Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [RPG][Voiced]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [RPG][Voiced]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Tofu Sheets Visual presents:

Ranked #1 out of 28 entries for "So Bad, It's Good!" Jam 2017

{ Watch The Trailer/Opening }

SYNOPSIS
Moses Reeve is the son of two pirates, the laid back Bobby and the broom-wielding Callie. Lately, he has mysteriously been hearing a voice in his head. Recently, his mother decided to adopt him a brother whom he doesn't get along with. But one day, a mysterious portal opens, dropping off a mysterious, pale-looking cloaked-guy desperately seeking the fragmented heart of his beloved Amina, whose soul energy has been crystalised across the galaxy. Thus, Moses becomes a Crystal Captor for destiny's sake, reluctantly allowing his adopted brother to tag along to aid him whose been enticed by the reward money. What epic adventure shall ensue on this quest to save some girl they don't know for some mysterious guy who appeared out of nowhere.

FEATURES:

- GORGEOUS mapping, utilising only the default tilesets of the RPG Maker VX Ace engine!

- Be utterly DAZZLED by the sheer depth of the characters!

- Fantastic and well-balanced story pacing, nothing feels awkward or rushed or whatever... nope

- Such an original plot totally not ripping-off elements of much better series

- Super challenging boss fights and random encounters that you must use all of your skillz to defeat!

- Brilliant mind-numbing plot twists that will break your heart and quite possibly your brain

- Voice acted event scenes, because we can! And nope, you can't skip them~

- Spacebar (or Enter) whatever you see, because it might harbour a secret item or at least some dialogue with important choices!

- A truly reflective cover art to display the great wonder of this masterpiece... totally not an epic-cover-to-entice-you-to-play-this-crap scheme, right?

- There's also 5 original musics in here <3

- Oh, and IT'S FREE!

{ Download at itch.io }
{ Download from GameJolt }
( NOTE! Turn up the volume, the game's volume is pretty low )

DEV NOTES
I am proud to reveal our third completed project, "Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale". This was an entry for the "So Bad, It's Good!" Jam at itch.io, and man, did I have a lot of fun writing this! We had 1 week to make this game. This is my first finished game on the engine RPG Maker VX Ace. It has voice acted cutscenes, about 600+ lines are voiced by a total of 10 of us--everyone was quite speedy in their delivery. The script was written in about 2 days time. The cover took about 3 days for my artist to draw, I believe? Most of the bulk of the work was mapping and eventing and modifying moves, making new ones, adding items, etc. Now since I am so used to making visual novels, the cutscenes can run a bit on the long side, so this is pretty story-heavy--therefore, I made sure to event in Save Screens in between certain cutscenes that may run a little long as you can't save in the middle of dialogue. Therefore, as this is a story-driven sort of game that focuses more on story rather than interacting, I feel it was fine to announce its existence here at Lemmasoft. We really hope you enjoy the game, we certainly had a lot of fun making it! As per the theme, I think you have an idea of what to expect hehehe~ Nevertheless, have fun!

ORIGINAL ASSETS:
Inkhana (the beautiful cover art), Doodled (5 original musics)

PRE-MADE ASSETS:
Alcaknight (free to use end song), Mint Chocolate (a couple sprites/facesets), Division Heaven (one faceset/battler), freesound.org for a couple ambience, HimeWorks Battle Music script, EVERYTHING ELSE IS DEFAULT RTP.

Optional Questionaire!
1. Did you enjoy the game? Why or why not?
2. What did you think of the voice acting?
3. Do you have a favourite character? If so, who and why?
5. How about a favourite scene?
6. We're planning a sequel!
7. Last words?
Last edited by Kokoro Hane on Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

Re: Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [RPG][Voiced]

#2 Post by Kokoro Hane »

The GameJolt mirror is now available!

Also hilariously, the game was rejected on RPGMaker.net for the "mapping not being up to our current standard". I had to laugh as that was sort of the idea, being an entry for So Bad, It's Good! Jam but alas, 'tis fine--guess they simply didn't get the humour. There were some decent maps in some areas, perhaps I was wrong to include a screenshot of the bad shadowing in Gilfer's Bay xD
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

MoonShapedPool

#3 Post by MoonShapedPool »

This game looks good! Does that defeat the purpose? Hahaha. The art looks great, and I especially like the cabbage man. I'm definitely downloading ASAP.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

MoonShapedPool wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 am This game looks good! Does that defeat the purpose? Hahaha. The art looks great, and I especially like the cabbage man. I'm definitely downloading ASAP.
Haha, hope you enjoy it~ Would love to hear your feedback if you'd like to give it.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Harmonywish
Regular

#5 Post by Harmonywish »

I saw the trailer yesterday and knew I had to try the game out! (Really lovely music!) I just finished my first play through of the game and I have to say it was super fun and really entertaining xD I loved the humor in the writing, and the voice acting was really enjoyable! The art (sprites, cover) is also super pretty!

All of the characters really grew on me, since they all have their unique personalities and quirks! Callie is probably my favorite character, and I loved her relationship with the broom and her son.
And when Bobby comments about how he fell in love with her because of her broom chasing ways... YES xD
The dramaticism of everything really made me laugh too (in a good way!)
Jackass' name introduction was also really funny. I thought Sean would've fit him nice as well, but after the jokes with his name I can't see him with any other name
I really wish that it was longer and would love more content, but I understand since it was a game made in a really short amount of time. It still looks super great! Overall, it was a super cute game and I really enjoyed my time playing it :>

Oh and I'm really curious from what game did Crystal Captor "rip-off elements" from?

---------------
Answers to Questions below

1. Did you enjoy the game? Why or why not?

Yes yes!

2. What did you think of the voice acting?

It was super lovely!!! I think it really added to the personalities! I loved all of the voices and I'm actually wondering if they're involved in any other visual novel projects? :>

3. Do you have a favourite character? If so, who and why?

Callie and her broom xD

5. How about a favourite scene?

I loved the "dramatic" moment when "Cloaked Guy" was professing his love for Amina, and how he MUST save her. In fact, I think I fell in love with the game when he said so in the trailer xD

6. We're planning a sequel!

YES! <3

7. Last words?

I played The Only One Girl and absolutely adored it <3 And I hope to see more projects from your team :>

- If you take critiques, I think the trailer would've been really lovely if a line of voicing was given with each character introduction! :>

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Harmonywish wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am I saw the trailer yesterday and knew I had to try the game out! (Really lovely music!) I just finished my first play through of the game and I have to say it was super fun and really entertaining xD I loved the humor in the writing, and the voice acting was really enjoyable! The art (sprites, cover) is also super pretty!

All of the characters really grew on me, since they all have their unique personalities and quirks! Callie is probably my favorite character, and I loved her relationship with the broom and her son.
And when Bobby comments about how he fell in love with her because of her broom chasing ways... YES xD
The dramaticism of everything really made me laugh too (in a good way!)
Jackass' name introduction was also really funny. I thought Sean would've fit him nice as well, but after the jokes with his name I can't see him with any other name
I really wish that it was longer and would love more content, but I understand since it was a game made in a really short amount of time. It still looks super great! Overall, it was a super cute game and I really enjoyed my time playing it :>

