YOU LEFT ME. [Free][Horror/Humor/Surreal][Ludum Dare]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
zephyo
Tumblr: zephyo
Deviantart: zephy0
Github: zephyo
itch: zephyo

YOU LEFT ME. [Free][Horror/Humor/Surreal][Ludum Dare]

#1 Post by zephyo »

You wake up in a different world.
You have until nighttime to escape.
Why are you here?

You've forgotten something important. But what?

Remember - before it's too late, and you're lost forever.

Play it free on itchio | Game Jolt | Newgrounds

Watch how I made it

A dark/funny/surreal game about loneliness and loss. Comes with chat-speaking cyclopic cat and moon that tells dad jokes.

Features:
  • 5 endings
  • 5 - 30 minutes each play-through
  • Surreal, original art and story
  • Available for Mac, Windows, Linux
**Warning: contains explicit handling of suicide.**

・ 。
☆∴。 *
Hey guys, I'm back again with another thingy with a lot of personal meaning to me! I made this in 48 hrs for LD Compo 41 (source code on Github). You can find me, and more of my stuff, on twitter or tumblr. If you're interested, and you check it out, I hope you enjoy :)

M.Knight

Re: YOU LEFT ME. [Free][Horror/Humor/Surreal][Ludum Dare]

#2 Post by M.Knight »

I finished playing it quite recently and have to admit it was very impressive visuals and sound-wise. For a game created under such short time constraints, you crafted a very surreal and engaging little adventure. The artwork in particular really sells the idea of being lost given how peculiar it looks like.

The moon's jokes were corny but funny! And the cat is...oddly adorable? XD

It is a shame the game is so short because the ideas it explores and the bizarre atmosphere warrant a longer game. Not that I have anything against short games, (it would actually be the other way around : I hate bloated VNs) but there is some room for more, I think. For example, the fact that
you have to put clear choices that lead the character to die or not instead of this event being a culmination of the things you have done all throughout the game is due to how short and to the point the game is. That said, I liked the "Fly" option's naming. It was kinda poetic in a twisted way, and with the visuals and the atmopshere, I instantly understood what it meant.

Aside from that, I reached the "best" ending on the first try, while the others seem harder to get while it should be the other way around. Or maybe that was intentional?

Anyway, it's a beautiful game with a very surreal atmosphere and is defintely worth playing!

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

#3 Post by DirkB »

You really have an incredible talent for this. Surreal games are not my style, but I still find the art fantastic.

It was amazing to see you make the game. Thanks for sharing that video.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Oh, another game from you!! This is awesome, I'll have to play this after my last exam tomorrow, given your track record it'll definitely be a treat. c:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

I did play it today - beautiful game as expected. Your art is truly stunning, and the music you chose paired well with it to create the surreal, "everything's-just-off" atmosphere that this game needed.
I got the "survive" ending first, which is no surprise to me given that I usually can't stand to put game characters through hardship, but I did also go back for the other four so that I could experience as much of it as possible. Each ending and accompanying illustration was incredibly powerful, but the most so for me was the Roof - partially because I didn't realize before I first clicked it exactly what "Roof" meant, and partially because something about those teeth was absolutely terrifying. I actually clicked in and out of the Roof several times before choosing the option to "fly" because I just... viscerally did not want to.

I had actually gone to the clinic initially thinking that I could get help there, but I realized as soon as I started talking to the doctor that they wouldn't be any help there. I went through all of the options anyway, but the entire interaction was unsettling. I knew immediately what the happy pills meant and I didn't even accept them the first time. My second playthrough, they were my death, but I noticed they stuck around for subsequent playthroughs. I never got the happy pills ending again, but the fact that they were there meant that I could essentially give in before the game even really started and that was terrifying in its own right.
I liked how the actual date was taken off of my computer - it made the entire experience feel much closer and more real.

Incredible job on this.

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#6 Post by Mutive »

Oooh, I played this one and loved it. The visuals are breath-taking (and delightfully unusual) and the music fits perfectly. I loved the story, too, and found it to be just about the perfect length. Thanks for creating this!
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

zephyo
Tumblr: zephyo
Deviantart: zephy0
Github: zephyo
itch: zephyo

#7 Post by zephyo »

@M.Knight Thanks!! Glad you found the moon funny XD Yeah, I probably would've fleshed it out more if I wasn't under a time constraint of 48 hrs (Ludum Dare). I think reaching the best ending first depends on the player since some could never even find the best ending.

@DirkB Thank you : DDDD No problem.

@Zelan Eeek hello again, nice to see you!!!!!! ^_^ Hope you did well on your exam!! I loved hearing how your playthrough went, thanks for narrating it through. And I'm glad you noticed the date thing ;D

@Mutive thank you!! <3

CatPalismia
Regular
Discord: temteno#2499

#8 Post by CatPalismia »

I really liked this game!
The art was beautiful - I was always in awe when the scenes had so harmonic colors and melancholic feel in it. I'm a huge sucker of surrealistic work and art though so it definitely hit the right spot :D

The game itself hit me personally too though.
Seeing the struggle of the protagonist trying to recover from losing beloved person to them was sad and touching. Even though there might be people to support, still the thoughts of "is there worth to go on anymore" are on mind. Everyday life is reminding that the someone isn't there anymore and it is hard to get through. The struggle of protagonist to go on felt very real to me.
At start getting happy ending was little confusing but it was also fun to try and find it.

Honestly the talking with cat was fun and relaxing. I tried to get every possible dialogue! :D
The shortness of game didn't really bother me. It delivered it's message what it tried to tell clearly and nicely. I'm actually impressed that you made this in so small time frame!

Overall the game left big impression on me and definitely would recommend to people.
Good luck and keep going what you are doing!