Moonlight Walks 2.0 Released

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Moonlight Walks 2.0 Released

#16 Post by LVUER »

Same thing too. But in my case, just after you try taking Marie's picture and found you didn't take anyone's picture, save, got out, go to extra, and found several images that I've never seen. Not a big thing, I think, but it's still a bug. Is it intended?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

Adorya wrote:- When finishing the 1st ending Nothing to say, the art gallery unlock the 1st window from the top right but also unlock a pick of Mary I didn't see in this path (Mary's face in the beach). Is it intended?
Yes.

This was an additional piece Mugenjohncel created that didnt' quite work out story-wise, so I wound up cutting it. But it was relevant and a well-done piece, and so I left it in the game. Spoiler for endings 3 and 4:
The piece showed Mary on a digital camera preview screen. But ending 1 establishes that a ghost doesn't show up in camera images. To me, that means that her image doesn't register at the CCD, and so also wouldn't show up on the preview display. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in MW, but I suspect that the main character had a digital SLR with an optical preview, which he saw Mary through.
That's the camera I had when I wrote Monlight Walks. The game is somewhat autobiographical, in the sense that when in doubt I filled in details about the main character with my own, and surprisingly prophetic when it comes to predicting my future life.
Mugenjohncel wrote:Umm... Can we do an imagemap based GUI in the next release?... and maybe some BG music?
Hrm. I actually like the noisetrack that MW currently has, so I'm kinda loathe to change it. I think that the use of random natural sounds actually contributes to the feel of the game. I'm not sure about the GUI... while doing the remake, I actually consciously took a step or two back from the conventions of Japanese games.

Right now, I'm actually pretty happy with MW (save for the Czech version still being at 1.1). 2.0 is a solid game that has has the new art complimented in a few places (even 4chan, in their backhanded way), and so I'm wondering if it might not be better to focus on creating new games rather than re-re-releasing MW.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Adorya »

Ok, I pretty much though that way when I saw the added image, it was kinda original that a bonus cg is unlocked through cg "depository" because of the story, and would add more depth to a mystery game-like (I think it's a classic in ghost stories trigger). So it was intended :)

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#19 Post by Alessio »

PyTom wrote:The game is somewhat autobiographical, in the sense that when in doubt I filled in details about the main character with my own, and surprisingly prophetic when it comes to predicting my future life.
Uh... PyTom
married a ghost?
*shivers*
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#20 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Alessio wrote:
PyTom wrote:The game is somewhat autobiographical, in the sense that when in doubt I filled in details about the main character with my own, and surprisingly prophetic when it comes to predicting my future life.
Uh... PyTom
married a ghost?
*shivers*
mah... If I tell a pair of two of things on myself, will be more than shivers....

Anyway, I find Moonlight 2.0 really well done graphically, and comparing 1.1 and 2.0 side-by-side we can see the leaps and bounds done by Ren'Py in these five years. Well done, PyTom !

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#21 Post by mikey »

Personally, the overall feeling (the emotion) I got from this updated game was exactly the same as what I got from the old one. The only difference for me was that MW's screenshots look more eye-catching. It's like your ordinary girl who is now all dressed up. At first sight you think wow she is pretty now, and then you talk to her and see that she is in fact exactly the same girl.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

I want to point out that all the credit for the graphical improvements goes to Mugenjohncel. I did a little work to integrate things, but 98% of the work that went into MW 2.0 was by him.

mikey>>> One of the things I wanted to ensure was that even with far better graphics, MW felt like the same game, with the same mood.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#23 Post by mikey »

Ah, in case that didn't come through like that (but I think it did - I'm kind of insecure today :oops: ), the fact that the spirit of the game was kept intact was a compliment.

$inker
Projects: My First Visual Novel... Yeah!

#24 Post by $inker »

I just wanted to say that I loved the game, both versions. I in truth like all the games I've played that use RenPy an I've downloaded most of the BxG games on the site, a few of the others too. I really love the versatility of the program, and how you can always go back to that old game and turn a good game into a better one. Thanks again for the great game and RenPy too.
-$inker
~$inker~

south desert islander
Regular

#25 Post by south desert islander »

Getting back from a deployment overseas is tiring to begin with. But when that fact that my first Ren'py game I get back is remake of a classic is just to much. I am really glad how this was done and enjoyed this version just as much as the first version.

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#26 Post by Midnighticequeen »

I like the new visual design it looks nice and it's still has a sweet ending, you know if you pick the right choice

Andreas

#27 Post by Andreas »

Just tried the game and really enjoyed it.

Is it odd that having gotten what I think is the good ending I'm slightly reluctant to replay to get one of the other ones. :lol:

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#28 Post by Vatina »

Andreas wrote:Just tried the game and really enjoyed it.

Is it odd that having gotten what I think is the good ending I'm slightly reluctant to replay to get one of the other ones. :lol:
It's strange, I felt the same way. Getting the ending I got first, it all came together in a way so that I almost didn't want to know what would happen otherwise. I don't usually feel that way about these kind of games.

Andreas

#29 Post by Andreas »

I think this was the first VN game I tried (I ran through a couple in a single day). I've since tried more and so far this is the only one where things just came together so well I didn't want to try it a different way, as you said (Although I feel I should admit one other did come close).

I really like the concept the concept of these games. At it's best it feels like I'm working with the author to create a story.

I am feeling a little curious about ending 4 (I had ending 3). I'll have to see if that curiosity overcomes my reluctance...

Vatina wrote:It's strange, I felt the same way. Getting the ending I got first, it all came together in a way so that I almost didn't want to know what would happen otherwise. I don't usually feel that way about these kind of games.

Dalton
Regular

#30 Post by Dalton »

Just finished all endings and I have to say, this game was beautiful.
I really hope I can make something at least half as good as this somtime. Thanks for being an inspiration.
~Imagination is more important than knowledge (Albert Einstein)~

Just working on graphics for the moment... May start talking about my project once they are done...