College Romance II - Rise of the Little Brother

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

College Romance II - Rise of the Little Brother

#1 Post by EwanG »

Well, it's finally here. Really. I'm not fooling you... Yes, I know what day it is, but we really and truly have released CR II - Rise of the Little Brother.

Don't believe me? Check out this page:
http://www.tycoongames.eu/adventures/collegeromance.php

Demo is immediately available for Mac, PC, and Linux. Full game is available for purchase ($14.99) at the same page.

Oh, and be prepared for a little surprise with Carla and Becky from CR I in a few weeks!

Video of a bit of the game at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm371_hzBRw

And just for Jake - the default name is now Jack (would have used Jake, but that would have been presumptuous).

Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement to keep going, the programming hints and tips, and especially PyTom for the RenPy engine!
Working on something... might even be something good :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: College Romance II - Rise of the Little Brother

#2 Post by DaFool »

Congratulations! :D Yeah, I honestly thought it wouldn't be out for a couple of months (like Science Girls, the other LSF member + established indie dev coproduction) at least.
(Man, my backlog keeps growing... but that's a good thing.)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Congrats!
Oh, and the main menu looks amazing, who is the artist who did that?!? :lol:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by EwanG »

jack_norton wrote:Congrats!
Oh, and the main menu looks amazing, who is the artist who did that?!? :lol:
I believe you know him. Great guy, fun to be with, very handsome... think his initials are JN... :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

Just a quick question... since this game is now commercial, do you want to downplay the "II" and emphasize it being standalone? I.e. just call it College Romance - Rise of the Little Brother? I mean it's a big leap over the first one (sans voice acting). I mean, it's "II" in these forums because we're aware of the first, but in the main game it can be part of a series, not necessarily a sequel.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by EwanG »

In the game itself, and other places besides here that the info is posted, I never add the II. But I guess around here I figure it's like talking with family (yes, I've considered trying to figure out what our family album would look like, but I suspect Mugen is doing something along that line even as we speak), and so want to make sure there's no local confusion.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

One thing I noticed is that the game uses those Japanese backgrounds, is it okay to charge for a game which uses it? It may be that they are from multiple websites, too... And this is not meant in a bad way, just that whether everything is fine copyright-wise, since those things have a habit of being available just for freeware use. :?

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by EwanG »

All of the backgrounds are from purchased DLSite packs, or with permission. Now, whether they are also posted in places they aren't supposed to be...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

At least that road in one of the screens is here:
http://shass.sakura.ne.jp/html/sozai/old/main.htm
And I think also the tree is there as well:
http://shass.sakura.ne.jp/html/sozai/old/main3.htm

But perhaps you can indeed "purchase" them, meaning get a license to use them in commercial works via dlsite.

The thing that it does however, especially since the BGs are well known and in many games, see here for the road in sarahred.jpg, the second to last picture on the CR site):
http://www.insani.org/atsummersend.html
And also here:
http://yandere.gray7.com/?page_id=50

... is that it makes them significantly less unique and of course I saw that BG first somewhere else, so it doesn't associate CR that much.

Well, just a thought. I do believe however that for the overwhelming majority of buyers, this will not be anything they've seen before, so practically this should have very little impact.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by EwanG »

As I read the Terms of Service from Shass
(Google Translate is http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ura.ne.jp/ if you want to check for yourself, Terms of Service link is on the upper left of the page):

Basically they don't want you linking live to the images, they don't want you using in 18+ material, and they don't want you claiming you own the copyright. Other than that, usage in any product where you're not just selling the images themselves is fine. They also explicitly say it's ok to filter or alter the images (which I had to do since CR II is 800x600), and you don't have to add a copyright statement to their images.

Seriously, I did spend some time looking into this before usage. That's why I also checked on the music, and we got a paid artist for the character art.

Hopefully that reassures folks enough that someone might want to actually play the game and review it? :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

Agh, as I was trying to say very clearly in my previous post ("not meant in a bad way"), I didn't mean to imply you didn't check, but just to be reassured, like a mom always tells you to be careful ^_^.

My real objection is really just that those well-known and freely available backgrounds (and looking at the pictures there is a lot of them) give the game less of an original feel, and I'd even go so far as to say it's a pity they are not original. Even if they were less detailed, for me personally this would have been a better way. Again, I will say that to the majority of people and especially customers this will not be an issue, because they will not know them from elsewhere.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by EwanG »

mikey wrote:Agh, as I was trying to say very clearly in my previous post ("not meant in a bad way"), I didn't mean to imply you didn't check, but just to be reassured, like a mom always tells you to be careful ^_^.

My real objection is really just that those well-known and freely available backgrounds (and looking at the pictures there is a lot of them) give the game less of an original feel, and I'd even go so far as to say it's a pity they are not original. Even if they were less detailed, for me personally this would have been a better way. Again, I will say that to the majority of people and especially customers this will not be an issue, because they will not know them from elsewhere.
Sorry. I took what you were saying slightly differently, and I apologize.

Yes, it would have been ideal to go with original backgrounds for this as well, and all the other games I'm working on either are limited edition DLSite packs, or are 3D backgrounds, or are filtered photographs. However, since this is "a bit" of a sequel I figured I had to have some continuity. Though that was a rule I put on myself, and possibly less important to other folks than it was to me.

Oh well, live and learn, right?

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by EwanG »

Shameless plug request - If you're on Digg or Reddit, and you wouldn't mind helping to get out the word about the game, please consider "voting" up on one or both of the following:

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comm ... wincest_a/

http://digg.com/pc_games/What_do_you_ca ... ther_girls#

Thanks for your assistance! :D

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#14 Post by Jo'ogn »

EwanG wrote:Video of a bit of the game at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm371_hzBRw
the default name is now Jack
Ah, the character art does look familiar ^_^

BTW in the video I noticed that the dialogue window changes size. Is this intentionally?
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by EwanG »

Jo'ogn wrote:Ah, the character art does look familiar ^_^
Yup. Jack's artist did the work on this.
BTW in the video I noticed that the dialogue window changes size. Is this intentionally?
Yes. The idea is to let you see as much of the graphics as possible at each frame.