRenO '17)
Projects: The Masquerade Killer, Lads in Distress (Expansion)
Organization: Ebullience Games, Catfish Crew
Tumblr: windchimesx
itch: ebullience-games

AIRIS [GxB/G/N] [Otome | Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Mystery] NaNo17

#1 Post by Windchimes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:36 am

[GxB| GxG | GxN] Otome, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Comedy

Support us on Steam Greenlight!

Story Description

Ever since Aliya joined Airis’ Vassals as a warrior, she has been devoted to her cause of protecting her country from the creatures that, having lost their senses due to a strange plague, started attacking the cities years ago. Constantly training in dungeons and working to improve herself, she believes she can become one of the best warriors in the kingdom. Unfortunately, there is just one little problem — lately, Aliya has been suffering from blackouts, waking up in different locations with no memory of what happened. Fearful of what this means and what may be happening to her, Aliya is determined to get to the bottom of her strange condition. During her search for a cure for her affliction, she might just discover more than she expected — about her friends, her beloved country and the plague that threw the country into chaos in the first place.

Features
  • 3 love interests — one male, one non-binary, one female — each with a completely different route!
  • 9 endings + 3 hidden (read: half-serious, half-troll) endings
  • Over 70 meaningful choices that change the story/determine your ending
  • Approximately 140k+ words
  • Unique sprites for 6 important characters
  • 6 CGs
  • 3 chibi CGs
  • 5 custom BGs
  • Original soundtrack

Characters

Previews
Click on them to view the screenshot in full size!

Image Image Image Image Image

Download

Itch.io (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Mediafire Mirror
Steam

Team

Website | Tumblr | Twitter | Patreon

Writers: Perennial Lily, Windchimes
Character/CG Artist: Greenace

Editor: Azuumi
Chibi CG and Logo Artist: PlutoParfait
BG Artist: aro
GUI Artist: Valhalla
Video Editor: Amy_oai
Composer: Laurence Long

Feedback

If you have the time, please leave some answers to any of these questions! We would love to hear what you think of this project <3 Or you can just leave any comments and ignore the questions below. That's fine too :D

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
4. Which ending did you get first?
5. Any other comments or questions?
Last edited by Windchimes on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiKaWo
Deviantart: NiKaWo
itch: NiKaWo

Re: AIRIS [GxB/G/N] [Otome | Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Mystery] NaN

#2 Post by NiKaWo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:07 am

WOW.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

I've played 2 out of 3 routes, but only have 4 endings, but already I can say that this is one of my favorite otome games ever (topping Red Strings even, which if you've read my responses, you know I really like.)

Now to answer your questions.

1: Yes, yes, absolutely yes! The premise was unique (at first I thought it was weird and honestly felt like you were just trying to being shocking, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense and the more I liked it as I thought about all the clues you left). I also really enjoyed that there were so many choices (though that can also feel a tad frustrating as I struggle to figure out which ones lead to which ending for Lyall, not so much a problem for Kylan's route)

2. Um, I haven't played an Everea route yet, so I can't say for sure, but I think it'll be Kylan (who I keep calling Kydal for some reason).
What can I say? I'm a sucker for redemption arcs and delicious angst. I totally knew he was involved in the plague before it was revealed, but I didn't anticipate exactly how he was and it was really enjoyable to see how it all came together
I also realllllly loved Teddy, like a lot. She reminds me of the teddy bear I had as a kid, both in appearance and in personality (well, the personality I imagined my teddy to have when I played imagination games as a kid). I liked all the other characters, of course
except for the king. And even him I liked because he was a good villain.
but those two were my fave.

3. I meant to go after Lyall first, but I sort of messed up/sort of chose to purse Kylan routes after all because they (Lyall) we're frustrating me by being all secretive. As for who's my favorite? I'm going to say Kylan, I really, really enjoyed his route. (Though I've gotten
3/4 of his endings and only gotten 1 of Lyall's so that could change, but I honestly doubt it. I really liked his path!
4. I got Kylan's 1st ending first
'World's Apart'.
I have since gotten
his second ending 'You are My Home' immediately after, than Lyall's first ending 'New World; New Life', which hurt my soul on account of me loving Kylan so much. Also it felt a little rushed to me, to be honest, but I still liked it. Most recently I have gotten Kylan's secret ending 'Just Deserts' (which by the way, almost killed me. It was so dark and horrible and I loved it.
I still need to get the rest of the endings though.

5. You guys have any hints for endings? I've played Kylan's route several times to change key choices and still can't get his last ending, and I bet I'll need help for most Lyall's too to be honest, since I didn't have nearly as easy/comfortable time playing their route compared to Kylan's
(that is, I couldn't immediately spot what the 'big' choices were in comparison)
Also, I seem to be missing
two of Lyall's CGs even though I swear I've unlocked them, the chibi scene I know I got at the very least, but I'm not sure where it went. I got all of Kylan's no problems, so maybe it's a bug?

Anyway, I loved it! Too bad I binged it so quickly, but I bet I still have at least 1 more full playthrough out of it, but that's my own fault for spending every waking minute outside of work to play it since it came out.

I may give another update after I've gotten the rest of the endings/played Everea's route

Bug report wise: A couple of spelling errors (including a few points where you refer to Lyall has he/him when talking with Teddy at home early on their route), the CG problem I described above, and that Laurence Long doesn't seem to have any developer notes under their name, but that's it!

Anyway, thanks for the amazing game! This is the game that finally made me sign up for Patreon! Sorry I can't donate much (read, like $1 a month, I'm 20 and poor, sorry) but I hope you guys know that I deeply appreciate this game and can't wait to see what else you do.

And I seriously can't believe you did this in (roughly) 30 days. I can barely scrape together 20,000 words for NaNoWriMo, not to mention all the art and stuff. Seriously just a fantastic job and I hope this gets more attention. I'll vote for it on Steam when I'm net logged in.
Last edited by NiKaWo on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windchimes
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS (NaNoRenO '17)

#3 Post by Windchimes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:11 am

@NiKaWo:
Omg hi!! Thank you so so so much for playing AIRIS and leaving such a thorough comment! It means so much to us! (Especially because we were getting increasingly nervous at the lack of comments so far haha).

1. Haha, I’m not surprised you thought the premise was weird at first! We did go pretty crazy with the story ideas/twists. We had hoped that with each route gradually revealing more and more bits about the
MMORPG and the history of Airis from different perspectives
, as well as the foreshadowing, the story would eventually make more and more sense, so we’re really really glad that you decided you liked it! :D I mentioned before on WIP thread that AIRIS is a rather experimental story tying in fantasy with science fiction together, and we were honestly quite nervous about the players’ reception of this weird story idea, so your comment comes as a huge relief to us. Thank you!

Tbh I think we went overboard with the amount of choices for a NaNo project. I was having so much fun adding branching that I didn’t even realize Kylan’s route alone had 28 choices until I was done with his route LOL. Ohh gosh, we’re sorry to hear you’ve been having problems getting the different endings! >_< We will probably adjust the thresholds for each ending as we get more feedback from players – we actually uploaded a v.1.1 yesterday that made Everea’s ending easier to get because we heard that one ending was practically impossible to get xD (So if you haven’t downloaded the new version, you should probably do so before you play Everea’s route!)

On the note about the endings, we are actually working on a full walkthrough for each ending for Patreon right now! We expect it’ll be done tomorrow-ish. Originally, we planned on putting walkthroughs in the $3+ tier, but we’ll likely move the reward down to $1+ tier instead. So you should be able to access it as soon as the walkthrough is done <3

For now, here are some hints about the endings you’re missing in case you want to try your hand at it yourself before looking at the walkthrough:
Kylan’s Ending #3 – Try to mix the choices you made for both “You Are My Home” and “Just Deserts”. This ending is the angstiest attained when you balance both affection points with Kylan as well as your devotion to your country. Extra hint would be to focus on raising your devotion points for the first half of the route, then focus on affection with Kylan in the second half (especially important after the arrest scene)

Lyall’s Endings – Try to indulge Lyall’s angst more (lol) and vary how much respect you show to the king for different endings. So for example, I believe Ending #2, basically choose every choice that kinda goes against what the king/country says and be more critical of them.
2. Ahh I’m so glad you liked Kylan! I was a bit worried people wouldn’t like his character since
he’s the “villain” who started the chaos hence that hidden ending where you can betray him
. I adore Teddy, too! I had sooo much fun writing her that I was grinning every Teddy scene. I love teddy bears as a kid, too, in case you couldn’t tell LOL

5. Omg thanks for reporting the errors! I’ve fixed some spelling errors that I caught and will be uploading a new version soon. >_< So sorry about that; we didn’t have time to really edit because we were rushing to release, and we gave our poor editor a hell of a time because we gave her a deadline of 1 day to finish editing each route LOL

…I can’t seem to replicate the error of Lyall’s CGs. Which version of the game are you playing and on what platform? If possible, can you try to download the new version from Itch.io and try skipping through Lyall’s route again to see if you unlock the CGs in the gallery? ;o;

Whoops, I’m still waiting on Laurence for their dev notes but I forgot to remove their link temporarily from the dev notes page LOL I’ll fix that when I have time.

Ackkk, thank you so much for pledging on Patreon! ;o; Definitely don’t apologize; any little bit of donation means so much to us, and it makes us so happy to know that someone enjoyed our games this much >_< Thank you, thank you! As mentioned, we’ll be moving walkthroughs down to $1 tier so you can have a full guide to AIRIS soon <3

We about died these 35 days LOL Thankfully, we have a great team who helped us out with scripting in the art, so we mostly only had to focus on the actual script-writing bits. I swear my fingers were about to fall off by the time I finished my routes OTL OTL Idk how 30k routes turned into 50k routes and this happened… We deeply apologize for any errors or rushed-ness of the script, because by the end we were just in panic writing mode and might have overlooked things. We may release a patch later on to edit the script slightly to improve things/fix mistakes.

Thank you so so much again for playing, and we hope you enjoy Everea’s route as well! We would, of course, very much like to hear your thoughts after playing her route/getting the remaining endings! :D

Windchimes
Veteran

#4 Post by Windchimes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:07 am

Hey guys! As mentioned before, AIRIS is on Steam Greenlight because we hope to put AIRIS up on Steam as well. We’re getting close, but we still need your help! If you have time or you enjoyed AIRIS, please give us a vote on Steam Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =898306719

Thank you very much :D

ilyilaice
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice

#5 Post by ilyilaice » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 am

Hello! I've only just finished one ending (Lyall's first ending), and I do plan to leave a more detailed comment later on, but I just looked through this thread again and saw that you guys were worried about the lack of comments. I can't be too sure, of course, but I'm guessing it's because the game is long and detailed and rich (an utter treat for NaNoReNo!), and people are probably still playing it. XD I've go sooooo many more endings to go, but just letting you know that I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough. Lyall is effing adorable. I do like the cool, aloof types, so I couldn't resist this one. <3

Some typos (or other things that jerked me out of the mostly immersive narrative):
- I enjoyed the History feature, as I tend to use and abuse the scrollback feature, which makes me feel a bit guilty sometimes. But I think when a line got too long, the last letter would get cut off a tiny bit. It didn't really bother me though as I could still read the lines just fine.
- The time skip from Aliya blacking out in the first big battle to her failed searches for the vanished Lyall initially confused me. It was a little abrupt. I was expecting her to wake up disoriented after fainting.
- Aliya mentions the king as Lyall’s boss in her narration before Lyall even mentions they're working for the king. Prior to that, Lyall supposedly only mentions that they're working for an important person in the castle (whom I did guess was the king, but Aliya's not supposed to know that yet).
- The word "filter" has such contemporary connotations, which are a bit hard to divorce from the use of the word here.
- "Mother of souls" was a somewhat funny, distracting expression. Of course, there was some explanation later on, but before that point, I always chuckled while reading it.
- Sometimes the word "lets" was used instead of "let's." Like in "lets go" or "lets think this through together."
- The phrase "king's conducts" sounds wrong. I'm not sure if "conduct" has a plural form.
- Like the first commenter, I also noticed the use of "his" referring to Lyall.
- Lyall also refers to Teddy as "it" at some point. They're friends, so it makes more sense to refer to Teddy as "her."

