When I Rule The World: released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#31 Post by chronoluminaire »

Just so you know, I've updated the game to use Ren'Py 4.7.2 so that the savegame bug should no longer happen. I also added credits for the background artists to the readme file, clarified about fullscreen mode, and removed the music/sound preferences from the options menu. I made no changes to the game or story: although I've now found an image that would have made a better classroom, I'm leaving the game as it was released for NaNoRenO. This is just to fix the bug so that new players can save their games with confidence. The updated game (v1.1) can be downloaded from the Ren'Ai Archives as before. If anyone wants the old release (v1.0) for any reason, you'll have to contact me.

Xarbia

#32 Post by Xarbia »

Well, I have finally found some time to start playing the NaNoRenO games.

Congratulations on this game, chronoluminaire. A very nice story and especially some very believable characters. The game really pulled me in, and after playing it once and getting to ending one I spontaniously decided to play it again the next day, out of curiosity about how Selena could possibly have gotten those thoughts into her head. And the explanation was believable. Still, there has to be more to the whole affair... that cafe wkend can't have been just a coincidence, right? ;) I think the theme was a dangerous one, it seems easy to get carried away and lose track of the truth and realism of the story, but you managed to keep in control very well.

The character graphics were also very nice, and I'm glad you let me see them throughout the entire game :) On the other hand, I did not really like the effect of the background graphics. The large blocks of one color (oil-painting somebody said?) look rather weird to me. But that might be just my personal preference. I did not particularly mind the gray background though (I hadn't really noticed it was gray until I read some of the reviews).

All in all, an impressive achievement for only one month of development time. It makes me curious what you can do in a game that is in development for years... it must be grand!

Tyciol!

#33 Post by Tyciol! »

I got all the endings! Very fun game.

Ezzetabi
Regular

#34 Post by Ezzetabi »

I played this game for having all endings. The first I had was the second, quite sad Eletis won't love me... :?

The 3rd ending, it is the same of 2nd!
I did not noticed until I wrote down the number when I finished!
I played, at least 4 times seeking the path for the missing ending... :|

I liked all endings anyway... even if the number 4 is a little disturbing overall after the path you select for arriving there (Yes, I can see that...) :shock:
My shoujo attack's tutorial page is completed!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by chronoluminaire »

Well, endings 2 and 3 are fairly similar. It's just that
There's only one way that things can end up if she goes to see Eletis. Whether she's in love with him or not, he's not going to let her walk away still believing in The Agency, and neither is he going to let her obsess over him any longer if there's anything he can do about it.

And to those who say he was weak enough to go along with the whole The Agency thing in the past, maybe he's still weak? I'd just point at how he reacts in the dead of night and say: he's strong enough to do that. And Selena's strong too: she just happens to be feeling weak at that point...

Of course, this is just how I see the characters. If you think things could be different, feel free to write a fanfic ;)
But yes, I won't have such similar endings in my next game. There was also a certain "NaNoRenO's 3 days from ending and I need to get this written!" factor... :lol:

Tali

#36 Post by Tali »

I got alll the endings. Your game is so much fun!!!

TheOnlyOneKunobi
Regular
Location: The Call is Coming From Inisde the House....... In England

#37 Post by TheOnlyOneKunobi »

Um, I really like "When I rule the World" Espcially the Naze Nani (whatchamacallit) at the end but I have to admit,
I HATE Takishi!
He drove my dear sweet egotistical Selena insane! No one does that to her and lives! (all right if you want to get technical I was the one who drove her mad but those are just details)
Seriously I couldn't warm to him at all, Eletis on the other hand! Well i liked the cut of his jib! And even though I knew It was doomed from the start I almost belived he would at least love her back! *sob*
Any way I'm trying to say is,
Takshi = Bastard,
Selena = marry me!,
Eletis = Be my best man!
"God and Buddah, if you really do exist please know ........................ YOU ARE BOTH MY ENEMY!"
- Excel Excel

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#38 Post by Megaman Z »

TheOnlyOneKunobi wrote:Seriously I couldn't warm to him at all, Eletis on the other hand! Well i liked the cut of his jib! And even though I knew It was doomed from the start I almost belived he would at least love her back! *sob*
Takshi = Bastard,
Selena = marry me!,
Eletis = Be my best man!
I think it's general knowledge that Selena's plans are doomed to fail.

