Amatire [Released]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Gloranor
Regular

Amatire [Released]

#1 Post by Gloranor »

With little less than 4 1/2 hours delay I can finally announce that my first game has been released.
Though it is propably the worst original english Ren'Ai game released, I hope it is still somewhat enjoyable (either that, or it will serve as the classic bad example for the next ten-twenty generations of Ren'Ai game makers...).
I tested it only on Windows,, but it should work on *nix (and propably Mac) too.

http://drengels.net/amatire.rar (it's little over 5mb)

I'll post tomorrow (well, late) what went wrong and why (and what I intend to do so that it doesn't repeat itself...), but ATM I'm just to tired :/

Good night everyone

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#2 Post by Megaman Z »

I hate to say it (on the first NaNoRenO, no less) but I think you're right. (it will probably serve as the classic bad example [for artwork] for the next however many generations of Ren'Ai game makers... the storyline doesn't seem too bad, though, so all you need is better artwork...)

I'll go through it in the morning (only played about five-six clicks through it...)
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#3 Post by darkknight »

Megaman be nice...it is before you say the game is a bad game...that will serve as an example of what not to do...take in consideration that
a) It is his first game.
b) He actually did it unlike others who have yet to make a game and did not take on the challege
c) you can say it is bad...but just saying the artwork is not too helpful to anyone.
d) he said it was not the best..dont kick the man when he is down.

and Gloranor good job taking the challange, doing a okay job, and not giving up.
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Gloranor
Regular

#4 Post by Gloranor »

@darkknight
Thanks, but as far as the Artwork is concerned, I'm nearly completely invincible - I know I have nearly no talent, I know that I will propably never have any talent, and it being 1-2 o' clock in the morning has never helped anyone.
If I had have a choice I wouldn't have used my own "Art", it was only due to bad planning that I had to... so I can assure everyone that my next game won't have stick figures :roll: :wink:

Any comments on the storyline?(that there is a differentiation is a good sign, I believe :wink: )

Oh, and if you want to put it on the Ren'Ai archive, feel free to do so... I have't read something about"no stickfigures" in the Requirements, but then, I guess noone imagined something like that :roll: :wink:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#5 Post by chronoluminaire »

From the posts above I thought this game was an April Fool :) But I've just played it through, and it's excellent! Particularly notable are the snowy backgrounds for setting the atmosphere. TBH I think you'd have done better with no character art than with the stick figure... ren'ai game players are used to imagining character movement and so on from the flimsiest visual prompting, so I'd say leave it out. The choice between endings 1 and 2 is an extremely cool choice to offer to the player, and I genuinely didn't realise how significant for the plot it would be until I saw the consequences. (Hope I phrased that non-spoilerly) Naturally I first chose towards ending 1... but there are many for whom the other choice would be just as natural :)

Good stuff, and a great NaNoRenO release!

Gloranor
Regular

#6 Post by Gloranor »

Glad to hear that the story was enjoyable, despite being executed not as good as it should've been. :-D

No Character images at all: I guess you are right, I hadn't thought of that.

Endings 1&2:
That was the intention :-). There is no "right" choice - there is only *your* choice, no more right or wrong than anyone else's choice.

darkknight
Veteran

#7 Post by darkknight »

Uhh maybe i should actually play the game...now how do you run a .rar file...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#8 Post by Otaku Dash »

darkknight wrote:Uhh maybe i should actually play the game...now how do you run a .rar file...
Get winrar from then net then extract the contents (like a zip). :)
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#9 Post by chronoluminaire »

If you don't have an archiver that'll extract .rar files, then this is what I used, or Filzip works too.

darkknight
Veteran

#10 Post by darkknight »

okay I actually played the game....my review

Pros:
-It is a good first attept at a game
-Ummm most original artwork I have ever seen.
-It has a good storyline...It is very different from the "normal" games
-very good backgrounds
Cons:
-artwork could use a "little" help (characters dont have hair...)
-At times the story was a little ...confusing..especially the beginning of it.
-I got ending five...I am counting that against you.

Your games is overall tied for second by me...

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#11 Post by Megaman Z »

*Plays through it* yep. Just needs better artwork.

anyhow, the story is... unique, to say the least. this is one of those games where one wrong choise can kill you (as far as getting the "best" ending, which I believe is ending 1).

stats:

artwork: not graded. replace the characters and then I'll grade it. (preferably with something other than stickmen)

sound: not graded. put music in there and then I'll grade it. (midi's will do...)

story: 6/10: could have been a little longer, IMO, but still original...

execution of game: 5/10: the fact that there are four choises leading to five endings doesn't leave a lot of variability... (unlike the other games entered in NaNoRenO so far, which didn't hinge on whether you picked choise A or B)

overall: 5/10 (not too bad for a rushed effort, though...)

(NOW notices the "Mega-fan" title appened to his profile) when did I become a Mega-fan?
~Kitsune Zeta

Gloranor
Regular

#12 Post by Gloranor »

@Darkknight
Confusing? Where? *is now genuinely confused* ;-)
If you have the time, please tell me the details in the PM, so that I can look out for something like that in my next game (whenever that will be released, or even started).

@Zeta
Story: I agree, originally intended to make it much longer.
Execution: That goes hand in hand with the Story... if it had been much longer, there would have been more space for decisions (for example, decision 2 would've just influenced it, instead of detemined).
Again, expect something different next time

And you are a Mega-Fan because you Postcount is over 150 or 155, or something like that ;-)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#13 Post by mikey »

Well, if there just were the characters... because everything else is great. True, it's a shorter story, but no one expects NaNoRenO projects to be huge or complex, the point is you finished it, it has a point, a beginning, endings and ren'ai. So what's more to ask?

Actually, just the characters. Perhaps you could have asked someone to draw them for you, be it just one character with one pose, it would really help your project. I'd even suggest you try asking people here... insert the graphic and voila... :wink:

darkknight
Veteran

#14 Post by darkknight »

not worth pm-ing it is just in the beginning part.
-whirling around swords out or something like that...
-have no idea what a ranger is
-what is the battle of deer"something"

It is just stuff on my part i did not understand

Gloranor
Regular

#15 Post by Gloranor »

@darkknight

Ah, I see...
*makes note: try to avoid mentioning things that may require special knowledge without explaining them, in the readme or ingame*

1. You missed a comma there - it was whirl around, the swords already out their sheaths. Without a comma it doesn't make sense, yes.

2. That is the "special knowledge"-part. Anyone who played a few (western) Fantasy cRPGs, read some fantasy-books or has seen that *insert negative word here ;-)* LotR-movie has propapbly a general idea of it, and I thought that would encompass everyone... sorry!

There are several defintions for rangers, just as there are many versions of elves...
LotR: The rangers are the dúnedain of the north and a few of the south (Like the ones that Faramir commanded), who have elven blood and are exiles of Númenor. They protect the civilized realms (like teh shire, who doesn't even know that it is protected by them) and fight against the minions of Sauron. They tend to live most of their time in the wilderness, are expert trackers, friends of the elves.

DnD/FR: Rangers are protectors of the nature, fighting against orcs and other evil creatures who would destroy it, sometimes against evil humans as well. Most of them don't really like cities or even towns, but they can be counted upon when some evil enemy plans to atatck it, or when someone of a good alignment is attacked near them. They tend to be elves, halfelves and humans and can cast minor divine spells - ergo, they pray to their god(dess) once a day and then can heal someone a few times or something in that direction. Rangers can calm (and charm) animals, and tend to have very quick reflexes. They tend to fight with the bow or with two swords (and yes, that is possible - when some people at the SCA can do it, then fantasy characters can do it too) and only lightly armoured - leather or a chainshirt, most of the time. Again, they tend to be friend of elves (when not elves themself ;-)), live in the wilderness and are expert trackers. There are also evil rangers (since 3.0 came out..), but I won't discuss them, they have no relevance for the game, and I don't like them to boot! :roll: ;-)

The rangers in my world tend towards the DnD/FR ranger, but they can't cast divine spells... well... we'll see *g*.

3. Hm, I thought that was marked clearly as "part of the plot, just wait". Hm, dunno what I could do against that, to be honest.

Well, I will add notes when I do my other idea which requires special knowledge, where needed. :-D

@mikey
Hm, sounds like an idea *writes it down on his to-do list* Thanks