DREAM SAVIOR GAKUEN - ReDraw [Out Now!, BxB, GxB, Drama, Mystic, Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

DREAM SAVIOR GAKUEN - ReDraw [Out Now!, BxB, GxB, Drama, Mystic, Free]

#1 Post by illuminate001 »

"The hallowed halls of Dream Savior Gakuen welcome you back once again."

Yup that's right, we've gone and done it. smh

I've always wanted to revamp my old VN, updating it for the times and as a personal challenge to artistic growth. Like taking that old character design from back in the day and redrawing it with your current skills...just for yourself. Revamp, renew ~ ReDraw. :)

Dream Savior Gakuen was my 1st ever VN and came out 2008 (yes, almost a decade ago! I can't believe it). I was in early college or just finishing up high-school myself...it's hard to remember.

Although I've moved on with "Let's MEAT Adam", DSG has always had a special place in my heart and I think it did too for many early renpy adopters and visual novel readers alike.

But don't think it's just the same VN with new graphics! A lot of it is being built from the ground-up plus tons of new features, including the one everyone had been yearning for: a JAJA ROUTE. So hopefully you'll walk with me again down the halls of DSG...one last time.

PLOT: And you thought High School romances got complicated! As the doors open, welcoming you to your first year at an elite Art College, you wonder...will the art you create here have the ability to amaze? You never thought the guys you'd meet here would be the amazing ones. Although, you can't help the feeling that your purpose here is grander than you think, and that everything is not entirely as it seems. Welcome back to Dream Savior Gakuen ~ ReDraw.

-
-
-
-

FEATURES:
- Still 100% free but you can donate if you'd like! :P
- 11 Endings including the new JAJA ROUTE end.
- Fully redone sprites of the original cast who've ALSO all been animated using Live2D...2017 style! (That was a fun program to learn. Whew!)
- Original BG's have replaced the old filtered photograph ones.
- Updated and cleaned up script/dialog. (so it doesn't feel so early 2000's)
- All new revamped musical score.
- Same ambiguous MC, so you can play as female/male romancing males.
- Revamped UI presentation.
- New CG's and all the originals have been redone completely.

COMMENTS/QUESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU! :oops:
Last edited by illuminate001 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

Re: DREAM SAVIOR GAKUEN - ReDraw [Out Now!, BxB, GxB, Drama, Mystic]

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

SOULSOFT ELECTRONIC ARTS is happy to announce that the revamp of the original DSG is finally out and available for free on the Soulsoft Electronic Arts Itch page! Please join us once more, in the sunset dappled corridors of Dream Savior Gakuen...this time ReDrawn.

A new imagining through dusting off of a decades old VN: Dream Savior Gakuen ~ ReDraw

Thank you to all our supporters who have not only given encouragement but also helped spread the word and provided invaluable feedback. I learned a great deal from this revamp. I finally figured out how to customize the UI for the Preferences and the Save/Load Screens. (Something I was unable to achieve in LMA) as well as learning Live2D. I'm so happy right now, I hope it doesn't sound conceited to say that in this moment I feel very accomplished! ^_^

*NOTE: On first run of the .exe, my AVG needed a few seconds to do a preliminary scan to make sure it was threat free. The scan will pass, and the game will resume as normal. Enjoy!

Last edited by illuminate001 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

Re: DREAM SAVIOR GAKUEN - ReDraw [Out Now!, BxB, GxB, Drama, Mystic, Free]

#3 Post by Ertal77 »

Wow!! This looks great!

And since the original DSG has been on my "to play" list for ages, it's time to give it a go for real now!! Downloading!
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

illuminate001
Veteran

#4 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Ertal77! Long time no see, hope you've been well.

Honestly, not to throw shade at my first...but give this new ReDraw a go. As, in my humble opinion, it's superior to the original in every conceivable way.

Then stop by and let me know what you thought. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

damon-ruru

#5 Post by damon-ruru »

Wooo!!!!!
the new art looks great :3
i have played this game before and got polar ending
where it is revealed that polar is a ghost if my memory serves me right and then i forgot the rest of the story xD
gonna give this game a go again!

illuminate001
Veteran

#6 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Damon-ruru!

Aw why thank you! I'm glad you're going to give it a shot again even though you played the original. I think since it's been so long even though you kinda remember the plot, it'll still seem very fresh with the new art, improved script, new music and more+.

I think you should go for Polar again. Also, I don't know if you recall, but his best scene (cg) has been greatly improved as well. ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#7 Post by illuminate001 »

Thanks to Lucille for contacting me and verifying that the Mac Build works. I've now gone and uploaded a Mac version to the Itch Page for all you Mac users. But don't thank me, thank Lucille. You rock!
ImageImage
ImageImage

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#8 Post by potouto »

I think I managed to get four general endings and it makes me feel sad because all of the endings turn out to be quite bittersweet, even Keeves's :'(
Overall I think everything look pretty swell! I can barely remember the original game because I played it when I was fairly young and ... really bad at English, but it's visible to see there have been a lot of improvements!

yeah well | commission | website

Hinotori

#9 Post by Hinotori »

Tried to play this game, it looked cute. Multiple files in the game folder are making my antivirus go crazy. I'm not about to uninstall my antivirus for this game, sorry. My antivirus is usually very good about games I download on here and other sites. I have installed and played thousands of commercial and indie games over the years. Yet, I have never had an issue with my current antivirus settings to this degree. It could possibly be overreacting, I'm not about to chance it.

