The Garden Society: Kykuit

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#31 Post by kara24601 »

I didn't mean base it on last choice alone.
I was refferring to "being nice to everyone" / taking a netreul ( sp. ugh )
stand...
:)
Sorry if I wasn't clearer earlier or something.
:oops:

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#32 Post by Otaku Dash »

Finally was able to download it with the other games... from all the replys the game must be very good... can't wait to try it. :D
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#33 Post by chronoluminaire »

Well, I certainly liked it :) *Wonderful* atmosphere. The music works so well. A fascinating and striking game.

On the graphics: I love them! The characters are so expressive. Corus' sweatdrop expressions are cool! :D I really like the clothes on the girls, even those in the backgrounds by the sunloungers. The ending credits are so professional: excellent stuff. (Only one criticism on the graphics: um, how long are Randell's arms? -.-;; ) With the black-and-white (which works really well), the default colours of Ren'Py menus etc look a bit out of place. I'd recommend going thru common/style.rpy and setting each of them to some grey in your own init blocks. Otherwise, to have the only colour in the game be Ren'Py titles looks a bit odd.

There were a few typos which I'll send you in a PM; overall, though, the English was excellent.

Story-wise... I'm scared at your portrayal of a very typical teenage boy's mind, full of insecurities and hormones... ^^;;;;

Gameplay: On my first playthrough I initially selected what seemed natural choices, and when they seemed to be focusing on Nadine I decided to make a dedicated try for Nadine (even though the first time Elena appeared on my screen the cuteness took my breath away). I made what I thought were all Nadine choices except for one that turned out to be a Vivian choice, and got ending 5, Vivian vs. Nadine. Oh well, I thought, obviously got to be really dedicated to one girl. Next playthrough, I tried to focus exclusively on the sweetness incarnate that is Elena... and got ending 5 again. Hmmmmmm. I went to one of my savegames and chose different options... and still got ending 5. This is where I do a sweatdrop face like Nadine's.
...Still, I guess it just means I haven't figured out the game's internal workings yet. But the characters are wonderful enough that it will be no trouble for me to keep playing through until I get at least some ending other than 5!! ;)

Congratulations on an absorbing game with a lot of reply value and some fascinating characters! A brilliant NaNoRenO entry! :D

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#34 Post by rioka »

Otaku Dash wrote:Finally was able to download it with the other games... from all the replys the game must be very good... can't wait to try it. :D
lol I can't deny that I'm not averse to that kind of conclusion... ;D ...But don't believe all the hype until you've seen and judged it for yourself.

Chrono>> lol Yup, I totally agree with you on Randel! I would consider redoing the menus (and even Randel) but if I do so, I just don't think it would be a NaNoRenO game anymore if I meddle with it after the fact. Hmmm, then again, the typos are there and I will technically meddle if I fix them... :thinks: :?
chronoluminaire wrote:Story-wise... I'm scared at your portrayal of a very typical teenage boy's mind, full of insecurities and hormones... ^^;;;;
Nyaaa? :tilts head to side: Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Is it scary that I hit the mark or because I didn't? :totally feeling like a guy in the dark and clueless about what just happened. How ironic, don't you think? =P :

gameplay: lol Maybe you three were all just meant to be... Why fight fate? ;)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#35 Post by Taleweaver »

My first ending was ending 1... a little weird as I hadn't really cared about Viv before. I'll try and go for the other endings... so far, it's a little difficult to make out what determines your relationship to the other girls and boys. We'll see...

Mood: great. Arthur's character is a little weird at first, but all in all, everything is nice and believable.

Sound: fine. Where did you get the MP3s from? If you wrote them yourself, which software did you use?

Art: great, as always.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#36 Post by rioka »

All the music was made by JestaAriadne. According to her site, she used Melody Assistant and Harmony Assistant. I'll ask her about it if you want a more specific answer. =)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#37 Post by mikey »

While we are at it, I forgot to praise the menus/font/style, which matches Amgine Park and is really a distinctive Ren'Ai Games trademark now. Also, great ending credits with changing characters which follow the same design.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#38 Post by Taleweaver »

On my second try, I reached one of the bonus endings... ending 2... and I also found out how the "relation markers" are determined. The first part of the game is a little like "Tokimeki Check-In" - do one thing and you'll meet one girl, choose another and you'll meet another. Like the infamous "sweep the floor/mop the floor" decision tree, there's no logical way to determine which choice belongs to which girl, but this gets a little better later in the game when your decisions quite directly show your tastes both in art and in girls :) Still haven't played enough for ending 8, but I think I'm going to try that one, too.
More about me in my blog

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#39 Post by rioka »

The beginning seems illogical at first but it if you think about it, the choices correlates to the situation and/or personality of the resulting person. But yeah, you hit it on the nail about the art and so forth. Well done!
Taleweaver wrote:Still haven't played enough for ending 8, but I think I'm going to try that one, too.
Good luck! That ending is a bit trickier to get as mikey can attest. One whole day... ^^;

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#40 Post by Taleweaver »

As an answer to your spoiler:
While the choices do correlate to the resulting girl's personality, you don't normally know the personality you're trying to meet beforehand. After all, you're new to the Garden Society, so while the result does reflect your choice, you have no way of guessing the result beforehand... only by multiple replaying can you see which choice leads to which meeting. The "art part" is a little more "plannable" and, in my opinion, a lot more fun.
Ending 8 must be a rather special ending... probably one where you have to give everybody exactly the same amount of attention, but that's just a wild guess; I haven't really tried that out.
More about me in my blog

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#41 Post by rioka »

You have a point there. I haven't considered how someone new to the game would perceive it initially. Hmm, must make a note on that for future games...

Yes, Ending 8 is special. Some would even call it the "true" ending...

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#42 Post by Taleweaver »

Heh. Got endings 5 and 6 now... working on 8. I know HOW to get to that one, I guess, I just have to figure out what the decisions mean :)
More about me in my blog

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#43 Post by Blue Lemma »

Yay! I got ending...with BONUS! :wink: :D

But... where are those sexy pics of Nadine, huh? :wink:
chronoluminaire wrote:Story-wise... I'm scared at your portrayal of a very typical teenage boy's mind, full of insecurities and hormones... ^^;;;;
Oh, I'll show you raging hormones... :wink: *makes nadine pic patch* XD

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#44 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:8 is special. Some would even call it the "true" ending...
Yes, we would.
Taleweaver wrote:Like the infamous "sweep the floor/mop the floor" decision tree,...
I hated that one in fact (in TCI). But well, as for me, I think the game doesn't make a priority of getting the girl, I would say making friends is the point (you don't really end up on a date... mostly ^_^), so the focus is IMO somewhere else. And an important effect the game had on me was that it did not force me into a relationship. You know, choosing Nadine did not mean I liked her, but just that I wanted to talk to her. That's why I mentioned I had to refocus on the game and then it was really enjoyable.

Grey
Veteran

#45 Post by Grey »

Got around to playing this today.

First time round I got ending 2, with bonus, which is as it should be.
Then 1, and 4.
And just now 7, which had me laughing :lol:

The art is good, there are a lot of people around in the background, as others have said, which really adds to the setting. One thing that stood out though is Nadine's lips...they look rather odd since none of the other characters have lips...

Also apostrophes are not used to denote plurals. The plural form of photo is photos, not photo's.
I think I've seen you do the same thing elsewhere as well, but I'm not certain. Sorry if it was just a typo.

I don't <i>think</i> I spotted any easter eggs, but I can't help but think that Gen has a cameo in it somewhere either in the background, or on one of the other bits of art.

And, I managed to crash another game (see When I Rule the World) >_< I'm not gonna get any peace from this until Heikou's released, I swear. This time I was going for ending 7 until the 'Talk to Miss B option', then choosing the middle road for the next two options. I havn't tried to recreate it though.
RenPy wrote: I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

NameError: name 'missb7' is not defined

The last script statement executed was on line 2592 of game/script.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "run_game.py", line 61, in main
File "renpy\main.pyc", line 157, in main
File "renpy\main.pyc", line 121, in run
File "renpy\execution.pyc", line 68, in run
File "renpy\ast.pyc", line 597, in execute
File "renpy\python.pyc", line 663, in py_eval
File "<none>", line 1, in <expression>
NameError: name 'missb7' is not defined

The last script statement executed was on line 2592 of game/script.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 4.7