The Villaintine [Free, GxB, Otome/Friendship]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

The Villaintine [Free, GxB, Otome/Friendship]

#1 Post by niannn »

Now in itch.io!

SEQUEL DEMO IS OUT!

Welcome back, Princesses!

It's your second year in St. Goals and you've all done a remarkable job last year. In fact, some of you managed more than ten Villaintines, a grand feat! I hope you all have the same performance this year too!

Now, before we start this year and I let you go to your assigned Villaintines, let's all state the Princess Code:

I, state your name, would uphold the school's mission to clear the world of evil. By giving love to those scorned and turning those monsters into angels. I will be a representative of Peace, Love, and Tranquility...

The Princess knew the code by heart. She is one of the many in St. Goals who wants to help turn a Villain's life around by showing them that someone out there can try to understand them. That there's someone who just wants to be their friend and show them love.

Also, she failed last year's assignment so this year might just be her chance to achieve something... in apparently, just five days. In which she finds out that everything is just based on stereotypes and her beliefs are not exactly as good as she thinks it is.

• Stereotypes: the Villains and Princesses' edition
  • One Ending but with two variations
  • Choices that don't heavily influence the story, they are there for a variety of responses. It only matters if you want to be possible lovers in the future.
  • Story-oriented
  • Extras section!
  • Playable in Windows, Mac, and Linux
  • Cute Character Sprites (?)
  • Sob stories (?)
  • Monochrome Backgrounds
  • A protagonist who tells bad jokes and pick-up lines
  • A tsundere side character
  • A dog who hates your very presence
  • A fanboy who asks for signatures in lanterns
  • And many more...

The Princess (alias-able: instead of a name, you give her an alias!)

'Don't worry, I'll make your life colorful if you let me.'

A cheerful girl who thinks a lot. After failing last year, and being nagged by her Father day in day out, she wanted to do her best this year.

Attributes:
  • can sometimes call herself 'The Princess of Bad Timings'
  • tells bad jokes and pick-up lines
  • cheerful but might lowkey self-depreciate
The Villain (his name can appear early in the game or at the end)

'It seems unable to take a hint.'

The Princess' assigned Villaintine for the year. He might seem villainy in the overall atmosphere of his home, the Princess is still uncertain what exactly makes him a villain.

Attributes:
  • passive
  • refers to everything as 'It'
  • stuck in the emo phase
  • you can probably steal from his house
Credits
For credits, the full list is in the game's folder.

Sidenotes:
  • This is a submission for FFS Jam 2018, wherein I finally achieved something :D
  • Please don't use the rollback feature too much at the moment. I'm referring to being able to go back by scrolling up with your mouse because something magical will happen (jk, just the quick menu disappearing). It's not something I can fix (I'll see what I can do next time) so just please don't use it too much or even at all. As an alternative, you can just click on the 'Back' or save at a menu choice.
  • If you find any other bug aside from the quick menu issue, please email me at niannn08@gmail.com with a screenshot of said bug.
  • Enjoy!
  • I also post some TV-art in my twitter so you can go visit me there. (Recent art post : The Villain's face reveal xD)
UPDATES:
  • 24/02/2018 - Official Walkthrough uploaded here ~ (and some minimal grammatical edits - @bumblebeary's gameplay helped in me discovering some stuff but yeah, I'm really sorry about that and thank you for understanding.)
  • 22/02/2018 - I noticed something the third day that I just really need to change. It's just one word, nothing crucial. So yeah, minimal update.
  • 28/01/2018 - I finished proofreading and transferring it to rpy files so the VN should be okay now, grammar-wise :D (I managed to fit it through the schedule, lol. Anyways, if you still notice some stuff that might have slipped my attention then feel free to tell me.)
Last edited by niannn on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image ImageImage

afternath
Projects: Paeton Kissing Sim
Tumblr: after-nath
Deviantart: afternath

Re: The Villaintine [Free, GxB, Otome/Friendship]

#2 Post by afternath »

Ahhh, I just sped through both routes tonight and I really liked this! It's a really cute game, with cute art, and I really like both main characters. I had lots of fun going through it!

