Spirited Heart

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Spirited Heart

#106 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

papillon wrote:I'm not sure more transparent is really an improvement, the modesty of her outfit was part of what made it cute! IMO.
I've got to agree with Papillon. Though as a guy I love a girl showing skin - Go Reid! Woohoo! - I was most drawn and attracted to Yana out of the group. Maybe that was partially because I have a soft spot for redheads and freckles, but mostly it was because she was the most covered and modest. A contrast to the others and a mystery. Is she shy and reserved? So confident she feels no need to show off the goods? She reads as wholesome and down to earth with the original coverage. Simple, honest, dependable.

Plus, you now, I'm ashamed to say that the "Gift Effect" is probably at work. I.e. it is more fun to unwrap presents!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#107 Post by jack_norton »

Asked artist to draw her cloth as layer so can have a "covered" and "uncovered" version. The latter will be used later in the game :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#108 Post by Aleema »

The first several characters (Lia, Yana, Thym, and Leah) were all written without their sprites, so I just had their concepts in mind. Jack, Leah is still too young looking, and Thym is too old looking. :( I think it would do your game a ton of good to just swap their sprites and color them differently. (Though Leah's dress is what I described in the writing ...) Because I honestly think it will clash with what you gave me to write as it is now.

As for Yana's ... underwear ...The transparent cloak is really impractical and silly, and doesn't match her personality, I don't think. If you wanted her to show more skin, you shouldn't have said to draw a heavy, closed cloak then. =P Maybe make it waaay more subtle so that you only see it if you're trying to look for it. Right now, it just ... makes her really less cute. (but I'm a straight girl what do I know?)

D: Sorry. It's just really weird to see what these girls actually look like after writing them. In general, I think they're all very cute and the artist is amazing. A lot of people won't care since the quality is already through the roof. I'm just one person, so *shrugs*

In other news, I'm really excited to learn about Reid and Hade. They look fun!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#109 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Aleema wrote:Jack, Leah is still too young looking, and Thym is too old looking.
They look the same age to me, which appears to be the right age.

Glad to see another vote against the Yana invisibility cloak though. Haha.

I don't know, as a guy, I just think wearing underwear under an transparent outfit sends mixed signals. Either you want people to see through your clothes or not, right? Why only go halfway and stop? I mean, it comes off as a little tacky, like socks with sandals, you know? The ancient Egyptians had the right idea - either don't wear clothes at all (i.e. kids) and no one cares, wear opaque cloth that covers everything, or wear transparent cloth that reveals everything if you stare hard enough, or just wear nothing but a belt like slaves or dancers. I actually read that when Egyptian women wanted to attract a man, they would wear MORE, and cover up completely - the "Gift Effect" I mentioned earlier. It is funny to think about a norm where women were naked so often that men ignored them unless they covered up. :lol: Of course, this was a society where men often wore no more than the equivalent of a mini-skirt.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#110 Post by Aleema »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Aleema wrote:Jack, Leah is still too young looking, and Thym is too old looking.
In regards to their writing, Thym is more childish than Leah. Leah is very clearly stated to be older than the player and she has a mature attitude/demeanor (all of this was described to me by Jack himself). But in general, I disagree that they look the same age. Thym is taller and has a smaller head, and just holds herself more ... maturely. Compared to each other, they should be swapped.

But if no one else cares, then I'm wrong.
Last edited by Aleema on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#111 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Aleema wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
In regards to their writing, Thym is more childish than Leah. Leah is very clearly stated to be older than the player and she has a mature attitude/demeanor (all of this was described to me by Jack himself). But in general, I disagree that they look the same age. Thym is taller and has a smaller head, and just holds herself more ... maturely. Compared to each other, they should be swapped.
Ah, I see.

Though holding oneself more maturely doesn't necessarily imply age. But since you are talking from a writing and story standpoint and I haven't read those, I'm in no place to judge.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#112 Post by jack_norton »

Hm well I think Thym and Leah sprites can be swapped indeed. I DID tell the artist that Leah should look older :) I think is probably hard with that kind of style to make a sprite look... "5-6 years older". If was 10 years or more would be probably easier. Anyway, she didn't start yet, so I guess I could simply tell her to swap Thym/Leah heads?
(said this way looks a bit gruesome LOL)
And the Yana dress will be a layer so I can hide the body completely or adjust transparency as I want! :)
computer games

Headache
Regular

#113 Post by Headache »

Actually, I like Yana's sprite the way it is. It makes her look sexy and cute - just my type! XD

Edit: And I'm a female.
Last edited by Headache on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#114 Post by Riviera »

I have to agree, the transparent cloak is kinda tacky.. especially for a farmer's daughter. If she was a showgirl, or worked in a seedy bar, it'd work for her.