Oh and I'm really curious from what game did Crystal Captor "rip-off elements" from?
Hey there! I am super happy you enjoyed the game and the humour! We had a whole lot of fun recording for it, I certainly had fun writing, mapping, and eventing it. I'm hoping to get to working on the sequel soon, I promise you it will be longer than this! There will also be some new characters, but no worries, ALL the character here will be returning, reprising their roles too! Only one exception... but it is for a plot reason not a recast, which you will see~ As for the other voice actors being in other projects, yes of course! Now as you played the shrot version of The Only One Girl, you should recognise Jina's voice as Sebby's voice, Cloak Guy's voice as Tori's, Mr. Cabbage's voice as "be quiet, you!", and Callie's voice as Sebby's mother. Bobby's voice was also a couple extras. If you'd like to ever hear them in other things, Trina Deuhart (Jina) are in other VNs... I know that she was Lisette in Seduce Me: The Otome, Mina in Sweet & Spices, and the first girl in Cafe Memoria. If you'd like to hear Maisy McDonald and Zeniey as a couple again, they were in our first VN release "30 Kilowatt Hours Left" as Elly and Paul. Zeniey was also in the visual novel Re:Set Episode 2: Under The Golden Sun Remake as Frank's battle voice, and Justin Seva was also in there as Savan's battle voice. As for Auntie Mona's voice, she has been cast for a role that will show up later in the full version of The Only One Girl.

As for what game did it rip off from, it actually also ripped off a manga/anime too. I shall elaborate; game wise, it slightly rips off concepts from Final Fantasy. The early FF games a lot of times had to deal with reviving crystals, for example, hence the whole "crystal" mission here--only here they were taking its magic instead. Non-game elements it ripped off was Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, the whole thing of Cloak Guy wanting to save Amina and her "heart" being scattered into powerful fragments is directly ripped-off of the plot in which Syaoran travels across dimensions to save his beloved princess, whose memories (heart) was scattered into feathers... only difference here is Cloak Guy didn't have to sacrifice his bond with Amina nor did Amina lose any memories. And the title "Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale" in itself references, Cardcaptors, Tsubasa Reservoire Chronicle, AND Final Fantasy.
And the whole plot-twist near the end that was a bit confusing was me referencing how CLAMP wrecks your mind with their plot twists lol if you don't think about it too hard, you'll have an epiphany and understand lol
Anyway, so glad you enjoyed it! I am happy it made you laugh, which was the idea. As for the trailer, haha that is a good idea though I was actually purposely lazy in the trailer a bit to fit the "So Bad, It 's Good!" module, even though I did try to make it look legit haha. Something to take into consideration for the sequel however~ I guess we must all be good voice overs, as the rule was no more than 3 takes and no retakes haha, a lot of the lines were 1-takers for this, due to our 1 week deadline. We shall follow the same procedure for recording the sequel for the heck of it, to preserve its so bad it's good essence.

Glad you are looking forward to more projects from Tofu Sheets Visual! You can check the WiP thread for "False Hope" as that is coming later this month (you'll recognise some cast from this game and O1G), and another game coming soon is "An Encounter ~In The Rain~" which has the voice of me (same voice as Amina), Maisy (same voice as Callie), and briefly Doodled (same voice as Cloaked Guy). Be sure to tell your friends! *shot*
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

Man, I really, really wish I had a PC instead of a Mac right now. c: This looks fantastic, I can tell just by reading the OP that the humor in this game is on point. A full voice cast is awesome, too. And congratulations on that first place rating!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Zelan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 pm Man, I really, really wish I had a PC instead of a Mac right now. c: This looks fantastic, I can tell just by reading the OP that the humor in this game is on point. A full voice cast is awesome, too. And congratulations on that first place rating!
Thank you very much! I wish I did have a Mac build, but sadly VX Ace only supports Windows. I have heard you can run RPG Maker games through something like WINE I think? I'm not exactly sure how to do that, though, but it's worth looking into on YouTube or something.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 pm
Zelan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 pm Man, I really, really wish I had a PC instead of a Mac right now. c: This looks fantastic, I can tell just by reading the OP that the humor in this game is on point. A full voice cast is awesome, too. And congratulations on that first place rating!
Thank you very much! I wish I did have a Mac build, but sadly VX Ace only supports Windows. I have heard you can run RPG Maker games through something like WINE I think? I'm not exactly sure how to do that, though, but it's worth looking into on YouTube or something.
I have seen stuff about Wine before. I tend to be pretty cautious about wantonly downloading applications off the Internet, but I'm gonna have to look into it now. I'll let you know if I get a chance to play. c: