MorningStar Zwei (NaNo 2009 late release) v1.2

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chunderbunny
Regular
Projects: SSS:Renaissance, Canadense (WIP)

Re: MorningStar Zwei (NaNo 2009 late release)

#16 Post by chunderbunny »

Taleweaver wrote:I also have a load of issues not unlike the ones mentioned above that take away a large chunk of the fun I could be having with MorningStar Zwei. Version 1.1, please.
Sounds like a plan. Fice has already got code for the text speed thing, plus we have fixed a few bugs so there might be a 1.1 sometime this week.

I would also like to have an installer that checks for the correct version of .net (On Windows anyway) and will fetch the parts you need. Packaging the game with a .net installer is possible, but adds about 200MB to the download (and we don't need everything in the installer). This should smooth the installation on Windows considerably, hopefully it will be done this month sometime.

Jake
Support Hero

#17 Post by Jake »

chunderbunny wrote: I would also like to have an installer that checks for the correct version of .net (On Windows anyway) and will fetch the parts you need.
I'm pretty sure I pointed Fice at a script for one of the installer packagers which did just this about three months ago, as it goes... I can probably still find it if you guys want it?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#18 Post by Der Tor »

doesn't work with me neither... of course i could propably play it on my Linux machine - but i wanna play it on stupid windoof :cry:

ficedula
Regular

#19 Post by ficedula »

It'd help to have a bit more information.

What happens when you try to run the game? Does nothing happen? Does it crash? Do you get the configuration screen asking whether to run in full-screen or not?

Have you tried installing .NET 3.5 from the link in the first post?

Do you have the latest download (we updated the download after the initial release to include some extra libraries)?

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#20 Post by Der Tor »

Nothing happens. And i have Net. But i didn't install the version you have for download. I installed the version earlier but it is 3.5

ficedula
Regular

#21 Post by ficedula »

Are you trying to run it from a network drive? Sometimes the security restrictions in Windows limit what programs can be launched from a network drive.

I don't understand what you mean about the download - when did you download the game? If it was when we released it, try downloading it again - we updated it to v1.02 over the weekend.

chunderbunny
Regular

Re: MorningStar Zwei (NaNo 2009 late release) v1.1

#22 Post by chunderbunny »

Updated to Version 1.1.

This fixes /most/ bugs that we know about. There is a new installer for Windows which will check if you have the right version of .net installed if you are using Windows XP SP3 or later. Also options to change the text speed are added, and we fixed a few other miscellaneous bugs.

elmedir

#23 Post by elmedir »

Version 1.1.

Right after Sakaki wakes me up the first day and the road to school is shown the game crashes back to the desktop. I don't get any error messages though. This happens on both easy and normal mode.

chunderbunny
Regular

#24 Post by chunderbunny »

elmedir wrote:Version 1.1.

Right after Sakaki wakes me up the first day and the road to school is shown the game crashes back to the desktop. I don't get any error messages though. This happens on both easy and normal mode.
Hm, this is unusual. What Operating System are you using?

Fang-tan
Regular

#25 Post by Fang-tan »

I haven't played yet, is this related to Mai Otome in some way? O: Cause that would be awesome.
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)

ficedula
Regular

#26 Post by ficedula »

Not specifically ... the original MorningStar game was, um, partially "inspired by" certain elements of Mai-Otome, so since we were whipping up a sequel, it kind of made sense to call it MorningStar Zwei. So you might recognise one or two things in the game from the series, but it's not a Mai-Otome fangame.

Ivlivs
Veteran

#27 Post by Ivlivs »

I was able to play it just fine. It's pretty nice, though the story seemed a bit cliche. I especially liked how Kagome flirted with some of the other girls.

I got:
Ending 8.
Good job, fice.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

ficedula
Regular

#28 Post by ficedula »

Thank you!

It turns out that committing to write twice as much as in previous NaNo's in the same period of time, while still doing the programming, is a recipe for an unpolished script ... so yeah, the story isn't the best thing ever.

OTOH, since we released late, we did put in a bonus path that I think is a bit better than the main story (if only for having been written under less time pressure... ;) ) although you do have to be nuts enough to complete the game a couple of times (i.e. unlock a few different endings) in order to unlock it.

elmedir

#29 Post by elmedir »

chunderbunny wrote:
elmedir wrote:Version 1.1.

Hm, this is unusual. What Operating System are you using?
I had the same problem with version 1.02 except the crash would happen right before I got to pick my second lesson of the first day.

Windows XP but I'm not certain if it had service pack 2 or 3 since it wasn't my computer.

(Could it be that I should have simply been patient instead of trying to play the game in a net cafe?! :oops: - ducks from possible incoming tomatoes)

I'll try it again at home tonight.

elmedir

#30 Post by elmedir »

It didn't work. I'm using Windows XP service pack 3.
I don't know if this makes any difference but I don't have an internet connection. :cry: Whenever I need to download something it's either net cafes, friends' houses or the university lab.
Anyway, I used that link you provided to get .NET Framework 3.5. There seem to be two different installers for it.
The dotnetfx35setup version (2.7Mb, I think it's refered to as bootstrapper or something) would get endlessly stuck while trying to download another 70Mb and then I'd have to terminate it with the task manager.
The dotnetfx35 version (197Mb, the full redistributable) again tried to download an extra 70Mb. It somehow got up to 60 (that's what it showed on-screen anyway, 60/70Mb downloaded), then decided to finally install itself and flashed me a 'Setup is complete' AND a 'Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.' message at the same time. I exited both messages and the computer asked if I wanted to restart it in order for the installation to be completed. I picked restart and after windows had loaded, I run the game.

Like before it crashed back to the desktop on the way to school the first day, right after Sakaki woke me up.

I tried both easy and normal mode, running the game in a window, running it full-screen, again it crashes. I even tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling .NET Framework various times but the game still crashes the exact same way. I also keep getting the 'Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.' message every time I reinstall .NET Framework. (And don't let me get started on the whole 'Yay, lets download another 70Mb of crap even though there's no internet here and I'm supposed to be a full redistributable'.)

By the way, the net cafe I tried the game at before had .NET Framework 3.5 installed already so I didn't need to bother with it and Zwei would still crash.

The good news so to speak is that at home I get an actual error message.

'Sylph has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.'

Error signature
EventType : clr20r3 P1 : morningstarzwei.exe P2 : 1.0.0.0
P3 : 49ecccf1 P4 : interpreter P5 : 1.0.0.0 P6 : 49ec7e2b
P7 : 214 P8 : 5f3 P9 : acumen.sylph.interpreter.script

There doesn't seem to be any way for me to copy the actual contents of the error report but here's the dump file from the game.
Attachments
dump.txt
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 124 times