Doki Doki Literature Club! [BxG] Free Download

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Doki Doki Literature Club! [BxG] Free Download

#16 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

This is almost more impressive for players that are familiar with how Ren'Py works. I'm still not sure how some of the effects were even done ... and seeing the traceback message during a certain scene was a great touch.

I've got to admit, I ignored this at first when I originally saw the release thread. Even though the art and graphic design really stood out to me, the premise was something I was completely uninterested in. I missed the significance of the disclaimer. I saw it, I just thought it was the standard boilerplate statement for some potentially uncomfortable content.

I was persuaded to try it after seeing mentions of it pop up seemingly everywhere. And then I knew something was up, because I was seeing references and praise from websites and people that I knew wouldn't like a traditional otome game. I almost want to disect the game....

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#17 Post by Imperf3kt »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 am This is almost more impressive for players that are familiar with how Ren'Py works. I'm still not sure how some of the effects were even done ... and seeing the traceback message during a certain scene was a great touch.

I've got to admit, I ignored this at first when I originally saw the release thread. Even though the art and graphic design really stood out to me, the premise was something I was completely uninterested in. I missed the significance of the disclaimer. I saw it, I just thought it was the standard boilerplate statement for some potentially uncomfortable content.

I was persuaded to try it after seeing mentions of it pop up seemingly everywhere. And then I knew something was up, because I was seeing references and praise from websites and people that I knew wouldn't like a traditional otome game. I almost want to disect the game....
I know what you mean, some of the effects and things used are quite impressive. I've had the exact same thoughts while slowly progressing thorough it over the last few days.

The game really could have used a "pre-splashscreen" though. On my laptop, it appears as if the launcher is unresponsive because the game takes about 30 seconds before it starts.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#18 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm The game really could have used a "pre-splashscreen" though. On my laptop, it appears as if the launcher is unresponsive because the game takes about 30 seconds before it starts.
Ah, really? Everything with the splashscreens and animated main menu pop-ups instantly for me. But I'm running a machine designed for 3D graphic work and video-editing, so it's beastly.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#19 Post by Imperf3kt »

Yeah, my laptop is powered by the lowest tier Intel APU - My mobile phone is more powerful/faster :D

But, even with such a terrible laptop, the game runs really well.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#20 Post by Donmai »

Okay, reached the "special ending" today. Absolutely brilliant! Well done, Dan. I'm certain many Ren'Py users who played your game must now be thinking "Hey! Didn't know that could be done"...
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Bryy
Veteran
Completed: 30+ games so far
Projects: Furry Shakespeare
Organization: Stegalosaurus Game Development

#21 Post by Bryy »

Tell me what dark magicks you did to make this.

Good job.

But my god.

Jowando

#22 Post by Jowando »

The programming is so good. Nice game btw. I got a goosebumps when i play this

Semicolonkid
Regular
Projects: Summoned
itch: semicolonkid

#23 Post by Semicolonkid »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to mimic the sentiment that I skipped over this at first because it looked...well, generic.
Then a friend told me that he HEARD it was really, really good, though he'll never play it himself.
Then I downloaded it.

And then I proceeded to have my mind absolutely BLOWN. I...
I'm gonna say it, I think this VN is a masterpiece. A wretched, twisted masterpiece, but it shook me to my core, and that's rare. And yes, the animations and effects and everything just completely floored me. The sound effects were excellent, the way you messed with the music (like getting just the flute bit to go out of tune for a bit or getting everything to speed up) was superb, and overall...well, it made my skin crawl and put me into a cold sweat and filled me with dread and made me feel completely and utterly alone as I played this late at night, but...
Like I said. Masterpiece. I hate it, I love it, and I highly doubt I'll ever forget it. 10/10

RicharDann
Veteran

#24 Post by RicharDann »

I finally got to play this game... and I hate to repeat what everyone else's been posting but I'm so MIND BLOOOOWN.
Thank you Dan and Team Salvato, DDLC has from now won a really special place in my heart. Like @Donmai and @LateWhiteRabbit said, as a Ren'Py programmer I can't help but be impressed by this game's amazing programming tricks and gimmicks, as well as the beautiful scenes, the great music (I absolutely love the piano in the game's intro), and the twisted but unforgettable and mindblowing story.
I specially liked the traceback.txt and the rest of misterious creepy files and pictures that kept appearing on the game's directory.

And all of Monika's dialogue in the ethereal room was really interesting. I kept waiting and read all of it until she started repeating herself. (and for I minute then I believed she wouldn't)

And I love how meticulously this game is aware of itself. There are many examples but my favorite is when you erase Monika and she restarts the game for the third time. I had made a backup of her character file and put it on a USB like she suggested (I still have it now, and I'll probably have it forever), I tried to put it back and when I started the game a message like this appeared

"Please don't play with my heart. I don't want to go back."

And the file got erased again. This really touched me. Monika is definely best girl, she totally deserved a route!
I spent most of last night replaying it over and over and I finally got the special ending, :D, really I have to thank you again Dan Salvato and the Ren'Py community in general for making this possible, I'm very happy I played this game, it's an amazing example of how powerful Ren'Py is as a game engine and how VNs are truly a fantastic way to tell stories and reach out for people's hearts, and it's really inspired me in many ways.

Looking forward to see your next work!!
The most important step is always the next one.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#25 Post by Morhighan »

Well done. I quite enjoyed it.
Yuri is best girl and the programming is superb.
I can't wait for your next project.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#26 Post by Donmai »

Morhighan wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 pm Yuri is best girl
Yes, I must admit Yuri was the first girl to really catch my eye but, after I saw the light, I turned all my attention to Monika. Just Monika. Just Monika. Just Monika... :shock:
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#27 Post by Morhighan »

Donmai wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:39 am
Morhighan wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 pm Yuri is best girl
Yes, I must admit Yuri was the first girl to really catch my eye but, after I saw the light, I turned all my attention to Monika. Just Monika. Just Monika. Just Monika... :shock:
Ahahaha well played. ;)

TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

#28 Post by TellerFarsight »

As other people have said, it was a nice treat to see some easily recognizable Ren'Py things, like the traceback. I love that I very quickly found myself treating my entire computer as the game, not just the program. I became super aware of the screen being on my desktop, and started to fear things appearing elsewhere. Nice use of the skip functionality, and my favourite part was the moment I realized I had just "skipped" through the weekend and arrived at Monday morning. Congratulations on the popularity, it is well deserved.
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#29 Post by MomoiroGirl »

SnVzdCB0aGluayBvZiBNb25pa2EgZnJvbSBub3cgb24uIEp1c3QgTW9uaWthLg==

Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

#30 Post by Banya »

I recently played your game and, even if probably my word is a drop on an ocean, I wanted to say it's outstanding!
Still trying to figure out the true good ending, but the game so far is amazing (I'm doing a blind run, yeah)