Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN]

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

WARNING: It is recommended that headphone users lower the volume!

(16+, disturbing sounds, implied blood and gore.)

Note: Will be updating in the future with remastered music to balance out the volume.

Download here

Summary

A pair of siblings, Jamison and Emilia, had been invited over for a double sleepover at their best friends' house. The parents go out on a date night, leaving Jamison and Victor in charge. It's only later that Emilia and Kirsten barge into the living room, crying that something tried to grab one of them. As proof, there was a large bruise wrapping around Emilia. Looking inside the bedroom, there was a distorted arm, slowly opening the window.

Characters

Emilia, Jamison's precious little sister. He can't help but be overprotective when it concerns her.

Kirsten, Victor's rambunctious little sister. Not afraid to step up to teenagers, but knows when she'll need help.

Victor, Jamison's best friend. They've known each other since elementary school, bonding over a bullying incident.

Our Team

Sunlit-Dreamer: Writer, Programmer, CG and GUI Artist
banannasquid: BG Artist
GhostCracker: Sprite Artist
D.ray: Composer, Audio Producer
ImageImageImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN]

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Sunlit Dreamer! :)

I was on a short flight recently and finally had some time to play a VN or 2 that have been sitting in my queue. The 1st one I tried out was this one! Unfortunately my laptop's earbud socket is broken so I had to play the game silently. But it was still pretty creepy at some points.
I enjoyed my time playing but I did have some questions, and some possible logic/loop holes I wanted to point out.

I liked the foreboding that was part of victor talking about the legend of skinwalkers, and at first I thought it'd be more closely tied to the mystery and reveal. The skinwalkers mimic their victims by wearing their skin, thus allowing them to perhaps attack others. (Victor though corrects James saying they actually only mimic animals). Alluding to Victor's fam (and Kirsten's ability to mimic Emilia after Emilia is absorbed into the painting) being a variant of "Skinwalker" who use paint/paintings.

- Why didn't Jamison call 911? They tried calling, I think Victor's parents, but gave up cause no one was answering.
- Shouldn't they have all just ran out of the house? Im assuming they lived in a surburban area and could've easily found help.
- why did they so readily try the use of salt as protection? It seemed out of the blue to me, and it didnt really tie into the story that the monster(s) were skinwalkers.
- There was several times where Jamison knocked a monster down to the ground but instead of killing it he...runs away?

Here's my biggest question. So we see that the various monsters are somehow the Satori's, and other families, so where do the monsters come from and why, what's their goal? I guess to aide Victor, Kirsten and fam to lure others to the basement painting? Emilia gets pushed into the painting meaning Kirsten can mimic her, so is it that anyone pushed into the painting becomes part of the monsters, and the core 4 "skinwalkers" of Victor, Kirsten and their parents get the ability to turn into those poor people? I think it would've been tighter to link the foreboding of the skinwalkers legend more and establish the "rules" of the evils or at least explain them...better? I liked the unhappy ending, and all around the premise was amazing and pretty savage. 8) but I think it would've done well to have the "rules" alluded to, the MC and reader have some understanding of winning by those rules, and then having hope taken away and losing anyways. *Crushing*
Anyways, I enjoyed it and felt compelled to write about it so that says alot! =D
ImageImage
ImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN]

#3 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

illuminate001 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:52 pm Hi Sunlit Dreamer! :)

I was on a short flight recently and finally had some time to play a VN or 2 that have been sitting in my queue. The 1st one I tried out was this one! Unfortunately my laptop's earbud socket is broken so I had to play the game silently. But it was still pretty creepy at some points.
I enjoyed my time playing but I did have some questions, and some possible logic/loop holes I wanted to point out.

I liked the foreboding that was part of victor talking about the legend of skinwalkers, and at first I thought it'd be more closely tied to the mystery and reveal. The skinwalkers mimic their victims by wearing their skin, thus allowing them to perhaps attack others. (Victor though corrects James saying they actually only mimic animals). Alluding to Victor's fam (and Kirsten's ability to mimic Emilia after Emilia is absorbed into the painting) being a variant of "Skinwalker" who use paint/paintings.

- Why didn't Jamison call 911? They tried calling, I think Victor's parents, but gave up cause no one was answering.
- Shouldn't they have all just ran out of the house? Im assuming they lived in a surburban area and could've easily found help.
- why did they so readily try the use of salt as protection? It seemed out of the blue to me, and it didnt really tie into the story that the monster(s) were skinwalkers.
- There was several times where Jamison knocked a monster down to the ground but instead of killing it he...runs away?

Here's my biggest question. So we see that the various monsters are somehow the Satori's, and other families, so where do the monsters come from and why, what's their goal? I guess to aide Victor, Kirsten and fam to lure others to the basement painting? Emilia gets pushed into the painting meaning Kirsten can mimic her, so is it that anyone pushed into the painting becomes part of the monsters, and the core 4 "skinwalkers" of Victor, Kirsten and their parents get the ability to turn into those poor people? I think it would've been tighter to link the foreboding of the skinwalkers legend more and establish the "rules" of the evils or at least explain them...better? I liked the unhappy ending, and all around the premise was amazing and pretty savage. 8) but I think it would've done well to have the "rules" alluded to, the MC and reader have some understanding of winning by those rules, and then having hope taken away and losing anyways. *Crushing*
Anyways, I enjoyed it and felt compelled to write about it so that says alot! =D
Sure wasn't expecting your post today. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.
With them being horror fans, they already knew "monsters are attacking us" would make them sound crazy. (Plus Victor would've stopped Jamison if he tried.)

As kids, we're taught that being inside the house always safest. It's ingrained into us. (That and I write with my team members in mind. BGs take a LOT of work.)

Kirsten spouting something she saw from a movie. (Hocus Pocus for example.) That and I wanted to give them something to do. And in the end, the salt didn't work. =P

He thought he killed it, but forgot the double tap rule. (But yes another scene that could be better.)

The other monsters had run out of time and were simply targeting "easy prey". With the parents gone, they thought they'd be able to overwhelm Victor and Kirsten to take Jamison and Emilia. Each family usually "marks" their next possible vessels. Victor's family however, is more subtle and sneaky about it. Which is why the rumor is about 1 family disappearing each year. As for the canvas, it isn't described in the story, but it leeches out the blood as they're pushed inside. (I can see various ways to improve the story now haha. I tried not to "exposition" the rules so much this time around, like I did with The Doll and the Spider.)
There is plenty of areas where it could be improved, but creating it did help me find them after the fact.

Glad you were able to enjoy it~ And I shall do my best to keep improving myself in future projects!
ImageImageImageImage