If you really have your heart set on that kind of look for her (even if only for a scene or two late in the romance), it would help make it look better if she had black or gray clothing on underneath. Instead of underwear like she has now, which makes it look like she either wants to look kinda trashy or simply threw the cloak on and somehow completely doesn't realize you can see through it, you could put some slightly more tasteful and "display-friendly" clothes on. If you're gonna show it off, put something nice on to show! :D

Fancy lingerie for the sexy look, or boybriefs and a nice camisole for a cute one.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#115 Post by jack_norton »

But but... her lingerie color is pairing with her eyes! :D

It's too fun to see different female/male attitudes. Males are just "woah! see through clothes! thumbs up!" while females makes lots of suggestions :lol:
computer games

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#116 Post by Silvere »

*Ahem*
You know that the ultimate "marketing" would be giving your old game out for a week for free, so lots of people want to buy the addon!
.. Yeah, I´m dreaming.
[Or not? Trololol? :<]

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#117 Post by papillon »

jack_norton wrote: It's too fun to see different female/male attitudes. Males are just "woah! see through clothes! thumbs up!" while females makes lots of suggestions :lol:
Pfft - don't blame it on male/female, the first person who jumped in to agree with me about the transparent look was a guy. :)

I have no objection to undies under transparent clothes, only that it was a drastically different effect than the initial impression we had of her from the sketch where everyone was saying how cute she was, so I was suspecting it would not actually meet with as much approval as you hoped!

If you actually wanted to use transparency, though, there's always the comedy option of her wearing her brand new robes, getting caught in the rain, and then discovering to her surprise that they turn see-through. Then you get the peekaboo aspect as well as making her blush like crazy! But, er, that would require writing a whole scene for it. :)

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#118 Post by EwanG »

papillon wrote:If you actually wanted to use transparency, though, there's always the comedy option of her wearing her brand new robes, getting caught in the rain, and then discovering to her surprise that they turn see-through. Then you get the peekaboo aspect as well as making her blush like crazy! But, er, that would require writing a whole scene for it. :)
Doesn't have to be comedy. I was one of the managers for our girls' swim team in high school. In the second year of the team (and the school, it had just been built), the coach and one of the lady PTA members decided the girls should get swimsuits in our school colors - Black and Gold. The problem was that the material they selected was such that when the black portion (which was the main part of the suit with the gold on the shoulders and thighs for trim) got wet it became transparent. You can imagine the number of guys who suddenly wanted to "help" us. Ended up having to buy small suits that went under the new suits. Of course there was one girl who decided she wasn't going to do that because she didn't want to sacrifice performance for modesty...
Working on something... might even be something good :D

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#119 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

jack_norton wrote: It's too fun to see different female/male attitudes. Males are just "woah! see through clothes! thumbs up!" while females makes lots of suggestions :lol:
papillon wrote: Pfft - don't blame it on male/female, the first person who jumped in to agree with me about the transparent look was a guy. :)
Ah, I'm hurt, Jack. I'm a guy. You know, despite, having Alice as my avatar since I'm such a massive Lewis Carroll fan.

It's want Papillon said. I don't dislike the transparency so much as the fact that she looked so much better without it. Everyone loved the first impression and look of Yana, and now that got changed and it conflicts with the image people had created of Yana in their minds.

That's the issue really.

If I had first seen her in the transparent cloak or you know, naked (since I'm a guy "Woah! No clothes! Thumbs up!") first, I wouldn't have cared. Notice that no one is complaining about Reid. It is just that Yana looked better in the first image we saw.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#120 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I don't mind the transparent cloak actually. That'd be a nice touch, or an open cloak.
I feel like she needed a bit more colors on her. or something. maybe beige...or faded blue... /rambling >3>

. I do think it'd be nice though if she had something underneath, like a simple blouse and trousers. something modest and simple, but cute o3o