There is a lot of inconsistent tense, and sometimes the grammar is off, but it didn't bother me all that much because I enjoyed it a lot. :)
Remember to drink your cactus juice!

niannn
Regular

#3 Post by niannn »

Oh my, thank you very much for playing the game and for your compliments :) and I actually got someone help me proofread but I guess there's still something off but anyways, I'll work on that more in the future too. Anyways, once again, thank you for playing this game and for enjoying it! :)

EDIT: I did another runthrough of the VN and did proofreading again. (Welps that's embarrassing, but anyways, thank you once again.)
Last edited by niannn on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image ImageImage

ninja kitten

#4 Post by ninja kitten »

Hii, thank you for making this game!~
Between Ruce calling her it and giving her hard trick questions and Gwyn's contagious cheerfulness, it was a very light and fun gameplay. n_n
Seriously, I suddenly became in a happy mood after finishing the game..And was a bit shocked that Gwyn was hard to write for you, you made her cheerfulness seem flowing naturally in the writing. I wished we could see Ruce's face though. :c

niannn
Regular

#5 Post by niannn »

Hello there and thank you for enjoying the game :3 I'm glad that it came out as light as I intended to be :3
So, Gwyn is challenging to write out and I'm glad she came out as natural to you. You see, cheery characters are just not my forte (most of my OCs are either too serious or in the middle of being cheerful and serious). Still, it did help me out and I might write cheerful characters easily now, probably. As for Ruce's face, I'll draw him :3 just watch out for him on my Twitter account~
Image Image ImageImage

LuckyBerry
Projects: aRomancetherapy!, The White Castle (title subject to change), and oh so much more lol

#6 Post by LuckyBerry »

Hello there! So I actually played this a few months ago (actually it had been just uploaded to itch.io when I discovered it) but I didn't have a lemmasoft account at the time nor an itch.io account (still don't have one of those lol)... And today I just remembered about this and decided to take a look and see if by chance there was a thread for it here~ Well, the game is not THAT fresh in my memory since as I've said, it's been a while since I played it but... I remember definitely having a nice time reading this little story and liking it. Hmm... I guess that it would be good if I replayed it one of these days so as to give you a better and more detailed review but... yep, just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your game.

I also really enjoyed reading through your development notes~ It was interesting seeing how your character designs changed (really for the better, though I remember really liking the style you used in one of your early illustrations of her... I think it in part was because in that particular illustration she looked older, like the actual teenager she is because really at first I wasn't sure what age she and Ruce were supposed to be because of the style) and boy can I relate to your "gruesome story"... Ah, it's really not easy to finish a project, much less when you have other things to do such as study or work, and then there's that damned writer's block *sigh*... So yeah, I congratulate you for actually being able to reach your goal of finishing a game even if it was only a short one :) I found the li'l universe you created to be interesting and I remember being really curious about Gwyn's cousin... What was her name again? Lynnie? Lyndi? It was definitely something like that thought I'm sure I mispelled it just now hehe n_n'' I'm curious as to how her story would be since you said it wasn't going to be lighthearted like this one...

One of the things that is fresh in my mind (and in case I wasn't, I would've been remembered of it by your description anyways) though is how Ruce called Gwyn 'it' at first... Haha, that sure was awkward in terms of language usage but I guess I just brought this up because I really didn't quite get why did he do that? xD Ah, maybe I missed something and I would get it if I replayed the game but... yeah, I'm still wondering haha.

niannn
Regular

#7 Post by niannn »

Hello~ thank you for sharing your insights. Anyways, if you replayed it, I guess not much would change, except if you had been stuck on the Friendship route for long and wants to get the Possible Romance one. Also, yes, the pain of the gruesome two weeks xD the suffering and all. And yeah, thank you for looking forward to Lindy's story :) (it's understandable if you didn't get her name right xD her name was mentioned just once so yeah.) Lastly, as for the 'it' part, where there's more to that but as a general idea, it's more like he refers to everything as 'It' generally
after the marketplace incident.

That all haha (i ramble so much i can't even), just thank you for your insights and for looking forward to Lindy's story despite it being not light-hearted like Gwyn's.
Image Image ImageImage