Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Mikomi
Veteran
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 pm
Completed: AOPII, Starry Dreams, The Witch in the Forest
Projects: Asterism, Magicanna
Deviantart: MikomiKisomi
itch: MikomiKisomi
Contact:

Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

#1 Post by Mikomi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:47 am

Rebecca was having a nice sleepover with her friends when suddenly the power goes out and they are attacked... by fairies?!

Image

Image


Play as Rebecca, a young girl trying to find her friends after the power goes out while avoiding a Dullahan in your house on "official business". However, as you explore the house with only a back-up generator working, you realize that there is only enough power to light one room at a time!


Image


Features:
  • Custom tileset and art!
  • Storyline including Irish folklore!
  • One whole ending! (and maybe a few changes to the ending if you talk to a certain fairy enough)

Edit 9/14: The full version of the game is now finished! You can play the new version in browser on Itch.io and play the old Ludum Dare build in browser on Game Jolt and Newgrounds or download it on Itch.io.
The new version has a map double the size of the original, including swapped places (so if you played the LD build, you can play this one and won't know where everything is), new tilesets, new art, new characters, a puzzle, and a harder difficulty.


Where to Play:
  • Itch.io
  • Game Jolt
  • Newgrounds

    _______________________________________________________________________________


    Jeeze, this is my 10th Ludum Dare game jam. Can't believe it's been that long already :"D Anyway, this is a sort of homage to RPG horror games- I've been hanging around RPG horror devs recently and I got inspired to make this in that style. This game is around 15 minutes long and you can play it in browser on multiple websites. I made this with RPG Maker MV, and as always with Ludum Dare, the entire game and all its assets were made in under 72 hours.
Last edited by Mikomi on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DevlogTwitter

Image Image Image

Ask me about #devtalk , a Discord channel for VN devs, and Let's Reads, a bi-monthly VN demo reading event.

User avatar
skyeworks
Regular
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost
Contact:

Re: Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

#2 Post by skyeworks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm

I really liked the idea of only one light being able to be lit at a time! And I like the atmosphere and art, it really did remind me of rpg horror games like ib and all...but I was disappointed that it didn't really matter? At least it didn't really play a role, in the game, I felt. I left all the lights off and still could finished the game and all. Great job on the game though for 3 days it's really amazing!
Image

User avatar
Mikomi
Veteran
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 pm
Completed: AOPII, Starry Dreams, The Witch in the Forest
Projects: Asterism, Magicanna
Deviantart: MikomiKisomi
itch: MikomiKisomi
Contact:

Re: Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

#3 Post by Mikomi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm

skyeworks wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm
I really liked the idea of only one light being able to be lit at a time! And I like the atmosphere and art, it really did remind me of rpg horror games like ib and all...but I was disappointed that it didn't really matter? At least it didn't really play a role, in the game, I felt. I left all the lights off and still could finished the game and all. Great job on the game though for 3 days it's really amazing!
Thank you very much! Yes, I've gotten several complaints that the lights didn't seem to matter much- so, in my post-LD build I'll be making the game harder by making it extremely dark and adding a lot more content besides that.
DevlogTwitter

Image Image Image

Ask me about #devtalk , a Discord channel for VN devs, and Let's Reads, a bi-monthly VN demo reading event.

User avatar
skyeworks
Regular
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost
Contact:

Re: Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

#4 Post by skyeworks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Mikomi wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm
skyeworks wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm
I really liked the idea of only one light being able to be lit at a time! And I like the atmosphere and art, it really did remind me of rpg horror games like ib and all...but I was disappointed that it didn't really matter? At least it didn't really play a role, in the game, I felt. I left all the lights off and still could finished the game and all. Great job on the game though for 3 days it's really amazing!
Thank you very much! Yes, I've gotten several complaints that the lights didn't seem to matter much- so, in my post-LD build I'll be making the game harder by making it extremely dark and adding a lot more content besides that.
I can't wait to play it! I would totally love to know more about the world you created with that game! <3 The ending made me want to know more about them.
Image

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

#5 Post by Zelan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 pm

It was a cool game, but I think my main problem was that there was very little to do since most of the rooms that I went to were empty. I'm guessing that you're going to be changing that based on your posts, though. I'll definitely revisit this game once it's been updated. c:

Rebecca had my favorite design, her hair ribbons were super cute.

User avatar
Mikomi
Veteran
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 pm
Completed: AOPII, Starry Dreams, The Witch in the Forest
Projects: Asterism, Magicanna
Deviantart: MikomiKisomi
itch: MikomiKisomi
Contact:

Re: Lights Out [RPG Horror Homage] [LD39] [Free]

#6 Post by Mikomi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Zelan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 pm
It was a cool game, but I think my main problem was that there was very little to do since most of the rooms that I went to were empty. I'm guessing that you're going to be changing that based on your posts, though. I'll definitely revisit this game once it's been updated. c:

Rebecca had my favorite design, her hair ribbons were super cute.
Thank you very much! The new, finished version is now uploaded- I swapped some of the rooms around (including Bedelia's), added some thing in the older rooms, and made most of the new rooms more interesting (rather than all of them being bedrooms or have just a sofa in them) so I hope you like it more now!
DevlogTwitter

Image Image Image

Ask me about #devtalk , a Discord channel for VN devs, and Let's Reads, a bi-monthly VN demo reading event.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wonderland