illuminate001
Veteran

#10 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Potouto, good to see you again my fellow UI Designer :P Aw, yes the tone of DSGR is abit melancholy. However, if you're looking for an ending that is just sweet and not bittersweet I highly recommend the new Jaja ending. That one turned out just sweet...somehow. lol. Anyways, its good that you don't remember the game much so that it feels completely fresh to you!
I think I managed to get four general endings and it makes me feel sad because all of the endings turn out to be quite bittersweet, even Keeves's :'(
Overall I think everything look pretty swell! I can barely remember the original game because I played it when I was fairly young and ... really bad at English, but it's visible to see there have been a lot of improvements!

@Hinotori, yeah I'm not sure why it seems with the latest advent of updates to things like Windows10 and it's built-in Defender as well as AVG's updates, they've seemed to get alot stricter. It's actually quite moronic as I've also noticed Renpy exe's lately are setting off my virus protection programs which never used to. Even when I ran my own game, AVG grabbed me by the hand, used the airport wand to make sure there were no bombs, before letting my exe pass through...luckily it was only on 1st run.

If I may ask what virus protection program are you using? You don't need to uninstall, you could technically shut down your protection by right-clicking it in the task bar and putting it to sleep temporarily. Understandably I respect your decision not to in anycase. I recently contacted a dev on here whose .exe wouldn't even scan but was quarantined straight away. He said, I'd have to add it to a list of 'safe-to-run" files in the Antiviruses program before unzipping, and even that was too much barrier for me. =/
Tried to play this game, it looked cute. Multiple files in the game folder are making my antivirus go crazy. I'm not about to uninstall my antivirus for this game, sorry. My antivirus is usually very good about games I download on here and other sites. I have installed and played thousands of commercial and indie games over the years. Yet, I have never had an issue with my current antivirus settings to this degree. It could possibly be overreacting, I'm not about to chance it.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hinotori

#11 Post by Hinotori »

I use Bitdefender for an antivirus. I would have to add it as a safe program as well in order to use it. It wasn't even scanning, just putting it into quarantine for me, just like the dev you mentioned. I can't shut down this antivirus without uninstalling it. I took it off of autopilot and it was still quarantining several files, without asking me if they were safe or not.

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#12 Post by ParrotWatcher »

illuminate001 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 pm Hey Potouto, good to see you again my fellow UI Designer :P Aw, yes the tone of DSGR is abit melancholy. However, if you're looking for an ending that is just sweet and not bittersweet I highly recommend the new Jaja ending. That one turned out just sweet...somehow. lol. Anyways, its good that you don't remember the game much so that it feels completely fresh to you!
Congratulations on the release! :) And yeah, Jaja's route is certainly one of the happiest ones, and does take away from some of the problems I had with Keeves' route. I did have a problem regarding the start of the route, though, where the "just friends" option seemed to be received better than the "not yet" option, and it left me worrying about which one to actually pick.
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

Hoosha
Regular

#13 Post by Hoosha »

OMG I played this when I was like 13 and loved it and I was soooo sad I couldn't accept Jaja's confession T.T i wanted to hold hands and go to the movies with him

illuminate001
Veteran

#14 Post by illuminate001 »

@Hinotori: That's so strange! As you can see, a lot of people have been able to play it w/o issue. I'm not sure what to say as I'm unsure what the solution to this could possibly be. I guess I should mention for anyone having trouble with DSGR or any other VN made with Renpy in fact, that if your virus protection is throwing warnings and you trust the source, to temporarily turn off your virus protection. IF it hasn't already quarantined any files.

@ParrotWatcher: Nice! I'm glad to see you gave it a go PW. Jaja was a fan fav right from the onset and many people were upset that he was not a romanceable option. Naturally, he wasn't because of his age so it was tricky, but I like the solution. :P Which was actually an idea I got from a poster in the original DSG thread. So I went back to check on the dialog after the selection choices, and in retrospect, the "Not Right Now" answer from Jaja was a bit cryptic in that it didn't give away much. Of course "Just Friends" means that the feeling is not there regardless of age. What I was trying to accomplish was Jaja pleading with a sense of desperation that if he was older, would the MC still only see him as a friend. Where it went off, is when the MC said: "Who knows what the future might hold". Granted this was to spare Jaja's feelings but the reader wouldn't have fully known that based on its presentation.

@Hoosha: Aww Hey Hoosha! You are actually one of the original posters who was really gung-ho about a remake and really inspired me to do so. Thank you very much!

If you were 13 when you 1st played and it came out 2008-2009 (awkwardly tries to do math in head)...then you are 21-22. I think its high time you gave DSG another play but in its newest form. Especially now that Jaja does have a route/end. But I can't spoil it and reveal if you and he go to the movies. :wink:
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#15 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey all,

Thanksgiving is coming up and before I vanish for a bit, as the holidays are all stacking up and soon I'll be MIA enjoying the remainder of 2017, I wanted to share this awesome fanart for DSGR.

Thank you to Justin Burnfist for, once again, this cute fanart of Polar. He seems to be the most popular of the guys even in the remaster.

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving all! <3

ImageImage
ImageImage