Your Royal Gayness [LGBT+][Humor][Steam]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Your Royal Gayness [LGBT+][Humor][Steam]

#1 Post by Aviala »

Ah, fairy tales! The Prince saves the Princess, they get married and live happily ever after - or that's how it usually goes. But what if the Prince was gay?

Your Royal Gayness is a story-driven fairytale parody game where you must navigate royal life as Prince Amir and rule your kingdom while your parents - the King and Queen - are traveling. Manage your Kingdom's resources, make challenging choices and come up with funny and absurd excuses to avoid marriage!

The game is faithful to the fairytales it's modeled after: the stories are at the front and center. The difference is that you get to choose how the story goes! Every playthrough is different not only because your choices affect what happens, but also because you never know what kind of problems Prince Amir has to face each day. The content and order of the story is always different!

Features:

• A story that changes every playthrough!
• Tons of unique & hilarious excuse combinations
• Endearing characters
• Stylized fairytale-esque art
• Original soundtrack
• Give commands to your advisors, brew potions, set laws and change your outfit in the Management Phase!
• Challenging resource management
• Tricky decisions
• You choose how you want to play - be a benevolent ruler or a ruthless tyrant!
• A fun mix of casual and challenging gameplay

More information:
Your Royal Gayness is a visual novel/management game hybrid. The way it looks and plays is similar to most other Ren'Py games, but instead of a static story that branches at a few points, the game randomizes the order and content of the events. There are a lot of small choices that affect your resources and determine how the story goes. A lot of the minor characters in the story are also randomized to an extent, so there's a ton of replay value! ;)

Buy Your Royal Gayness on Steam and Itch.io:
Your Royal Gayness on Steam
Your Royal Gayness on Itch.io

Last edited by Aviala on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Your Royal Gayness [LGBT+, Humor]

#2 Post by Aviala »

Your Royal Gayness was chosen as RockPaperShotgun's Pick of the Week! :shock:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... is-week-2/

We've also received some great coverage from media especially here in Finland; a major newspaper did a story about us and we also appeared in a couple of local newspapers.

As for the state of the game, we're aware of a couple of bugs in the game that cause crashes and other problems but they will be fixed in a patch that we'll hopefully be able to release within a few days. Thanks for your patience, everyone, and special thanks to everyone who has submitted bug reports so far!

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#3 Post by Ertal77 »

I'm glad your game is being acknowledged! It really deserves it!

It's one of the most original raising-stats games I've played, and I'm looking forward to playing the finished version (since my beta tester version was one of the clashing ones and I never got an ending! *cries a river* ).
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Aviala »

Thank you! <3 Yeah, the beta version was still pretty broken, sorry about that! The game is currently at a pretty good state (waaaaay better than the beta), though the patch has been delayed since we decided we wanted to add some content that didn't make it in at launch and just do one big patch rather than many small ones. We've now fixed the bugs that people have reported, and we're currently working on balancing the game a little better and adding the content that was missing.
Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#5 Post by Mutive »

Grats! That is huge! (Now I need to check this out!)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#6 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Congrats on the release and the publicity!! I've been following this project since its WIP stages and it's really come a long way :)

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

#7 Post by Sleepy »

Congrats on finishing~ Finished up my first playthrough and definitely want to dive in to try out some different paths, even if I was pretty satisfied with my first route's accomplishments (grew out my hair, got two equality goals done, apparently am a scoundrel luring in refugees through kindness, and got to come out without issue).

I didn't spy on any princes the first go so I can't speak for that but I kind of wish there was less princesses, partly because the amount there are makes it difficult to manage the spy/reject mechanic (so I ended up just potion spamming and guessing for about second half of game) and partly because there's not much character to them despite some interesting designs. Things like the princess from the other kingdom was a highlight, just because you have a drawn out convo with her and because the dilemma of whether to accept the fake engagement or stay honest had more weight to it. Likewise, it's hard to gauge what raising Amir's traits does exactly, especially since it seems really difficult to raise it noticeably.

