Walkerman, Act 1: Welcome to Midgard [Fantasy][Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Scalemail
Regular

Walkerman, Act 1: Welcome to Midgard [Fantasy][Commercial]

#1 Post by Scalemail »

Walkerman is an Adventure Game/Visual Novel about hunting supernatural creatures. Each creature obeys a unique set of rules which must be exploited in order to defeat them, in a fashion similar to the old folk tales about vampires and garlic, or werewolves and silver bullets. Each act of Walkerman centers on a creature and the process of investigating it. Players will study the monster in order to ascertain its weaknesses, gather the necessary items, and then confront it in battle. Combat takes place on an isometric, pseudo-board game in which the player selects actions from a list of options. These battle sequences have multiple solutions, depending on the player's collected items and their knowledge of the monster. Players also steer the protagonist through his personal life in a similar fashion: deciding whom to trust, where to borrow money, etc which alters how the story progresses.

Prologue: The Thing in the Weald
Jorgen, a nineteen year-old serf, has just embarked upon a peculiar career: monster hunting. As a walkerman, he will tour the streets and alleyways at night, battling supernatural creatures that emerge when the sun goes down. But before he can reach the city-state of Midgard, a chance encounter will send him spiraling headlong into a world beyond light and reason...
Out Now (Free)

Act 1: Welcome to Midgard
Jorgen's arrival in Midgard is marked by suspicious characters, perilous nights, and the all-pervading smell of a civilization in decay. Both ostracized and incensed by his countrymen, he raises his standard in the world's loneliest revolution...
Out Now

Features:
Over a dozen beautiful illustrations
Dozens of unique and fully illustrated characters
Branching story dependent on player agency
Five lengthy installments with instances of abstract, description-based puzzle solving
Pseudo-Board Game aesthetic for battle sequences
An extensive soundtrack featuring new tracks every episode
An extras menu featuring a CG gallery and music room

BE WARNED: Walkerman may feature themes and imagery of a violent, disturbing, or sexual nature, and is unsuitable for small children.

We've released the Steam page for Walkerman: http://store.steampowered.com/app/387100?beta=0
We are also on itch.io: https://scalemail.itch.io/walkerman
We also have a twitter at: https://twitter.com/Scalemail_Vox
And our game is also available at our main website: http://www.scalemail.com
And here is our vndb entry: https://vndb.org/v16907

Scalemail
Regular

Re: Walkerman, Act 1: Welcome to Midgard [Fantasy][Commercia

#2 Post by Scalemail »

1.05 Patch Notes

Here are the patch notes for this post-release hotfix.

~ Some minor spelling and grammar edits.
~ Fixed bug where many achievements would be granted on first launch.

What's the plan for the future?

First and foremost, preparing for the next development cycle, and getting Act 2 to the players (and our backers) ASAP.

But secondly, we've gotten a lot of feedback asking for more non-linearity in the Act 1 combat segment. We originally had more variety in the usage of items and weaponry, but it led to many 'walking dead' scenarios where players were still making choices after a fatal mistake, and continuing play for quite some time without a hope of actually surviving. Before Act 2's release, we'll be looking at making a redux of the Act 1 fight, and possibly add in some more achievements for clever or terrible ideas.

Edit: After taking inventory of what's possible without taking artists away from their Act 2 commissions, I'm fairly certain I can dramatically extend the game's content just by programming and writing. This includes: reworking existing items, adding new uses, removing the 'safeties' we added to prevent Dead Man Walking scenarios, reworking how weapons and wounds are handled, and generally laying the Act 1 fight open for autopsy. I can also add the Quality of Life improvements I've been contacted about, such as nametags and a notes section for the inventory (a notes section will also allow us to add a new dynamic to the game, by keeping track of what rules/clues Jorgen actually knows).

I'll post a teaser update as to what specific extensions we're making soon.

Thanks all.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

I'm glad that Walkerman has made it through development. The VN-Devs project indicates that it started five years ago. Since then, it's had a successful Kickstarter. I learned today that it's currently being published by Sekai Project. Hopefully things are going well on Steam.

Scalemail
Regular

#4 Post by Scalemail »

gekiganwing wrote:I'm glad that Walkerman has made it through development. The VN-Devs project indicates that it started five years ago. Since then, it's had a successful Kickstarter. I learned today that it's currently being published by Sekai Project. Hopefully things are going well on Steam.
We actually have four more acts planned before we'd consider the game complete. Artists are already working on their Act 2 commissions, which I'll be focusing on as soon as the 1.25 major content patch is out.

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#5 Post by Ertal77 »

I will definitely take a further look at it, because the artwork is beautiful, and the idea of chasing monsters has a high appeal for me!
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!