Windchimes
Veteran

#6 Post by Windchimes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 pm

@ilyilaice:
Hello! Thank you very much for playing our game and leaving a comment!
Haha, thank you very much for commenting because you know we're worried ^^ You're right, it does make sense. It is a pretty long game, and some endings are hard to get. xD It made us nervous though to see all the downloads but barely any comments. OTL I hope it's not that everyone hates it or dropped the game midway
We're super glad to hear you enjoyed the game! :"D It does reassure us a bit for sure. xD
Thanks for pointing out the errors and such!
We likely won't change the "filter" or "Mother of souls" expressions though. Sorry if it feels weird for you, but it's too integrated into the story for us to change even if we wanted to :P
Similarly, we probably won't spend more time on this game to smooth any rushedness or abrupt changes in scenes. OTL We apologize for any abrupt time skips but we didn't really have time to polish the script before NaNo deadline, and we're now focusing on working on our first commercial game so we aren't sure if we'll have time to go back and work on this script again. >__< So sorry about that, but we definitely appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind when working on future games!
We have fixed the "lets" and "king's conducts" thing, and it will be uploaded as an update soon! :D The writer of Lyall's route will be looking over the script again about your point of how Aliya shouldn't have known the king was Lyall's employer when she mentioned in narration, though if you can pinpoint at which scene she mentioned it in narration, it would help us fix the problem if it was an unintentional error.
Eep, super sorry about the pronoun errors OTL We have fixed some instances of accidental pronoun errors in Lyall's route for the 2nd ending but we can't seem to find any more. Similarly, I went through the Ctrl + F results of "it" and can't seem to find where Lyall called Teddy "it" OTL. If you remember, can you roughly describe where you encountered the pronoun errors and "it" for Teddy?
As for the History thing, that definitely isn't supposed to happen D: Do you have a screenshot of an example of when a line gets cut off?
Thank you for the detailed feedback! :) We hope you enjoy the rest of the game, and we look forward to hearing your further feedback after you're done! ^^

NiKaWo
Deviantart: NiKaWo
itch: NiKaWo

#7 Post by NiKaWo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Updated review!!

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments? - Yes, still loved it a lot, even more after I finished getting all the ends.

2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game? - I loved them all honestly, at first Kylan had a pretty good lead, and I do still love him a lot, but I think after finishing it Lyall is now my favorite. But it's VERY close.
Kylan's hidden ending is tied for Lyall's exiled ending in terms of my favorite, with Kylan's maybe an inch or so ahead because I just love angst though Everea's 'real' (the true Everea, I think it's called?) is a close second.
Fave non LI is Teddy, though
I did end up liking the King a lot more then I expected to. Guess I just love to hate him.
3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest? - Intended on pursuing Lyall, ended up on Kylan's. As previously mentioned, I had a hard time picking a favorite, it actually switched from route to route (which is unusual, usually my first guess at who my fave will be is absolute, I can count on one hand the number of times my first guess had been wrong). Looking back after playing all the routes now though I'm going to have to go with Lyall now though. I blame my obsession with the childhood friendship romance trope for this
though of course in this game we didn't really hear much about Lyall and A's younger days, and that they weren't even children-children, but young teenagers (I think she said in Kylan's route that she was 13 when it happened?), just that they (Lyall) were part of the party that found her and they've been friends since. Which is apparently enough to ruin me.
4. Which ending did you get first? -
Kylan's 'World's Apart'.
My last ending was Everea's hidden ending
'AI-ris'. Which forced me to get up and wonder around aimlessly for several minutes as I digested my feelings.
5. Any other comments or questions? - Thanks again for this amazing game, I can't wait to see what else you do!
Getting increasingly invested in TMK from the Patreon pictures tbh. And, of course, LiD. I'm dying.

Windchimes
Veteran

#8 Post by Windchimes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:03 pm

@NiKaWo:
Hello again! Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for returning with an updated review <3
We're really glad to hear that you enjoyed the game ^_^
LMAO We're actually pleased that you like the king more than you expected! We didn't want to make some absolute villain who's evil for the sake of being evil, so we hoped that there's just enough about the king that makes him... slightly more understandable/likeable to the reader.
HAHA It's okay, childhood romance is also my favorite trope <3 I'm so glad I get to write Nicholl
LOL It's honestly a huge compliment that the AI-ris ending could evoke such emotions in a reader ;o; Thank you!! We're so happy to hear that ^_^
Thank you again for playing! We hope we'll continue to make more otome games you'll enjoy :) I've said this a million times before, but thank you for pledging on Patreon! <3

-

Quick announcement!
AIRIS is now on Steam! You can find it here.
As always, the game is free on Steam as well. If you enjoyed AIRIS, we would very much appreciate a review on Steam!

We’ve set it so that if you played AIRIS previously on the same computer, when you first run the game on Steam, it will grant you the Steam achievements for all the endings you’ve already gotten. This should save you guys the time to re-play and get the endings again if you guys want to hunt down the achievements. :)

Thanks everyone!

Akemi-Takashi
Regular
Deviantart: Akemi-Takashi

#9 Post by Akemi-Takashi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Uh, I'd like to report an issue ^^"
Aliya's sprite doesn't seem to be fully loading... Like, I only get her body but not the head...
Free to do anything related to English grammar such as proofreading or scripts! ;)

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained." (Proverb)