'autumn' [Czech AnimeFest 2009]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nya-chan Production
Regular
Projects: autumn, Identityless

'autumn' [Czech AnimeFest 2009]

#1 Post by Nya-chan Production »

For the start, I have to warn you - this game is Czech only... for now :twisted:

'autumn' by Astra9
(written and almost completely made by Nya-chan Production)
Title screen of 'autumn'
Title screen of 'autumn'
Meet our hero, Takkun. He's just moved into the middle of nowhere. It's early autumn, and he goes out on a friday. He has yet to know that this weekend might change his life forever.
A screenshot from the actual game - yep, I like it simple.
A screenshot from the actual game - yep, I like it simple.
'autumn' (the title has small 'a' intentionally) is a typical VN story. It uses high quality unaltered photos as a non-perspective BG (it should be only helping the player grasp where the story takes place and more than being accurate to the sprite, it should go with the feel and main colour theme - and possibly please player's eyes) and is highly customized - it's pretty much unrecognizable that it was made in Ren'Py (of course, if you know typical layout of the Preferences and stuff, you'll prolly recognize it anyways ;+).
The story feels light-hearted in the start, but over time gets more dramatic no matter which way you choose - life is about drama anyways. Sometimes the drama comes fairly abruptly, but what can one write in 14 days~
The game itself is not voiced (1 - I don't have equipment for that, 2 - I am strictly against non-Japanese voicing (I just like Japanese voicing that much), but has some sounds and includes music.
The three heroines of 'autumn'.<br />Can't really see them, can you?
The three heroines of 'autumn'.
Can't really see them, can you?
In the story, you meet three girls, each with three endings and many smaller lines along the way which may be altered by your previous meetings and choices (it was hell to remember it all, believe me, since I didn't go for the standard "you get on her route - you get her endings" way - well, at least not untill the later parts of the game - but instead tried to make it more... interesting). Which girls you meet and which endings you get is up to you, though I tried to put some slight hints in the texts, so it shouldn't be THAT hard to get a good end.
If you are familiar with the community, you might notice that I used Deji's sprites - seriously, they were awesome to work with, easy to alter (I traced some new clothing :> ) and I tried to explain the simmilarity between the girls as well. The main theme and story of the game was based on these sprites and their easy customization after my character graphic dropped and I had been left with 18 days till deadline. So in this case, I'd say it's not sprites fitting to the story - it's the story fitting to the sprites ;D

Lastly, I'd like to note, that for the English release, where I won't have any deadlines, I'll try and improve the game - the sounds and music at the moment are a little rough, some dramatic twists seemed a little too abrupt to me and I could use with some more graphics and making more sprites for facial expressions (there's around 50 bgs and 80 sprites in the current version). And also I found a person who promised me to make a promo M@D style video for it, which might get included in the game :>

Well... if you are Czech, I hope you enjoy it. If not - I hope you'll be looking forward to the English release ;x

And as a bonus, have about the half of Lint notes I put down ^^

Code: Select all

#podzim
#Story and coding by Nya-chan Production
#Start morning 14/3 2009

#Lint 18/3 morning:
#The game contains 1582 screens of dialogue.
#These screens contain a total of 10133 words.
#Guessing 35-40% of story complete.

#Lint 23/3 morning:
#The game contains 2365 screens of dialogue.
#These screens contain a total of 15173 words.
#Gallery base complete
#Guessing 60% complete.

#Lint 30/3 morning:
#The game contains 3339 screens of dialogue.
#These screens contain a total of 21169 words.
#Guessing 85% complete

#Lint 1/4 evening (deadline):
#The game contains 4028 screens of dialogue.
#These screens contain a total of 25309 words,
#for an average of 6.3 words per screen.
#The game contains 25 menus.
#Dekitaaaaaaaaaa!!! \o/
Last edited by Nya-chan Production on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on: Identityless
HOW DO I INPUT THIS GODDAMN THING I WANT IN MY GAME TO IT?
WHY ARE THE CHARACTER ARTISTS SO LAZY?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: 'autumn' [Czech AnimeFest 2009]

#2 Post by DaFool »

Thanks for the English writeup! Really helps those who may anticipate it in English.

By the way, is this AnimeFest thing sort of like Nanoreno in that you have to complete it within a month?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:By the way, is this AnimeFest thing sort of like Nanoreno in that you have to complete it within a month?
This was a competition, to create a game, started I think November 2008, and the participants had to make a game until April 1st. Animefest is a convention and the official website is running anime- and Animefest-related competitions throughout the year.

(site says):

Criteria were:
- elements of manga or anime (this is a logical requirement, since it's Animefest, so it's not a visual novel making contest in general)
- suitable for children 13 years or older, no hentai
- either in Czech or Slovak, further languages welcome
- stating that the game was made for Animefest 2009
- full credits, and the game maker must have a valid license for all assets (so that it can then be freely distributed)
- teams are 1-5 persons max, testers aren't counted

Until February 1st, the teams had to officially sign up, and then deliver the game until April 1st.

The games will be judged by a panel of judges ("judges' vote") composed of people knowledgeable of the genre and professional game reviewers, and they will select up to 3 best games.

A PSP for the winner, alongside minor other gaming gifts or animefest memorabilia.

The games will also be available to the public, for voting, "public vote".

Kota

#4 Post by Kota »

Oh god, I better get my ass in gear if you've already finished one, Wolfii.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by mikey »

Nooooo!
Just when I got Aka's good end, the game crashed!

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Exception: Couldn't find file 'gr/bg/Cerven_schody'.

While running game code:
 - script at line 817 of C:\Hry\renpy-6.8.1\podzim/game/aka_end.rpy

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 247, in bootstrap
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\main.py", line 309, in main
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\ast.py", line 343, in execute
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\exports.py", line 496, in say
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\character.py", line 544, in __call__
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\character.py", line 503, in do_display
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\character.py", line 318, in display_say
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\ui.py", line 58, in interact
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 1327, in interact
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 1470, in interact_core
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 242, in predict
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 216, in visit_all
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 242, in <lambda>
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\im.py", line 428, in predict_one
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\im.py", line 188, in get
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\im.py", line 457, in load
  File "c:\podzim_1.00\renpy\loader.py", line 308, in load
Exception: Couldn't find file 'gr/bg/Cerven_schody'.

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.8.1a
Anyway... I'll give some thoughts:

I loved the funny lines, I liked the fact that the various paths meant varying textbox color and the menu customization was beautiful (though just maybe the colors of the textbox were a bit too bright, I finished playing and went to have a glass of water and there was a blue rectangle I saw floating in front of me for a while ^_^). The story was nice, too - not really that much I would add to it - the teen protagonist, the mysterious girls, a bit funny, a bit serious - seems to work everytime. In the end, it was more funny than anything, many things I enjoyed there ;) and the menu design and the writing were absolutely great.

It would be a really nice game - nothing complicated, but who wants that anyway. I enjoy games like this a lot... But to be honest, the graphics really take everything down - for two reasons. First, whenever there is a sprite, it doesn't fit into the perspective of the background (photo), and second, the photos don't have any consistency to them - one room in the house is a log cabin and the next one is a luxury apartment. One second there is a bamboo forest, the other a leafy autumn hill. It's really a huge amount of work to get into any sort of consistent atmosphere, and it hurts the overall presentation a lot.

This is a really nice game, but my suggestion would have been to drastically reduce the backgrounds, select only ones that have the correct perspective (or not show a sprite over them) and have a consistent theme - best taking them yourself (though it's spring now, unfortunately).

The game still works as far as atmosphere goes, once you read it long enough, but I just think that a better use of backgrounds would turn this into something much more accessible.

Nya-chan Production
Regular

#6 Post by Nya-chan Production »

mikey wrote:Nooooo!
Just when I got Aka's good end, the game crashed!
Oh dayumn... Couldn't find file, I wonder why is that... I could swear the file was there and this isn't the "not specified" statement. But yeah, Aka's end was rushed the most D:

EDIT: CRAP! D: Cerven_schody... only! Without extension!
*headdesks and fixes*

As for the other notes - yep, the interiors are heavily disproportioned (same with the other house) - I'll fix this in the second version.

As for the perspective - this game has the backgrounds only as an expressive object, not the "actual" backgrounds, so perspective is really out of question.
And there "is" a consistent theme in the backgrounds (or at least I tried to have one there) - and that are the colours on the roads. Some could use improving and I'll search (or take) some more pics for the next release. Especially the grass on Yukine's end bugs me, as it is yellow (fitting more to the global theme) instead of blue (for Yukine's path).

Thanks for all of your notes, though, they are pretty useful as to what the people expect and what I should warn them about before they actually play the game itself ^^

*goes to fix the background pic and maybe reupload*

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by mikey »

Nya-chan Production wrote:As for the perspective - this game has the backgrounds only as an expressive object, not the "actual" backgrounds, so perspective is really out of question.
Nya-chan Production wrote:Thanks for all of your notes, though, they are pretty useful as to what the people expect and what I should warn them about before they actually play the game itself ^^
I think if you just formulate that idea with the BGs being a sort of an abstract impressionist type rather than representing the actual first-person situation, that may be enough for people to tune in to the concept - also perhaps show even more screenshots on the potential game's page to set people's expectations in the right direction - and then I think people will be easier able to enjoy it in the intended way.

Nya-chan Production
Regular

#8 Post by Nya-chan Production »

I see. Yeah, it's mainly my fault for not stating that *adds to description* and for not wanting to show any of the girls before the actual play. (muhehe :> )

Also, uploading 1.01 version at the moment. Hope I can finish the upload and you can finish your Aka route O: (Hmmm, I should apologize about having to redownload 100MB... but it's not easy uploading them as well ;___; Ah, no final version betatests show up~ )

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Exception: Couldn't find file 'gr/yukine/yk_csmile.png'.

While running game code:
 - script at line 216 of C:\Hry\renpy-6.8.1\podzim/game/yukine_end.rpy

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 247, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\main.py", line 309, in main
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\ast.py", line 861, in execute
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\exports.py", line 663, in with_statement
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 1175, in do_with
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 1327, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 1470, in interact_core
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 242, in predict
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 216, in visit_all
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\core.py", line 242, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\im.py", line 428, in predict_one
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\im.py", line 188, in get
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\display\im.py", line 457, in load
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\English Locale\My Documents\Installation Files\PLAYTHIS\PODZIM\podzim_1.00\renpy\loader.py", line 308, in load
Exception: Couldn't find file 'gr/yukine/yk_csmile.png'.

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.8.1a
Some of the best photography I have ever seen. Also, love how the girls are color-coded ^_^.

Cynebeald
Regular
Projects: Enmaku

#10 Post by Cynebeald »

Nya-chan Production wrote:I see. Yeah, it's mainly my fault for not stating that *adds to description* and for not wanting to show any of the girls before the actual play. (muhehe :> )

Also, uploading 1.01 version at the moment. Hope I can finish the upload and you can finish your Aka route O: (Hmmm, I should apologize about having to redownload 100MB... but it's not easy uploading them as well ;___; Ah, no final version betatests show up~ )
Shouldn't it be sufficient to just distribute the fixed .rpyc files, for those who already have all data files?

Nya-chan Production
Regular

#11 Post by Nya-chan Production »

Cynebeald wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:I see. Yeah, it's mainly my fault for not stating that *adds to description* and for not wanting to show any of the girls before the actual play. (muhehe :> )

Shouldn't it be sufficient to just distribute the fixed .rpyc files, for those who already have all data files?
Oh, nice idea ^^
I've already updated to 1.02 (replayed almöst all the paths and found few sound bugs, three crash spots due to the bad script and fixed one sprite... and added very basic ReadMe), so for this one, I'll upload only the essential parts... it'll have about half of it, because it includes data pack, sadly.