Catgirl Panic! -- Kuroi Game NaNoRenO 2009

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kuroi
Regular

Catgirl Panic! -- Kuroi Game NaNoRenO 2009

#1 Post by kuroi »

For NaNoRenO, Kuroi Games decided to make a game to make fun of ourselves.

Plot:
The staff of Kuroi Games usually has a lot on their hands: hectic deadlines, programming glitches, an insane boss... Little do they know that they should have left a little more time in the development schedule to deal with an alien invasion.
Ready or not, they are soon swept up in the invasion plans of an alien cat-girl army. Join the Kuroi Games crew as they face down invading aliens, angry penguins, and still try to get their game out on time!

Version Plans:
Free version - This version is for Kuroi Games very first year doing NaNoRenO and we're working hard to not only give you guys a great game.
Released date: Done with 3 min to spare~

Director's cut (Paid version) - Everything you loved about Catgirl Panic! Free Version and much, much more. The Director's cut will be more than twice the length of the free version plus a whole bunch of extras. That means double the script, double the choices, double the insanity!
Released date: End of April

Adult edition (Paid version) - A special edition for all the hentai lovers out there. This is the edition where Kuroi Games does what we do best. The Adult edition has everything included in the director's cut plus all the hot hentai action that you know you've been wanting.
Released date: End of April

Download Link: Temperarily down for reduction of fail... Back up later today.
Last edited by kuroi on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
President, Planner, and Programmer for Kuroi Games!

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Catgirl Panic! -- Kuroi Game NaNoRenO 2009

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

And that's called waiting until the very last second to finish.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

I don't know... this looks unfinished. There's pieces of BG art missing, the voice acting - though great in itself - is incomplete, and I don't think you can call the end an ending. Is there more to come?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

kuroi
Regular

#4 Post by kuroi »

lol yeah. I kinda ran out of debugging time before the nanoreno deadline and between me misnumbering the entire set of voice files and breaking ending part... it kind of needed that. I'm taking it down for a sec to debug. It should be up again later today.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#5 Post by DrakeNavarone »

D-Definitely not to my tastes, to be honest. And I definitely agree with Taleweaver about it looking rather sloppily pasted together. Not just the programming of it though, the script ( which I realize is supposed to be intentionally absurd ), just seemed to have been made in a real hurry, with absolutely no direction, even if that direction should have been absurdity. And I have to say I was thrown off by the sudden stop of the voice acting. Hopefully these are some things that will be corrected for the newer version as well as the pay-to-play releases.

I'm not without my biases though. You did lose points instantly for an obvious self-insertion story, which I'm not much a fan of. So I wouldn't take everything I say here too harshly... I am acting on a bit of a prejudice. Still, this isn't something I could readily recommend to any of my friends, even those with senses of humor more aligned with this game.

I really honestly do hope that the issues do get cleaned up and soon... but I probably won't brave reliving the experience... *shudders*
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#6 Post by Hime »

I don't usually use these lists... But... This once, I just have to be blunt about things.

The good:
- Nanoreno, yay! Grats for being able to complete!
- ML-E's sprite was kind of cute

The bad, in spoiler tags due to... bluntness and scary things:
- The self-insertation thing kind of creeped me out... especially thinking that this might become a hentai game. I find fictional charas important because you can relate to them, so this to me looks more like a game made in order to satisfy self rather than to tell a story or please the audience. All the more when you think that (I think? at least you didn't credit any separate voice actors) the people the charas are based on are voicing and it'll be a hentai game
- The characters seemed extremely shallow and insensitive. I hope this is due to faults in the writing
- The dialogue + the story barely made much sense at any time, but did not make me smile let alone laugh in return. What is this supposed to be? Drama, comedy, what? It just didn't quite entertain me in any way
- The man's nipples were scary, I had to cover the upper part of the screen with my hand half the time ;_; *brr*
Due to the previously mentioned faults and aspects, not my slice of cheesecake... I bet some people can enjoy it, but the things I mentioned just ruined it for me and I had to force myself to get through it in the end. I really didn't want to write this in a way, but I guess customer feedback should be important to you as a commercial group... and since both I and drakey felt the same away about this product, I think you should take the critique to consideration, seriously, even if some of it is just personal opinions/biases. :/

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

It's their first Nanoreno experience, don't spoil it too much. There's enough adrenaline to go around.
*Pats back.
Well I haven't seen anything, yet, so...
3D Poser, maybe?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

Ehehe.... when I finished this, all that was on my mind was "lolwhut?"
Ok, first a girl wakes you up, and you talk for a bit, then the scene suddenly shifts to this living room of sorts and it seems like everyone is trying to make a story? And then there's this hot-looking brunette on-screen and she's actually Kuroi? (who is a he) Which I didn't realize until I was about 60% through the game. I just thought she was a really silent female character who follows everyone around.

Honestly, the models and the semi-animated transitions are the only redeeming factors for this game IMHO. I'd add the one voiced character, but that gets cut off prematurely that it'd have been better to just leave it all out.

Poorly constructed plot, random inappropriately timed allusions to who-knows-what, technical errors, spelling errors everywhere that I'm not even sure if they're intentional or not anymore, and the game just basically doesn't know what it wants to be. A comedy? A parody? A sci-fi drama? From the experience I got with my playthrough, it was just plain chaos.

I realize that you explain the premise of the story in your post, but there's nothing to indicate that in the actual game. Not everyone reads the intro post and I have to say that judging from the game itself, the way it's presented, it was just confusing.
Treat the above comments as personal opinion; my honest appraisal from the initial playthrough
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

kuroi
Regular

#9 Post by kuroi »

Thanks a ton for all the feedback.
lol Looks like I definately jumped the gun on releasing while there were so many problems... I can only blame it on lack of sleep and a moment of temperary retardation. I hope everyone will give the game another chance in a little bit when I post an updated version. (In which I hope to address everyone's issues) Thanks for the feedback

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

kuroi wrote: Download Link: Temperarily down for reduction of fail... Back up later today.
Any eta for this one? I'd like to see it.

And from what I've seen from the initial version, so it doesn't fit this community's tastes, but it does have a feel that you can get into the mood for. Better than some parodies out there.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

With the proper mindset, this game was actually quite enjoyable. (In the so bad it's good kind of way).

I hope Kuroi and team comes back to this thread since I have this dilemma:

1.) List this game, and then bask in notoriety (in chats, Catgirl Panic! is actually becoming one of the most infamous -- if not the most infamous -- Ren'Py game.) That is actually a feat.

2.) Don't list this game, and let the thread be buried eventually, as befits something its creators would rather sweep under a rug.

I would want to respect the creators' wishes regarding the fate of this game.

kuroi
Regular

#12 Post by kuroi »

Hey guys~ This is just a quick message to let you all know that work on the revised catgirl panic is still going on. It's been a long process, mostly due to it being finals time down where our members live and some of Kuroi Games members are still in college.

After taking all the criticism to heart, we've made lots of changes. So I think that when it comes out, I'll create a new thread for the game and delete this one. The game is just too different from what it was before.

Thanks again and I hope everyone enjoys the game when we finish it~