[wait... YOU'RE GOING TO MARRY A PARANOID BLUE-HAIRED GIRL?!?!?]
~Kitsune Zeta

Beta
Regular

#39 Post by Beta »

*Punch-Punch-Kick-Kick-Punch-Punch-kick-Punch-throws Zeta to the floor*

[I took offense at Zeta's comment regarding "a paranoid Blue-haired girl", so I relieved my stress. fortunately, I happen to be near him, and as such... well, you know what happened.]

[oh, dear... he's bleeding... whoops!]

TheOnlyOneKunobi
Regular

#40 Post by TheOnlyOneKunobi »

Megaman Z wrote:
TheOnlyOneKunobi wrote:Seriously I couldn't warm to him at all, Eletis on the other hand! Well i liked the cut of his jib! And even though I knew It was doomed from the start I almost belived he would at least love her back! *sob*
Takshi = Bastard,
Selena = marry me!,
Eletis = Be my best man!
I think it's general knowledge that Selena's plans are doomed to fail.

[wait... YOU'RE GOING TO MARRY A PARANOID BLUE-HAIRED GIRL?!?!?]
Yessssss, and have a deceptive jerk as my best man......... I can't help who I fall in love with.........
:oops:
"God and Buddah, if you really do exist please know ........................ YOU ARE BOTH MY ENEMY!"
- Excel Excel

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#41 Post by Megaman Z »

Beta wrote:*Punch-Punch-Kick-Kick-Punch-Punch-kick-Punch-throws Zeta to the floor*

[I took offense at Zeta's comment regarding "a paranoid Blue-haired girl", so I relieved my stress. fortunately, I happen to be near him, and as such... well, you know what happened.]

[oh, dear... he's bleeding... whoops!]
things just keep going downhill with our frienship, don't they?
Kunobi wrote:Yessssss, and have a deceptive jerk as my best man......... I can't help who I fall in love with.........
okay, BL, title him!

[explaination: when mikey released "marry me, misato!", shortly afterwards, BL gave mikey the title of "Misato's future husband". seeing as you want to marry Selena, I only find it fitting that BL title you as "Selena's future husband"]
~Kitsune Zeta

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#42 Post by papillon »

FINALLY took the time to play this, with my schoolgirls mostly in the can. :)

semi-spoilery but pretty much everyone's played anyway, so...

Being a fan of wacky fantasy settings, I was willing to accept Selena's worldview, right up to the point her method of receiving messages went all Beautiful Mind on us. After that, I was more surprised to find out that *Eletis* actually existed... :)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by chronoluminaire »

Kinobi: Wow, you may be even more of a fan of Selena than I am! I can pass on any fanfic or fanart should the occasion arise ;) I love Selena, I think she's a fabulous character. In a sense it's a pity I told so much of her story in WIRTW, as there's not much scope for another game starring her (well, with her mindset in the same endearing way it is). If I think of a way I could write another Selena story without it seeming painfully cliched, I'll write it like a shot, cause she's just great. But I think WIRTW is likely to be all you get. I think it's complete as is.

Papillon: Heehee. Well done for being the first person to (explicitly) identify the other influence I was consciously aware of at the time of writing. (One friend already identified a section that took partial inspiration from The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time.) I don't like borrowing ideas from published sources, but the newspaper thing really did just seem to fit. Glad to hear I had you questioning reality ;)

TheOnlyOneKunobi
Regular

#44 Post by TheOnlyOneKunobi »

I reckon Selena has had her time (as much as I hate to admit it), she might make a cool sub-character but another game just for her wouldn't really work. It'd be nice to see how she's doing in a few years without revealing too much like who she's with (I'll kill you if you put her with Takeshi!). She could be like a neihbour or a teacher or something.
- Excel Excel

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#45 Post by mikey »

I agree with TheOnlyOneKunobi. It's her personality that makes the game special and (IMO so it should be) this game only. Putting her in a role again... thinking about Mizuho from Onegai T., I think she was there just for the fans the second time around and it showed.