Heiress II (NaNoRenO 2009)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Heiress II (NaNoRenO 2009)

#1 Post by mikey »

Hi everyone,

Well, I knew it was going to be close, to the very last hour, actually 20 minutes before the deadline... but it's done.

It's the second NaNoRenO 2009 game from ATP Projects.

"Heiress II"

Information and screenshots:
http://atp.manga.sk/pages/hi2.htm

Enjoy!
And I'll write up something more once the adrenaline goes away.

Thank you Ren, thank you lordcloudx, and special thanks to Kikered!
Attachments

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by mikey on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ren

Re: Heiress II (NaNoRenO 2009)

#2 Post by Ren »

Not downloaded yet? Oooooh!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Dammit Ren, look at Cen's lips! Totally devastating! :oops:
Lordcloudx's lineless style, is it recent? The BGs mesh really well.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#4 Post by Watercolorheart »

Absolutely beautiful, can't wait to play this one.
I'm not even the same person anymore

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#5 Post by DrakeNavarone »

How much more fortunate can we get, seeing two mikey games in one nano...? I know! Why not have Sensei do the art for one!!! Simply amazing, really. When I heard about Sensei working on a game ( by ATP no less ), I was thrilled and now I can say it wasn't without good reason. I was not disappointed at all. Masterful work as always, mikey, but Sensei...!!! Sensei!!! No matter how you will try to downplay it, the art in this piece is... is... uhm... well, it's really good, okay! Despite what you'll say otherwise!!! You won't change my mind!
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

Oh! You made it, mikey. Hehe! This is my first time going through this as well...

DaFool: These are recent bgs, but it's the same style I used for Real Life. It saves time. Mikey's edits made em look significantly better than the originals.

(also, I just had to post after Drakey :D)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Wintermoon »

Got the good ending on the first try. Liked the premise.
Didn't like how the good ending basically negated the premise.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

got the good ending too.
Hmm... a kiss breaks the curse? (or poison in this case :P) Hehe!

Anywayz, I have kinda mixed feelings about this. While I think the journey towards the ending was very atmospheric and realistic, (mikey seems to know a lot about airships based on this game and when we were talkin about the backgrounds) I'm gonna say that I don't really like the good ending (and I'm assuming this is the intended ending... but I'll give the game another spin just to be sure) It's nice that Cen lives on and all, but I really wanted to see something more, some kind of definite closure (not that I'm saying the good end is unfinished) based on the sequence of events leading to the ending. A more comprehensive denouement of sorts...

However, that's just my opinion and having worked with Mikey before, I kinda understand why he doesn't use a tell-all approach in his stories, leaving some things to the player's imagination, and apart from the ending, I think this was a nice VN. Just that I always want something more. (especially from Mikey's stories actually.) There's always this feel-good ambience about em when you reach a good end, but I'm the type of person who wants it to be "feel-excellent." but then... that's not what Mikey was aiming for in this VN, I think
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

Thank you everyone for playing the game!
If you download the game now, there is hopefully a small fullscreen fix and something else as well.

Anyway, the ending, it's actually somewhat complicated, but hopefully I can explain:
The fact is, if you play the "best" way (the way I intended and consider best, at least), you will get the bad ending. Specifically if you decide not to kiss Cen (which in fact is the true choice, since she wants you to give her a kiss like being in love, but you cannot yet be in love with her that much for that kiss to feel like that), Cen dies.

And since not kissing Cen will get you the bad ending regardless of your choices before (even if you chose perfectly before), this in turn means that if you play "the best", or do the "true" things, you cannot save her and the bad ending is the true ending.

You can only save her by kissing her - so the good ending was "merely" my way of making it all right again, since that kiss, had you kissed her, would be inappropriate (you don't love her) - yet because she lives and you are together and in love, in retrospect, it is implied that you are forgiven for that moment of weakness by Cen. So, this is the explanation to that.
I don't know what "closure" of the story would mean, but
the bad ending
has, at least for me, all the finality that I'd want to tell. It doesn't matter what happened later, all that matters is what happened on the airship.

But yes, if I think about it, there are some things that are not explained in detail, and many topics come up, but they are not there to make you interested, merely to create the setting - and I guess the way to play the game is best if people don't look for questions or answers, just go with what feels right. Well, I don't know how to say that, but playing instinctively instead of logically, perhaps. What understand however is that it's not made obvious what to expect, so I suppose everyone comes in with different expectations. :?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

Well, I've seen both endings now and I should clarify what I said as well. What I meant by "closure" applies to both endings for me, actually. What I specifically would've liked to see is just a few more sappy words added. For example: "... because she belongs to the skies (looks at Heiress II)" etc. etc.

I'd also like to make it clear that this is a purely personal preference on my part.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

lordcloudx wrote:For example: "... because she belongs to the skies (looks at Heiress II)" etc. etc.
But... you must know me well enough to know I would never do that... It's exactly those things that I know you like but I cannot write... :P

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by lordcloudx »

mikey: Yes, I know. Hehehe... but your stories always seem to lend themselves well to that sorta stuff IMHO. That said, I didn't dislike the game at all as much as my first review post might sound like it.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

Another true mikey game, definitely. A surprising, shocking premise, a very engrossing (if somewhat short) plot and two endings that stand beside one another and none looks more "real" than the other.

Definitely good stuff.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

herenvardo
Veteran

#14 Post by herenvardo »

First of all, congratulations for finishing it on time!
I've vowed to not play anything until I finish my own project, otherwise I'll never complete it; but I have bookmarked this thread to make sure I'll try it... I'll comment then about the game

On a side note:
mikey wrote:Information and screenshots:
http://atp.manga.sk/pages/hi2.htmhttp:/ ... /index.php
that link yields a ugly 404; maybe did you paste too much on it? I tried to remove from the second "http:" onwards from the address bar and reached the page. However, not everybody is used to reach the other end of broken links; and the fact that the boards cut it with some ... in the middle may add up to the confusion of a 404 message. I'd suggest you to edit the post and fix it, so people wanting to reach the project's page will be able to ;).
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#15 Post by usul »

The link above gives me a 404 and what, no linux version available?!?
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller