I woke up next to you again. [Romance / Psychological Horror][Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
zephyo
Tumblr: zephyo
Deviantart: zephy0
Github: zephyo
itch: zephyo

I woke up next to you again. [Romance / Psychological Horror][Free]

#1 Post by zephyo »

Description
“You’d told me,
Hey, this is a one-time thing, and I said yeah, of course -
Yet here we are.”
Who, exactly, did you wake up next to? Who is your more-than-one-night stand?

“I woke up next to you again.” is a short visual novel with a symbolic storyline about addiction. Your choices determine your character’s psychological outcome. How will you interact with your newfound partner? What will you tell your friend? Your well-being is up to you.

Free Download
Itch.io: https://zephyo.itch.io/i-woke-up
GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/iwokeup/282055

Features
  • 4 endings
  • Original graphics, sounds, and music
  • Available for Mac, W Linux
Screenshots
herim.jpg
huhguy.jpg
worries.jpg
evade.jpg
About
I lurk here anonymously sometimes, so I’m glad I’ve finally mustered the guts to contribute ^^ The game is pretty personal to me. I made it with Unity (you can see how I made it here: https://youtu.be/kZmZ8obhjy0 ). I hope it’s welcome and people enjoy it!
Last edited by zephyo on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

Re: I woke up next to you again. [Romance / Psychological Horror][Free]

#2 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Your art style is amazing! It looks like a painting, but still very tangible. It feels like 25% realism, 25% comic, 25% painting, 25% manga. It's really, really good. And so nice and smooth and mesmerising to look at! How long have you been drawing, if you don't mind me asking?

The links don't work, btw! I had to search for the game using google. Will play it now and talk about it later. =)
Last edited by Cirrocumulus-Cloud on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zephyo

#3 Post by zephyo »

thanks so much!! :D I try to make good art! I've been drawing seriously since 13. Thank you for letting me know about the links - should be fixed now.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#4 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

That's a long time! I've seriously starrted drawing a couple of years ago, I'm nowhere near your level though. Do you have a certain technique to get this painterly style? I've just recently tried to draw in a more painterly way, but it's far from perfect and not nearly as good as your own art. Any small tips for someone like me? =)

So, I've completed every ending now, I think. It's a very charming game with a great, tight-knit story that leaves you wondering and feeds you just enough information to come to your own conclusions. The art is lovely throughout the entire game and the static effects are great to look at. It feels very eerie and unhealthy and unreal, with some hidden sadness underneath. The only issue that I had with the game was the sound - it was SO loud I had to manually put my sound down to 5% just so it doesn't kill my poor ears. If you could fix the volume in a patch I think that would be good. The message that the story has is great, though. Having two people cling to each other when both of them are drowning doesn't lead to safety when no one knows how to swim, and this game made that clear in less than ten minutes. It was a wonderful experience for every part of me that wasn't my ears. =D

Your game is great, don't be afraid to try to be a part of this community! =)

zephyo

#5 Post by zephyo »

Awesome!! good luck drawing! Yeah painterly style hmm.. I think brushes matter for that; you only need one or two brushes that have a really nice texture and you can get that look real quick. Also taking traditional painting classes can help because you get a feel for how to stroke the brushes.

Thank you for the feedback and interpretation; I'm glad you liked every ending!!! Uh oh man, the sound is changeable thru options using 'esc'/pause but I guess I should lower the default. I'll put that on the to-do list.

And thanks so much for the warm welcome :) I'm no longer that nervous.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

This was an amazing experience. Before anything else, can I just say how polished it was; how the title screen (which was freaking gorgeous) goes directly into the game without any sort of "play" button, the visual effects that changed depending on what you did with the story, and the perfect music and sound design. The entire thing is really well put-together.

I also appreciated the gender choice for the other person.
Even though the relationship was not a healthy one either way, it was a little touch that is thoughtful and also probably makes the message more meaningful to some.
I played through it six times.
I got the ending where I "won" the first time. I think it was cool that you have that option there, to get out early, but I also liked how short and anticlimactic it was. It made the other endings stand out all the more, and gave that ending the feeling of having just barely missed something.
The second time, I went for the other extreme of giving in every time. The gradual change in the visual effects was well done. They were distracting and grabbed my attention, but not overly so to the point where I couldn't focus on the story anymore. That ending had a sense of despair to it, but I also like that it wasn't definitive; the main character might still be able to attain something like the last ending I played.
Which was by far my favorite, by the way. It really did a great job portraying the idea of recovery. Not something quick and clean (yeah I stopped so now it's just fine again), but something that takes time and support to get through. The friend that moves in seems like a really kind person just based on her dialogue. I also like how she was in color while the rest of the game was on a monochromatic scale. It was also cool how it was possible to reach that ending through a couple different combinations of choices - the first time I got it, I gave in initially but became resistant immediately after. The second time, I flip-flopped back and forth between giving in and resistance, until the time I got the choice of calling or not calling and chose "not calling."
It actually took me some time to find the last ending because I liked the friend so much - it didn't even occur to me, even though the option was right on the screen - to NOT tell her what was happening. I guess that's a testament to what a calming presence she had after the rest of the game, and what a relief it was to know that she was someone who could be relied on. Even though the ending where you don't tell her what happened is arguably a "bad" ending, I like that this one was a little bit open-ended as well. There would still be chances for the main character to open up to her and have somebody to lean on.
Overall, I think this was a really fantastic portrayal of addiction and I think that as many people as possible need to experience this. Have you looked into having it translated into other languages? That would expand its reach a little bit; I know there are a fair amount of people on this forum who speak Russian, Tagalog, Spanish, and French, not to mention the rest of the Internet.

zephyo

Re: I woke up next to you again. [spo / Psychological Horror][Free]

#7 Post by zephyo »

omg... thanks so much for the glowing words, Zelan!! I love your intepretation and thoughts on my game.
And how you viewed the friend - I really wanted to show how seeking help for addiction is good and I guess I succeeded :D
I'm glad you appreciate the gender choice; I didn't want to diminsh anyone's experience/ability to relate.
'as many people as possible' aww wow thanks man. Translations sound good, but I don't know other languages, so I'm not sure how to translate it.
PS I saw your post on tumblr!! It's so well-written and thoughtful and kind, thank you.

schivafrecce
Regular
Completed: BLACK
Projects: /!\Work in progress/!\
itch: schivafrecce

#8 Post by schivafrecce »

A couple of days ago I played "He beat her", and now this. What I'm about to write applies to both games (and probably future ones as well):

I loved EVERYTHING. The gorgeous, stylish drawings. The story. The concept/design...just, WOW! I'd really like to know the best way to compliment this masterpiece of a game, but I'm afraid I'd still fail at conveying my thoughts, so **insert here mind blowing words and compliments and some rainbows too**
but I don't know other languages, so I'm not sure how to translate it.
You have a volounteer here, if you want an Italian translation :) and I think others too will offer their language skills, this game deserves it.

ps: If you don't mind, can I ask you what kind of tablet do you use to draw?

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

Re: I woke up next to you again. [spo / Psychological Horror][Free]

#9 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

zephyo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:40 amTranslations sound good, but I don't know other languages, so I'm not sure how to translate it.
I'd volunteer to translate it into german! =)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#10 Post by Zelan »

Yeah, as for translations, the best thing to do is find someone who knows another language and is willing to do so. c: The only problem is that you kind of have to put a lot of trust in them since you can't read the translation to be sure it's accurate. The best thing to do is find native speakers since they have the best handle on the language. (i.e. I take Spanish classes but do not have the skills necessary to translate to Spanish).

Also: I got my mom to play it last night. She commented on the art and how pretty it was. When I asked her if there was anything in particular that I should tell the creator from her, her response was, "I willingly played for more than one ending." (She supports my interest in VNs but doesn't have much interest in them herself lmao. She doesn't understand why anyone would ever try to get every ending to a VN, which is what I almost always do.)
The first ending that she got was the one where involvement is cut off before anything happens, and the second was the good ending with the friend. c: I was glad that she got that ending before her self-imposed ten minute time limit was up.

zephyo

#11 Post by zephyo »

@schivafrecce oml dying TT I loved Black it was beauttiful and touching I'm so fortunate to hear this from you!?!! my tablet is a Monoprice 10 x 6.5 in (I've never tried another one tho so, not sure if it's good)

@schivafrecce and Cirrocumulus-Cloud I'd be honoured to have your guys' hard translation work! But how do I do this? Should I give a Google Doc?

zephyo

#12 Post by zephyo »

@Zelan, thank you for the translation tip. I don't know any native speakers except for Chinese man I'll have to look around.. and that story is so cute!! lol I got your mom's approval. I'm happy she got both 'good' endings I think that shows the best reaction to that kind of situation.

Harmonywish
Regular

#13 Post by Harmonywish »

Oh wow! This game was stunning and very intriguing. I think I got through all of the endings, but my favorite part wasn't them but the struggle that my character had to go through.
Especially, when he (I played with "him") wanted to go further into the relationship, which I said "sure" to, but then he asked for my number and I refused doubting myself, only for him to keep on asking. It felt like such a conflicting scene, especially when he was shown smiling and hopeful when you said you might accept. It was very luring, how bright that choice was portrayed, with the pose, and I think I really got felt that effect. And when I wanted to refuse, I got this drawing of him looking so sad, and the blurriness of the screen made me think it would be a bad choice, but in reality it was the best, just not the easiest
Ahh, thank you for making this game! It's very beautiful and I'm glad I played it ^^

zephyo

#14 Post by zephyo »

thank you :)) you're welcome!
And I'm glad you felt a conflict! it's really interesting to see how player experiences are contrasting. And I love your last words- definitely, in the momment of addiction, it feels like the right thing to do but it really isn't in the long run.

schivafrecce
Regular
Completed: BLACK
Projects: /!\Work in progress/!\
itch: schivafrecce

#15 Post by schivafrecce »

zephyo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 pm @schivafrecce oml dying TT I loved Black it was beauttiful and touching I'm so fortunate to hear this from you!?!! my tablet is a Monoprice 10 x 6.5 in (I've never tried another one tho so, not sure if it's good)
You flatter me :oops: thank you so much for your answer (I really need to buy a new tablet)
@schivafrecce and Cirrocumulus-Cloud I'd be honoured to have your guys' hard translation work! But how do I do this? Should I give a Google Doc?
I think a google doc is a good idea :D 👍