When I Rule The World: released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

When I Rule The World: released!

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

Scraping into a March NaNoRenO release by a few hours, I proudly present you with: When I Rule The World!

Download the Windows installer here or the Windows/*nix zip here. (If you want shortcuts in your start menu and desktop, use the installer; if you don't, use the zip :)) Both are about 18 megabytes. Props do have to go to SunKitten for the amazing amount of character graphics she provided, and to Py'Tom for both providing Ren'Py and hosting the game on renai.us. The one system requirement to be aware of is the game needs a screen size of at least 1024x768. It'll happily run in window or fullscreen, but if your screensize is 1024x768, fullscreen is probably better.

Yes, chronoluminaire finally proves he's not all vapourware :)

I will be uploading a version 1.1 in a while to add in background artist credits, because http://www.sxc.hu/ has been down for a week so I've not been able to look up who to give credit to! Therefore, if you spot any spelling mistakes or suchlike, please PM me and I'll fix those at the same time.

There's a minimal website with a couple of screenshots here. And *finally* I can give myself permission to download and play the several new releases! I have a happy week or two of reviewing ahead ;)

Enjoy the game, and tell me what you think!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

Congratulations Chrono!

Muhahahahahaaa! I finally have it! :twisted:
:goes off in breakneck speed:

Grey
Veteran

#3 Post by Grey »

Well, I sorta broke my no-new games 'till I've released mine. Just for a little look at it.

I really like the 'visible' protagonist style, as well as the character of Selena herself :D

Also impressed with the full body poses rather than just changing expressions.

However, I've broked the game :(

At the point of choosing the to believe him about the paper or not (third option?) saving the game made it crash out.

Any times I've tried to go back to the load/save menu (in game, and from the title screen just result in the same error).

The path I went was 2-2-1, then saving at the choose screen for the 4th option.

Here's the message generated.
RenPy wrote: I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

BadZipfile: File is not a zip file

The last script statement executed was on line 549 of common/library.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "run_game.py", line 61, in main
File "renpy\main.pyc", line 157, in main
File "renpy\main.pyc", line 121, in run
File "renpy\execution.pyc", line 68, in run
File "renpy\ast.pyc", line 139, in execute
File "renpy\exports.pyc", line 233, in say
File "<none>", line 47, in __call__
File "renpy\store.pyc", line 108, in __call__
File "renpy\exports.pyc", line 275, in display_say
File "renpy\ui.pyc", line 45, in interact
File "renpy\display\core.pyc", line 658, in interact
File "renpy\display\core.pyc", line 897, in interact_core
File "renpy\display\layout.pyc", line 106, in event
File "renpy\display\behavior.pyc", line 104, in event
File "<none>", line 5, in invoke_game_menu
File "renpy\game.pyc", line 147, in call_in_new_context
File "renpy\execution.pyc", line 68, in run
File "renpy\ast.pyc", line 222, in execute
File "renpy\python.pyc", line 642, in py_exec_bytecode
File "<none>", line 1, in <module>
File "<none>", line 52, in _file_picker
File "renpy\loadsave.pyc", line 138, in saved_games
File "zipfile.pyc", line 210, in __init__
File "zipfile.pyc", line 235, in _GetContents
File "zipfile.pyc", line 230, in _GetContents
File "zipfile.pyc", line 242, in _RealGetContents
BadZipfile: File is not a zip file

The last script statement executed was on line 549 of common/library.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 4.7

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

that makes two cases of saving the game breaking a script... (one in GSK and one in this game. maybe this should be brought to PyTom's attention?)

Okay... I got Ending four. (I'm assuming this is a bad one...) ...and appearantly that wasn't the end!

sound is omitted from the stat list due to the appearant lack of it. (if there was, SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!)

artwork: 8/10 (+1 for presentation of "active character": 9/10): it was pretty good. the way you showed who's "Head" you were inside was a nice and unusual touch.

story: 9/10: talk about paranoia. where DID you get the name "the Agency", because the post-game Q&A still left me a bit puzzled on that... also, the fact that you played a female was... not exactly normal (lack of a better term)

overall: 9/10
Last edited by Megaman Z on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Can you send me a copy of the contents of the /saves/ directory? I'd like to look at the files there to see if I can figure out what went wrong. Once you send me that directory, you can delete it and the game should start working again.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

darkknight
Veteran

#6 Post by darkknight »

Well being the first here to complete the game here is my review....In stealth mode..I need to get rid of the wrote...I wrote:
After I have checked my notes... here goes.

Pros:
-The story was very original...have not seen any like it(the ruling the world part at least)
-Second, the story moved well and was able to keep my attention through the whole game.
-Third, It was a good idea to put her past in there, depending on which path you took, it showed more of her past and meeting with Eletis.
-forth, I think it was a good visual effect to watermark what she was thinking of...other than just having her in the room.
-Lastly, "herald my rise to power" come-on you cant beat that...

Con:
-In the beginning...at least for me it started out in a normal screen which only let me see half the person and part of the start menu...
-What was up with the character changing..That was a little odd since you are suppose to be the main character and then you are inside another persons head, to me that seems like a cheap and lackluster way of expessing his thoughts and emotions.
-next, The background and characters were different scales...The chair was bigger than the dude in the classroom...
-lastly, there was no newspaper EVER i wanted to see a newspaper...

Other stuff:
-Fibonacci sequence..I hated programming that in school..somewhat difficult
-You did a good job being a gy writing about a girl describing parts of a guy she likes...
-I first got ending 4 witch was disturbing...then ending 2.
-overall a good game..It is tied for first.
-everything in here is only my opinion you can dispute it but it will not change my mind.
Last edited by darkknight on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: save bug

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

Eek. You're right, I've reproduced the problem. It looks like the name I tried to give to the savegame for that section is too long, and causes Ren'Py to die. You can restore functionality by deleting the entry in the game/saves directory corresponding to where you tried to save. I'll have an updated version with that fixed online soon. Alternatively, you could download and save this file into the game directory, replacing the existing one by the same name.

Update: It's not just the length of the save string. There's something up with Ren'Py itself. I don't know what. I guess you could rather than saving, just use skip mode.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

.. downloading... world domination is at hand...

I will have some comments tomorrow, as I spent the day *gulp* chasing a certain woman in a certain other game... :?

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#9 Post by kara24601 »

I don't understand this at all. It looks pretty enough but the text boxes and stuff aren't showing up , so I can't really make choices yet with some random clicking I suddenly got different reactions / back to certain locations.

And for some reason the window / game is off to the side of my screen instead of full screen / center like other games.

I think that there was no mention of these problems and how to solve them in case they happen.

I'm going to try some things later , I'm not in the mood to try now.
:(

darkknight
Veteran

#10 Post by darkknight »

yeah that was a problem i had too...just right click and there should be a thing in the upper right-hand corner that says full-screen.
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Grey
Veteran

#11 Post by Grey »

:( Crashed it again, same problem, different place.

I think this is s hint that I should get back to work on my game :roll:

This time going 1-2-1 and trying to save as soon as I'm wandering close to Eletis' house.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by chronoluminaire »

All>> Thanks for the kind words! :oops:

Save bug: Yes, it looks like it crashes when people try to save under certain circumstances. I really don't think there's anything I can do about that. I'll try to work with Py'Tom to debug it. In the meantime, I recommend using skip mode rather than saving the game. Sorry :(

Megaman Z>> Yes, ending 4 is the worst ;) There is indeed no sound: I would have liked some music, but it was one of the things that had to get cut to get it out within the NaNo timeframe. I did spend a while looking for free midis usable in something that's going to be distributed, without success :(

"The Agency" was just a playtest name that kinda stuck :)

Looks like the seeing inside another character's head for a bit got mixed reactions :) I just decided on the unusual layout because I had this really cool art for Selena, and wanted to be able to show people what she was thinking. Then after I'd set up the "narrator" position, it occurred I could use this to show bits from someone else's POV...

darkknight>> I'm glad you liked it! Sorry about the classroom background: I had remarkable difficulty finding a stock photo of a classroom. Likewise the lounge later. I hope the rest were okay :) Thanks for saying what you think. I'd far rather have constructive criticism than unimpressed silence.

kara, anyone else having screensize problems>> If you can't see everything on-screen, you can toggle fullscreen mode by pressing 'F' at any time. That should help. I should have documented that somewhere more clearly.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#13 Post by Megaman Z »

Chrono>> looking at all the endings... I agree, ending 4 is the worst... (but then again, in none of them does Selena rule the world.)
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#14 Post by darkknight »

so she never does rule the world...such a letdown...kinda like marry me mastio(or something like that)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I've tracked the bug down to the cPickle module of Python, and its interaction with the relatively large data structures created by the readback module.

I'll release a fix for Ren'Py over the weekend, but for now you can make saving work by deleting r.rpyc from the game directory. But please note that this will render all of your current save files unusable... a mixed blessing at best.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom