Der Totengräber (short VN in German)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Der Totengräber (short VN in German)

#1 Post by Der Tor »

Since i am not sure if i will ever find an artist for this really short piece, i am gonna release it as it is.
I also hope that it will get more attention this way and that i will eventually find an artist.

So since it doesn't have any art, i tried to make up for it with the music.
So considering it's short length - it's got a lot of music.

And as stated in the title, it's in german.

Win: http://www.no-neets.de/downloads/Der_Totengraeber.zip
Linux: http://www.no-neets.de/downloads/Der_To ... 86.tar.bz2
Mac: http://www.no-neets.de/downloads/Der_To ... er-mac.zip

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Der Totengräber (short VN in German)

#2 Post by DaFool »

...this puts me in a difficult position... I don't know if it's 'complete' or not.
Having music puts it one step above an IF entry. But it's not a visual novel without pictures, although it could work as a huge chunk of one.

If your aim is more exposure to recruit artists, you can post it in Gamemakers' subforum like the Foxtaile request. Note that Songs of Araiah was resurrected from the dead this way.

But if you think "ah, this may be it", then it would help if you can find some pictures at least to put it into your novel.

Of course I couldn't understand anything in it, my concern is only of a technical nature, that of if it fits 'complete' and 'visual novel'. Sorry if you had expected a more positive response of interest, I would help myself except I'm totally beat from the last project.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Wintermoon »

Nice story, but the
angel
ending felt a bit too abrupt.

I noticed one typo (or possibly OCR error): "ernsthaft" spelled as "emsthaft".

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Der Tor »

@ DaFool and Taleweaver: Yeah i will propably follow both of you guy's advise - but not now. What i might do is eventually make an english translation, as it is kinda hard to find an artist if the artist can't read the story (-: And than i will also expand the story and remove some of the music.

But than it will be a different project and a different story. So the way it is now it isn't perfect - but it IS finnished the way it is and if i improve on it in the future it will become something else.

@ Wintermoon: Yeah it is an OCR error :oops:
Thanks for pointing it out. If i continue on the project, than i will correct the error. But there is actually something which has bothered me more: The Typewriter font i used supports Umlauts like: ä, ö, ü But it DOESN'T support Umlauts like Ä, Ö, Ü, ß. So i had to write some words in lower case well knowing that they should be in upper case. And i had to write ss instead of ß throughout the game :(
So you don't happen to have a cool typewriter font that fully supports german charachters? 8)

Hudzon
Regular

#5 Post by Hudzon »

Der Tor: I've played your VN for a little bit and so far it seems quite intriguing. Since I need to do some translation work for my studies anyway, I would be quite happy to offer you my help and translate the novel from German into English.

If you're interested then send me a PM and we can discuss it in more detail!

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Der Tor »

@ Hudzon: Thank you very much for your offer. I wrote you a PM. Oh and i made a small update and fixed some little things like what Wintermoon pointed out.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Der Tor »

UPDATE

I updated the download files :!: :!: :!:

still no english translation, but i finally added images :mrgreen:

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Der Tor »

(i still had some problems with the file yesterday... but they should now be fixed. So if anybody tried to download it yesterday but it didn't work or it was still the old version - please try again now - it should have pictures now :- )

#9 Post by Guest »

So is this 'complete' or do you still have plans for this project?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

Minor quibble: the pictures do not take up all the screen real-estate, so you have situations like the attached picture.
Coming from a save screen, traces of the previous displayable remains unless you totally refresh the screen.
To fix this, either make sure the pictures take up all the screen space, else you would want to invoke 'scene black' after each transition.

You've got a nice atmospheric feel going on, by the way.
Attachments
screenshot0001.jpg

V2Blast
Regular

#11 Post by V2Blast »

I'm tempted to download this, since I know a decent bit of German (took it through middle and high school, but I might wait for a translation (if you didn't already have a volunteer, I might have done so myself :P).
Pie is delicious.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Der Tor »

Hudzon didn't get back to me, so right now there is still no english translation under the way. I still wanna do an english version though - but i can't do it alone - cause after all i am german - and i don't want the english version to show that. I don't want it to end up being in some weird Kraut-Engrisch :mrgreen:

So if someone could help me, that would be great. I am gonna make a new thread for the english version in the "works in progress & recruitment" section.

@ DaFool: Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know much about Ren'Py - i will try to fix it in future versions.

V2Blast
Regular

#13 Post by V2Blast »

Ah. Well then, I might consider volunteering, as long as I get it done before August 23rd or so (I'm not going to have time while I'm at college). Dunno how much of the German I'll know without looking up, though... In any case, I have something to get out of the way first.
Pie is delicious.

George Bush

#14 Post by George Bush »

Since the author never translated this visual novel in english i decided to do it.
It's not a particularly good translation but i think it's decent.
Attachments
der totengraeber english translation.zip
english translation (only for Windows)
(31.57 MiB) Downloaded 23 times