The Other Question

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

The Other Question

#1 Post by Donmai »

screenshot0001.jpg
I started this little project as a mere exercise, and to test some techniques, but I liked some things in it so much that I decided to make it public. I will be very grateful for any feedback.
screenshot0002.jpg
The simple story is something like "Toire No Hanako meets The Question". Yes, the story builds over "The Question" with a cast composed of haunted teenagers like those from "Toire No Hanako", and with more than one question to be asked (hence "The Other Question").
screenshot0003.jpg
Warning: Contains coarse language (and some terrible jokes :) ). Don't read it if you are easily offended.
screenshot0007.jpg
Mac version:
The_Other_Question-1.0-mac.zip
(45 MiB) Downloaded 137 times
Linux and Windows version:
The_Other_Question-1.0-pc.zip
(59.71 MiB) Downloaded 227 times
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: The Other Question

#2 Post by Godline »

I am a fan of everything you do Donmai. And you just made "The Question" 200x better.
<3

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers

#3 Post by Donmai »

Oops! Not really my intention. I only wanted to pay homage to a game we all know.
I think "The Question" is a lovely game, and it's perfect for the purpose for which it was created. And the way that game was created reminds us of a time when this community was smaller, and collaborative projects could be done smoothly.
Rats! Why wasn't I here at that time?

The making of "The Question": viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1491

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

A lovely game, I always like how yours are nothing but CG rather than sprites, a very refreshing change of pace from most visual novels. The protagonist was a delightful combination of Genki, a hint of Yandere and a lot of terribly dry humour. Quite a nice story and nice that the bad ending also led to some degree of progress and closure of it's own, even if it's not as perfect.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Donmai »

Thank you so much for your comment :).
(I hope someone notices that when Eric is commenting about Sylvie's game he's borrowing some words from people who took some of their time to criticize my games, helping me to improve my work. I just can't thank them enough.)

Renmiou
Regular
Completed: The End of an Actress (sprite art), Blackberry Honey (contributing CG artist), Rising Angels: Hope, Black Closet, Tuesday, Chronicle Of Mars, Tristan & Iseult, Heiress II
Projects: Blackberry Honey, Mermaid of Zennor, Tristan & Iseult, Chronicles of Mars, etc.
Deviantart: Renmiou

#6 Post by Renmiou »

Got to play this this morning! It wasn't too long, but it was endearing, earnest and moving. After asking a certain question, and seeing all that route to its end I found myself thinking "I wish there was a little quip at the end, after the credits!".

I'm really besotted with this new twist on "The Question". Like all your other works, there is something magic about your characters. You choose to go deeper with their characterisation and even dig into their deepest problems but - whereas this often results in something that feels forced - you seem to have a good handle on how to make your characters well rounded, with their problems and their strengths.

When I saw the option screen I was really surprised but I really think the almost reversal of roles in this story worked perfectly.

Would you allow me to proofread this one? I found a few sentences that could have been reworked to make them sound more natural - as I told you, I have less time due to commissions and taking care of my toddler, but I believe I could go at a decent pace after this round of commissions is done. It might take a little more time, but if I decide to do something I'm usually reliable.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Donmai »

Thank you for the feedback.
Of course, I'm counting on your proofreading, when you have the time.
As you can see in the rolling credits, the proofreading was made by "no one". :mrgreen:
At that time, I couldn't find any native English speaker to help me.
I had great fun working on that story. The only problem I have with it is that it's nearly impossible to make a Portuguese (my language) version without losing all the terrible jokes.

chiharuchi
Regular

#8 Post by chiharuchi »

AAAHH I LOVE IT I love how the wording and the first scene set the tone and atmosphere for the game. I was weirded out and there was that nagging uncomfortable feeling during the first scene. I was on guard for what was about to happen and Sylvie's use of the word obsession worried me. I was pleasantly surprised at their relationship. They're weirdly perfect for each other, in a way other couples don't have. They're strange, different, a lil crazy but perfect for each other. That was what I got from it.

In some movies, there were these couples that have a unique relationship with each other, the way the talk to each other, the way they show their affections. The characters in this game have that, which I adore.

I love it. Quite frankly, I'm a little sick of visual novels that sound and feel like they were written by someone below the age 16 years old. So I adore this one.

Sad that it was very short. I would've loved to see more of them.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Donmai »

Thank you so much for your comments, chiharuchi. :D