NaNoRenO 2009: Daemonophilia

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

NaNoRenO 2009: Daemonophilia

#1 Post by Taleweaver »

Even though he's in his mid-twenties, Franklin has never had a real girlfriend, and with a lousy job in a second-hand bookstore, he doesn't have many chances of finding one. However, some books hold secrets Franklin never thought of, and all of the sudden, his sex life becomes much more interesting - and much more dangerous: What if losing your virginity also meant losing your soul?

Daemonophilia.
No spoiler images. Just the game.
Attachments
Daemonophilia-mac.zip
The Mac version I almost forgot
(64.76 MiB) Downloaded 231 times

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Daemonophilia-linux-x86.tar.bz2
Linux archive
(61.02 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
Last edited by Taleweaver on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

Re: NaNoRenO 2009: Daemonophilia

#3 Post by Aashtarsrain »

Just played it first time
Well, entertaining story indeed, but I was mostly impressed by the musical choices, and especially that "reggae of Hell" lol at the end, and the cheerful audience too, very hypnotic... So she "did me", I got the bad ending and... went down !
Going (down) for another try in a few minutes choosing other paths !
Thanks a lot !
Well, second path, much longer and so funny : your two main characters are really lovely and cute, it's very refreshing

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Heh. Looks as though the hotel I'm staying at has internet access. Happy Taleweaver!

Glad you liked it, Aashtarsrain.
My idea was "sit-com style with an edge", and if that's the impression it makes, all the better for it.

As for the characters; living, breathing people (even if they're actually creatures from hell that don't breathe) are absolutely essential for me. I love giving them little quirks, I like to show what they like in their spare time, I like it when they have a life apart from what the player gets to see. I'm glad that made them appear likable and cute in your eyes.
Last edited by Taleweaver on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More about me in my blog

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#5 Post by F.I.A »

For one thing, I am not sure where this fits. It does not have any hcgs to merit a spot in the LHH section, but the usage of erotic words seem to make it so(Count in the background for both menus as well.).
For a story that is about making pact with the devil, it ends up being rather light-hearted.

Funny how the choice between magazines ends up being the deciding result on whether you get a good end or not. At least less choice means that I don't get a headache similar to Metropolitan Blues.

I've managed to get 5 endings, and overall, it has been a good read. The unlockable Developer's Notes and Outtakes are amusing. My only gripe might be "side audiences"( Who got annoying afterward. Good thing that can be turned off by setting the Sound to the lowest) and the transition of the character(The zooming. Just cannot get used to it.

Also, how many unlockables are there? Since I still got a ??? at the bottom in the Jukebox.
That's it. Good work to you two for this nano game.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

#6 Post by Guest »

F.I.A wrote:
Also, how many unlockables are there? Since I still got a ??? at the bottom in the Jukebox.
Bonus track is still unlocked.
There are 3 Achievements - Get All Endings, Go to Hell 3 Ways, Defy Lucifer (3?) times.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

F.I.A wrote:
For a story that is about making pact with the devil, it ends up being rather light-hearted.
And intentionally so. This isn't a very "serious" game; it's something silly I just wanted to do, and DaFool was just the right person to work with.
Funny how the choice between magazines ends up being the deciding result on whether you get a good end or not.
Actually, ending 4 (which can be achieved with reading the "wrong" magazine) is one of the positive endings, though the only ending labeled "good" is the one with the other mag. As a matter of fact, the only thing the magazine question directly changes is how Franklin reacts in the first "what men like" dialogue. If he's sarcastic, he botches the romantic part but can keep his cool during the sex talk. If he reads dirty magazines, he knows that "theory part" on relations needed to have a positive outcome on the romance talk but won't be able to resist Simone during the sex talk. Everything else that follows is directly influenced by the choice of romance over sex and vice versa.
More about me in my blog

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#8 Post by Watercolorheart »

Well, I'll play before I reply since most of the discussion is in spoiler boxes! :P
I'm not even the same person anymore

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#9 Post by Der Tor »

I had no customers right now... so even though i am like supposed to be selling used books, i had to check out the game while still in the right setting.
Believe it or not but a used books store is actually a great place to meet girls (-:
As there are not many customers - but many of those who do come in are actually pretty smart, beautifull, unmarried girls (-:

I have to close my bookstore now, so i had only time to get the "suffer in hell" ending - but, yeah - the guy is pretty much me (-:
Except of course that i am happily married (-:
And last time i checked my wife wasn't a demon - although she seems to think she is able to fly :mrgreen:

Oh and PS: "Hexenprozessen" is spelled with z NOT c :mrgreen:

Ren

#10 Post by Ren »

Liked it very much! I loved the writing style and the music and sound effects!
Could this be hosted on the Renai archives, perhaps?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

Der Tor wrote:Oh and PS: "Hexenprozessen" is spelled with z NOT c :mrgreen:
Intentional. Don't forget this is not the REAL book.
More about me in my blog

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#12 Post by Taleweaver »

Ren wrote:Liked it very much! I loved the writing style and the music and sound effects!
Could this be hosted on the Renai archives, perhaps?
Glad you liked it! Feel free to put it on the archives, too!
More about me in my blog

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

Overall, I liked Daemonophilia. A few spoiler-filled things I thought about...
Franklin says he's not depressed, just someone who's given up. I felt his actions and thoughts showed that he suffered from depression. Especially since he says he doesn't have *friends.* What do you think? Should he be considered an unreliable narrator?
Even though there are sex scenes in this story, they're glossed over, and offscreen. I'm curious why this is so. Did you feel that on-screen sex would ruin your VN's theme or its pacing?

I can imagine this VN could be expanded into a small harem story, featuring two or three girls. For instance, let's imagine some ideas about Franklin. Why is he alone? Maybe... there's some yandere or some stalker-type girl who has been making sure every other girl stays away from him. And maybe... there's some angel who is quite concerned about an isolated individual who's troubled enough to summon demonspawn. The angel takes on the form of a human girl, and... (But these are all just ideas.)
Not a criticism:
Also, I was surprised to learn that Franklin and Simone had one thing in common -- namely, that they felt like failures. That was the moment when I felt Daemonophilia went from being a odd, dark comedy to a sweet story.

Ren

#14 Post by Ren »

Added to the archives, thanks for the permission :3

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#15 Post by Der Tor »

Ok, now i played through all of it... And i must say it's really awesome (even though i wouldn't normaly like ecchi, lolli, demon-thingies). :mrgreen:
But there are two questions:
1. if you allready planned to make it into an audio drama and allready had a whole cast ready for this purpose, than why on earth don't you voice it? It would be totally awesome if it would be voiced! 8)

I unlocked something like feature 2 and feature 3 etc. So i suppose there has to be a feature 1. But i totally couldn't figure out how to unlock that :cry: