Our Home. [NaNoRenO2017][FREE][GxG][Drama][5-StudioCollab]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TheForeverLoneWolf
Regular
Completed: Lull, Palinurus, Seeds of Sylvia, Fare Thee Well, Our Home., Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!, Cautionary Tale, Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World Conquest!!, this was for you., A Field of Flowers and Stars.
Projects: Avitus, Missing Stars
Organization: Watercress, Somnova Studios, Imagibeat Studio
itch: watercress

Our Home. [NaNoRenO2017][FREE][GxG][Drama][5-StudioCollab]

#1 Post by TheForeverLoneWolf »

"Our Home." - A young woman's dream of a better life.
Published by Watercress and developed by Watercress, Vanguarda, TinManGames, SugoiKentaProject and NewWestGames.

We proudly present our NaNoRenO 2017 entry.

Download

A medium length Visual Novel, Our Home. is available for free on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linus on our itch.io store below.

A very special thank you to everyone who contributed to such a massive project! With five studios and over thirty people, this month long project took many hundreds of man hours into not only development, but organization as well. Long time Watercress members, our collaborating studios, and freelance developers alike - we all came together to create our biggest project to date.

Another thank you to everyone who watched the development and helped us out, be it playing it or supporting us with kind words!

Overview

"Our Home." is a work of fiction that explores themes of escapism, self-determination, and the importance of deciding one's own path in life. What is important to you, and what do you wish to protect? What is home? Is it an idea, or a place to go?

Presented by a team of about 30 collaborating visual novel creators for NaNoRenO 2017 in a month's time, "Our Home." draws on challenges close to the heart of the creative soul. It explores mature subject matter, mixing wit, drama, romance, and heart.

Synopsis

Emily Westenson is the oldest daughter in her family. Faced with mounting responsibilities and stress, a family tearing itself apart, and a sense of drive and creativity that have all but vanished from her, Emily faces each day with cynicism and exhaustion. Is this the way it has to be? Does she have to go it alone?

Features

-A story over 70k words long.

-Branching narrative with difficult decisions to make.

-11 endings. Will you find love? Get your dream job? Make your dreams a reality?

-About 1.5k lines of fully voiced dialogue.

-An evolving project that will be updated over time after its initial release.

Artwork

ImageImage
Updates

1.1 > We officially have permission to upload our large game on Itch servers! There are some minor fixes on voice lines, but we have bigger updates coming down the pipeline. Stay tuned!
1.0 > Initial NaNoRenO release! We had to give links to external sites since our game builds were too large...

Note: We plan to update this quite a bit (we're already working on remastering all of the sprites, and our backgrounds have already been remastered in house). We didn't have time during our one month dev period to polish everything! Thanks for keeping that in consideration :)

Contact Us

If you want to talk to all of the devs regardless of studio, the Watercress discord is your best bet! If you want to contact Watercress specifically, feel free to PM me, contact me on my twitter/our studio twitter, or pop by on one of our subreddits (/r/Avitus and /r/TeamWatercress). We are most (read: extremely) active on our Discord, so please feel free to pop by!

I'll have the individual studios pop their own preferred methods of contact in the comments below.

Thank you all! We can't wait to see how you like our game, and I hope you have a good day!
Feel free to check out some of Watercress' previous or current works. Here's a link to our itch.io, Steam, and our Discord!

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Our Home. [NaNoRenO2017][FREE][GxG][Drama][5-StudioColla

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

Oh awesome! I read Fare Thee Well a while ago and enjoyed it, so I'm really happy to see that your studio has a bigger project out! And it's yuri! I definitely look forward to reading this soon. Getting a team that big to put it all together within a month must have been really challenging!
ImageImageImage

TheForeverLoneWolf
Regular
Completed: Lull, Palinurus, Seeds of Sylvia, Fare Thee Well, Our Home., Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!, Cautionary Tale, Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World Conquest!!, this was for you., A Field of Flowers and Stars.
Projects: Avitus, Missing Stars
Organization: Watercress, Somnova Studios, Imagibeat Studio
itch: watercress

#3 Post by TheForeverLoneWolf »

parttimestorier wrote:Oh awesome! I read Fare Thee Well a while ago and enjoyed it, so I'm really happy to see that your studio has a bigger project out! And it's yuri! I definitely look forward to reading this soon. Getting a team that big to put it all together within a month must have been really challenging!
Yeah, it was quite the undertaking. Thankfully all of us for the most part had done a gamejam before :)

I'm glad that you liked Fare Thee Well, I Co-Directed it with Electro and it was super fun to make :)

Compared to FTW, Our Home.'s art is much more rushed (one month wasn't enough xD), but it has some nice variety and the rest of our game is pretty solid! Have fun, and be sure to let us know what you thought of it when you finish :D
Feel free to check out some of Watercress' previous or current works. Here's a link to our itch.io, Steam, and our Discord!

sagittaeri
Completed: Miss Fisher and the Deathly Maze (Steam/Google Play/iOS), Choices That Matter (Google Play/iOS), Our Home. (itch.io)
Projects: Sherlock: The Game is On, Last Mile, Lighthouse
Organization: Tin Man Games
Github: sagittaeri
itch: sagittaeri

#4 Post by sagittaeri »

Thanks for pointing me to this, Wolf. Hi all, this project has been super fun! And as Wolf said, it's a collaboration between people from many different studios. I'm a programmer and writer from Tin Man Games (http://tinmangames.com.au) in Melbourne, Australia, and we're just starting to get into Visual Novels. :D

txqina
Regular

#5 Post by txqina »

Thanks for this game, I certainly enjoyed it.
So far, I have achieved the Super Good ending.

The family crisis added drama to the story. The situation reminded me a little of the novel "Eleanor and Park", where storms in the girl's dysfunctional family relationships often blew away attempts at romance. The actual details are quite different between the two stories of course.

If I have any criticism of this route, it would be of the timeframe of the epilogue style ending - which I have also found unsatisfying in some other VNs. It came across to me as if the relationship between Emily and Lauren just idled for a year and then Emily suddenly "confessed" and potentially went to happily ever after. I would have enjoyed seeing the confession after a couple of months, with the one year later covering the family situation, a brief consolidation of their romance and a consideration of where their lives were going next.

I'm assuming the one year period was just a consequence of the choice of story structure, rather than Emily being so tentative in proposing a GxG relationship that it took a year.