In terms of running a kingdom, though, the gameplay really shines. Not just because of the branching decisions but also because the letters you get throughout the game helps give you a better feel for the impact of your choices, ranging from "worried citizens" concerned about the changes you're making to parents happy their kids can go to school to thanks for anti-discrimination laws.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Aviala »

Thanks for the in-depth feedback Sleepy! I really appreciate it.
I'm currently working on a patch that will at least partially fix the stats issue - there was a bug that prevented the player from gaining enough stats (or rather, the "maximum" of each stat bar was set too high). So gaining stats should be way more noticeable after we release the patch. I can't currently do more to make the stats matter more (too busy to add it to this patch) but they do affect some outcomes in the game - for example, in some events you may lose resources if you fail a stat check. There aren't a lot of these events, so I understand why the stats feel insignificant sometimes.

I may end up making the princesses appear less often because as you pointed out, thy aren't the strongest part of the game. The idea was fun but it was hard to execute well. Also, I think there may be a bug in the princess section because sometimes they don't give you feedback on how you did (they usually say something like "I need to think about it" or "That sounds great" but when I was watching a let's play of the game it seemed the answers were sometimes missing. I'm not sure what's causing it so I probably can't fix the issue in this patch, but maybe in the next one.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and if you decide to do another playthrough I hope you enjoy the upcoming patch - it adds a bunch of new events and fixes bugs and balance issues. :)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Aviala »

We released a really big patch! The biggest changes in the patch are the balance improvements, around 30 new events and storylines and the possibility to go to war with another kingdom.

Here's a big list of patch notes:

version 1.9.1

-Added a separate structure for playstyle events so you're more likely to see Altruist and Tyrant events during your playthrough
-Fixed a bug where Bashir the Bard came to your room even if you had never met him (creepy!)
-Increased Spymaster's Loyalty gathering gain from 12 to 17
-Added big events that give you the opportunity to earn lots of Loyalty
-Added many new events
-Changed law costs to 30 - 70 - 100 instead of 50 - 100 - 150 except for the Equality laws since it makes sense that those are harder to achieve.
-Increased suspicion loss from drinking the Beard potion from -10 to -15
-Changed the maximum of each stat (charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent) to 100 since the stat bars could never be filled before
-Fixed a bug that affected the backer character sprites
-Divided some text into smaller portions in a few sections of the game because the text was overflowing from the text box
-Changed X Potion's effects slightly to favor the player more
-A numerical value now shows up next to the resource amounts when they change; this means it's easier to tell what has been affected and how much
-Made the resource changing animation slightly longer
-Added raid events, so the leaders of other kingdoms don't just threaten you; they actually start raiding your borders
-Added events where you lose kingdom relationship points
-Added imprisoning events: when you're at war with a kingdom, you will get chances to capture their princes and princesses
-Added more dating events
-When your boyfriend is talking, the game now displays his name instead of just "date"
-Important character names are now coloured so it's easier to tell who's speaking
-Fixed a lot of bugs caused by the new events that were added
-Added music to the letters phase - sorry if it gets repetitive, but it's better than silence
-Weekends are now 2 days like they always were supposed to be, so you can gain more stats

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Aviala »

Another really big patch has been released!

The most important things the patch fixes are the Altruist and Tyrant routes - there was a bug that prevented the player from seeing altruist specific events until very late game, but it's fixed now!
We also fixed a bug that prevented the player from seeing any "late-game" dating events, and added a separate structure to date events so that they happen in addition to, not instead of, other events.

We also did a bunch of balance and bug fixes. Gaining Loyalty should be easier now, among other things!

Patch notes - version 1.9.3

-Fixed a big bug that prevented players from getting Altruist events even when they had made enough altruistic or "good guy" choices
-Fixed a bug that caused the Festivals to be skipped even though you have to pay for them
-The Festivals should help you gain Loyalty
-Fixed a bug that caused princesses to say nothing when you pick an excuse that they actually like; you now gain a significant amount of Suspicion when you fail to come up with a good excuse. This affects a few things:
-Spying on princesses is way more important than it used to be
-You may need to have Barry on beard potion duty more often
-Dates with princes now happen in addition to other events, not instead of them, since there wasn't enough time to see both playstyle events and dating events
-Fixed a bug that prevented Amir from having more than 3 date events with his boyfriend (you can now have up to 10 or so).
-Fixed a bug that affected how often Tyrant events can be seen
-Added a short event that happens after the marriage law is passed
-Changed the maximum amount of Princesses per castle to 4 because there wasn't enough time to spy on them all
-Fixed a bug that affected the depressed dragon storyline
-fixed a bug where only the first tier laws had an effect on the resources
-fixed a bug that caused princess Celes to show up too small & floating in the emissary storyline
-fixed a bug that prevented one of the storylines from being deleted after it was done, thus causing weird error messages & other issues
-added music to a few sections where it was missing
-fixed various small graphical bugs (floating sprites, misaligned bubbles, etc)
-added choice hint icons to some choices where they were missing
-added more s's to Barry's speech where they were missing
-fixed a bug that caused the Test to be skipped if you did it once already
-Fixed some typos
-Added a text that shows when laws are affecting your resources
-Fixed a bug where Amir asked about Spymaster's old name even after finding out what it is
-Added name tags to princes and princesses when you're spying on them
-Did various small balance fixes
Last edited by Aviala on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Your Royal Gayness [LGBT+][Humor][Steam]

#11 Post by runeraccoon »

I bought the game due to this update. Thank you for the fun ride!

I haven't played to its full capabilities (evil overlord lmao), but I want to say that getting hooked up with a prince still only allows G to have 3 dates and not more, which is a bit saddening. I bought and downloaded the game from itch io, does it have the latest update?

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Aviala »

It should be the newest version, check the file you downloaded and see if it says 1.9.3. If it does, it should be correct. If it says 1.9.1 or something else, then you're playing the previous version. The itch.io files were updated a bit after the Steam ones, so it may be possible that you're playing the previous build. If you're uncertain, delete the files you downloaded & the game's folder and download the game again from itch.

What day did you get together with your boyfriend? If it was late in the game, you may just have not had the time to experience all the dates. If it was early game and you only got 3 dates in the beginning and the rest of the game was boyfriend-less, then there's something wrong. We did a bunch of testing and dating always worked for us, but if it didn't work for you and you're sure you're playing version 1.9.3, could you describe what you were doing in your playthrough so we can fix the issue? :)

runeraccoon
Veteran

#13 Post by runeraccoon »

Aviala wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 pm It should be the newest version, check the file you downloaded and see if it says 1.9.3. If it does, it should be correct. If it says 1.9.1 or something else, then you're playing the previous version. The itch.io files were updated a bit after the Steam ones, so it may be possible that you're playing the previous build. If you're uncertain, delete the files you downloaded & the game's folder and download the game again from itch.

What day did you get together with your boyfriend? If it was late in the game, you may just have not had the time to experience all the dates. If it was early game and you only got 3 dates in the beginning and the rest of the game was boyfriend-less, then there's something wrong. We did a bunch of testing and dating always worked for us, but if it didn't work for you and you're sure you're playing version 1.9.3, could you describe what you were doing in your playthrough so we can fix the issue? :)
Whoops yeah, I still have the 1.9.1 build. Thanks! Looking forward for another playthrough~

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Aviala »

runeraccoon wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 am Whoops yeah, I still have the 1.9.1 build. Thanks! Looking forward for another playthrough~
I'm glad the issue got solved, and sorry for the confusion with the versions, the problem was probably on our end because we rolled out the itch update a few hours after the Steam one. Thanks for supporting us!

runeraccoon
Veteran

#15 Post by runeraccoon »

Got an error message, it's supposed to be my fourth meeting with the date. /cries

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/day cycle2.rpy", line 7435, in script
    $ current_prisoner_pronoun == "he"
  File "game/day cycle2.rpy", line 7435, in <module>
NameError: name 'current_prisoner_pronoun' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/day cycle2.rpy", line 7435, in script
  File "E:\21\games\YourRoyalGayness-1.9.3-win\renpy\ast.py", line 805, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\21\games\YourRoyalGayness-1.9.3-win\renpy\python.py", line 1641, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/day cycle2.rpy", line 7435, in <module>
NameError: name 'current_prisoner_pronoun' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1749
Your Royal Gayness 1.9.3
Edit: replayed from the last save (Day 21), there's another meeting with the date that repeated the second date (in the garden), then several days after the error occured again when I was supposed to show the dungeon to the prince. ;_; I just want some more sweet moments hhhh.

Edit 2: Ignored it and the error showed for the second time, then ignored it again. The dialogue showed up, then another error, then I hit ignore for the third time before continuing on. At least I could pass the error screen, and got to happy marriage with my prince, hoho.

Very nice game, thank you for making this!