Reconstruction 01 ~Release~

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dre
Regular

Reconstruction 01 ~Release~

#1 Post by Dre »

Well, that was a close one, but I finally got it done to it's original completion point. Sadly I wasn't able to add the extra due to the time limit but it's ok without I guess. There are 2 endings, 3 if you add the game overs, and file size is around 7 mb. I was able to try some cool things in this game and I hope you find them pretty interesting too.

http://allugic.com/reconstruction01_pro.html

*Even though I checked the game pretty close, there are bound to be spell errors and such. If you find any please say so, I might go back and fix the game up and add the extra to the 2nd ending.

Thanks, I had fun!

Edit:Fix url, sorry for the problem. :oops:
Last edited by Dre on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

I knew it!! You secretive SWANny... person! Downloading now. As with Kykuit though, I should have some impressions later in the day.

Congratulations!!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

Sweet! What a nice surprise. Congratulations on your NaNoRenO release!

The synopsis sounds interesting and the screenshot looks nice. Ahhh.. so many games, so little time. Btw, would you like Reconstruction to be listed in Ren'ai Archives? From what I've seen and read about it so far, it looks like it fits the submission criteria's. =)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

ARGH! NOW I FIGURE OUT WHAT THAT WORD IS FOR!!!!

(just for reference, I got ending 1)

stats:

artwork: 8/10: not much to comment on, really.

execution of game: 9/10 (+1 hit point limit = 10/10): for once, we have a maze. and it's the subtle hints like the word I should have written down that make interesting built-in passwords.

sound: 10/10: everything is right on the spot as far as sound, feel, and usage.

story: 6/10: YOU LEFT ME HANGING!!!!!!!

overall: 8/10
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by mikey »

Alright, time for some comments from me as well...

First and foremost, the story is really very captivating, although I am not generally into sci-fi, an abandoned oil rig always works well ^_^, and there is much mystery as to who where and why.

The artwork is striking (as we are already used to from Allugic), basically the whole game reminds me of Will's Critical Point in terms of atmosphere and art design - and your characters may even be better than those of the pro game (which have ugly faces, IMO).

The only thing is... the story seems to go beyond what the player can reach in the game, so it's a little disappointing in this aspect. Still, I read the first post, any chance that there might actually be something like "part 2"? Perhaps I'm missing an ending, but I've tried all I could and I got Ending 1 and Ending 2 (plus a whole lot of gameovers). I also like the "action" part, it's a good variation of gameplay. I almost made it through the corridors on my first try!

Still, I think it's so good that you did this game - it's I think too short (like Sango), but if you ever decide to extend the storyline and finish the story of Project Life, I think it will be a great game. Plus, the character art is fantastic, I have to mention that again ^_^.

There are also several typos I noticed, but nothing that would spoil the experience.

So congratulations on a successful NaNoRenO 2005 project!! :P

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#6 Post by kara24601 »

I'll post / pm details later but yep there are definately spelling errors and some odd sentences throughout the game.
Unfortunately , I didn't get any good endings...kept getting "shot" or whatever and ended up having to go back to the ship but that is a quit so I'm guessing it's a bad ending. Heh.
I'll play with it some more later.
Also, it may save the players a bit of frustration if visual or audio clues were given as to which turns would lead to danger spots. It may just be me, but getting zapped for wanting to explore every turn in the building kinda felt like a cheap shot.
No , it's not just you. I was annoyed by that as well. I love to "get lost" / explore in a game but not at the expense of death. Then again who does? Heh. I totally agree that there should've been some clues.
Last edited by kara24601 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#7 Post by Kikered »

Review time!

Graphics - The visuals for the game were decent and largely showed the players what they needed to see. There were several nice details on the background images like the textures on the surfaces of the maze and the slight mist around the oil rig. I couldn't help but notice that the reports shown on the ship's HUD (for a lack of a better term) consisted of random characters. :P

As for the characters, the captain's friend and the mystery girl were nicely drawn/colored! 'Tis a shame that we didn't get to see more of either of them.

There were a couple of things that I need to comment on. Where is level 45 on the oil rig - underwater or above? I forgot whether it was specified, but it seemed kind of odd how everything inside the rig was blueish. Also, it may save the players a bit of frustration if visual or audio clues were given as to which turns would lead to danger spots. It may just be me, but getting zapped for wanting to explore every turn in the building kinda felt like a cheap shot.

Sound - The music fit the overall sci-fi feel that the game had. All of the tunes were catchy, but I felt that they were pretty repetitive after half a minute.

The sound effects also worked for the game. However, I absolutely dread the powerdown sound effect. It interrupted the "fight" song's pumpin' techno beats one too many times. :x

Story - Overall, the game felt more adventurous than ren'ai-ish. The story of Earth's decadence, the humans' plight, and Project Life was all very intriguing. It's too bad that the game didn't cover everything and left us hanging. :evil:

Overall - A pretty solid start! It seems like this game may be continued later on down the road, and hopefully more will be uncovered then. Although the game contained several typos and some odd sentences, it still got the story across. Congratulations on making the NaNoRenO release.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

Dre
Regular

#8 Post by Dre »

Thanks for the reviews!

I just did a full play through my game(yes, it's the first time) and I did see a lot of spell and grammar errors myself. Funny how you can see things better when they're played. Also, as I was playing, I ran into a big no no that will have to be fix with no maybes. So I'm going to re-release this one with the fix's and the add on story so you can get the full of what is going to happen after ending 2. If I'm going to make this into an series is still in the air but I do have several ideas that could happen for sequels. :wink:

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

Ok... my review:

Pros: good sci-fi atmosphere. Your main character is a nice Han Solo type (even has trouble with artificial people ^^). and the whole setting is pretty captivating. The graphics and music are appropriate, too.

Cons: Trial-and-error gameplay. The whole "labyrinth" part is just a mess; all rooms look the same and you have no way of knowing where to go to. Worst of all, I found the battery pack BEFORE entering the "log room", and when I had this "powerdown", I was wondering how to insert the battery pack when there was no option to do so. Of course, the solution is just going back into the log room -_- well, should have figured that out before.

The password is essentially the only "choice" that matters for it determines between ending 1 and 2 (besides the "game overs"), and really, that's not too much. After so much atmosphere, so little story and no resolution whatsoever? Not my cup of tea, and I'm a big sci-fi fan. More replay value would have been great - look at "Garden Society Kykuit" and "When I Rule The World" for a change. :)

All in all a solid little game but with a really frustrating element and next to no replay value. Great that you were able to finish it for NaNoRenO, though.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

I don't know about frustrating. Having to explore and build a map is an important part of a lot of games. And one factor which I realised it did provide was the uncertainty whether there might be more to it than you've found so far :)

(Of course, the damage system and the password problems are both killed by rollback. You really might want to disable rollback and use readback in its place, because otherwise the user can effectively cheat at these sections with no effort.)

I may as well finish my review since I've started...

The graphics were very effective at setting the sci-fi feel. And the one girl image is very good. Want more! :) The sound was also effectively atmospheric. The rain room, for example, would have been boring without the sound, but worked excellently with it. The characters seem cool, both the narrator, his computer, and the other characters. The amount of spelling and grammar mistakes really bugged and frustrated me, but I'm more attuned to that kind of thing than most people :)

But along with everyone else, the major disappointment was it ending where it did. Things just started getting really interesting, I was revved up for some more revelation of Project Life and to find out some more about the female characters, and... the end? Awww! It's fair enough for fitting in within NaNoRenO, but the story really does want a continuation :)

Dre
Regular

#11 Post by Dre »

Ok, the reviews don't seem to be getting any better, so lets see if I can help some of these cons.
Also, it may save the players a bit of frustration if visual or audio clues were given as to which turns would lead to danger spots. It may just be me, but getting zapped for wanting to explore every turn in the building kinda felt like a cheap shot.
No , it's not just you. I was annoyed by that as well. I love to "get lost" / explore in a game but not at the expense of death. Then again who does? Heh. I totally agree that there should've been some clues.
Starting with this. Yes, just random, run into danger scenes was kinda a cheap shot. I see that now. But this idea was not the main focus of this labyrinth. What I wanted to show more than anything was my life force system. That 3 bar thing in the right connor of the screen. I didn't really think anyone wanted to explore the whole thing even though I left some rooms with small side story's.
(Of course, the damage system and the password problems are both killed by rollback. You really might want to disable rollback and use readback in its place, because otherwise the user can effectively cheat at these sections with no effort.)
And yes, this is why I left it on. Since I left out the complete ending and made it a complete mystery to which room was a trap, I just let you roll back so you can get to or continue on with the story. I'll most likely fix this in the final.
The whole "labyrinth" part is just a mess; all rooms look the same and you have no way of knowing where to go to
That was the point. You wasn't suppose to know. Plus I wasn't about to draw several different labyrinths for a game that was dew in one month. I would of never finished. Even though I could have changed the color of them or something, the idea of the location was a secret. You want to throw the visitor off of any suspicious actions happening. So you make every room similar. This is at least how I see it.
The password is essentially the only "choice" that matters for it determines between ending 1 and 2 (besides the "game overs"), and really, that's not too much. After so much atmosphere, so little story and no resolution whatsoever? Not my cup of tea, and I'm a big sci-fi fan. More replay value would have been great - look at "Garden Society Kykuit" and "When I Rule The World" for a change.
Hum.......I'm sorry you got the wrong idea for this game. It was meant to tell a story with a little player interaction here and there.(take a look at planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~, that where my game idea was inspired from) Where I really wouldn't have a problem with reply in a game that would focus on the more traditional, come to so and so location, meet a bunch of characters of the opposite sex, and try to end up with them before the game ends, I here, again, wanted to tell this story I thought up. And I'll admit, in some areas of the game, I really didn't set the elements up too well, but I was on a time limit. It was tuff as it is.
The amount of spelling and grammar mistakes really bugged and frustrated me, but I'm more attuned to that kind of thing than most people
Ahh....I know I won't get em all by the final release, so any, on their free time, could post/pm/e-mail me a list of the error, that would be great. :P

Thanks for your out looks on this game, I was able to see a lot of things that could use some tuning.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

Dre>> Well, many times the concept you thought up (more linear plot, random sequences) won't have acceptance everywhere, but if you believe in your design, go for it. Don't ignore practical comments, but in terms of game design and story I'd say do what you feel is good, despite negative comments. La resistance, heh ^_^. No seriously, wanting to please everyone may end in pleasing... (you know the rest)

burnout02urza

#13 Post by burnout02urza »

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? The site is down, and I can't seem to find any alternative downloads...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#14 Post by rioka »

Unfortunately, Reconstruction is only available at Dre's site. I had asked him if I can mirror it at Ren'ai Archives but he hasn't responded so I took that as a "No". So either, a) wait till the site is back up or b) someone nice will send you a copy of the game. Currently at work so I can't do this bit - sorry. Maybe later if no one beats me to it... ^_^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by mikey »

Hmm... the site and download work for me.