Katawa Shoujo Act 1

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1

#61 Post by Freelancer »

When I first saw this the Idea didn't strike me as interesting. And the size put me off completely. But somehow I still ended up downloading it. and I'm glad I did. This is so professionally done it feels like a commercial B-game. The characters are all very interesting.
Rin is my favorite, but Shizune's sheer... Cuteness (In reference to her looks not her personality) Makes her a close second. The only character I didn't fully like was Hisao. His demeanor and attitude I just didn't like. (I guess they were to far removed from my own so I can't fault you for that you have to go with the common man when creating a character for something like this.) also My mom has heart arrhythmia and neither her or anyone else either of us know who has it takes pills for it. A minor discrepancy at worst, I'm sure you have a reason for it.
I can't wait for the sequel that I assume is coming.
Words like "Promo" and "Demo" and "They are waiting for you in the sequel" Lead me to this conclusion.
These characters and this universe defiantly do deserve to live on. Even Kenji with his wacky "feminist Conspiracy theory". One more thing.
I noticed a lot of the characters where put together as neighbors because it was thought they would compliment each other. Is this common place? (Like how they decide who lives where), did they do the same thing with Kenji and Hisao? and if so how do they go together?
I don't know if you answered these questions earlier as I didn't read through the earlier posts as I usually do.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

Softdrink9876
Projects: (Getting started on somthing. when i get somthing done, will put it here.)

#62 Post by Softdrink9876 »

Lilly is the best blond character i have ever seen! (personality and stuff)
Love her ending!

Will patiently wait until the rest of teh game and stuff is out... :P

Muse
Regular

#63 Post by Muse »

Very cute game. It's a unique concept; it's always difficult to have characters with disabilities, because you need to acknowledge the challenges, but you don't want to make them look somehow inferior or to make too light or too heavy of the problem. Overall I think this was handled very well.

My only comment would be that I felt it a bit odd how in the first bit Misha wouldn't separate her dialogue from Shizune's, but later said "Shizune says this" etc. I feel both situations fit, but the sudden transition threw me off balance a bit; I don't see why she suddenly changed? Unless perhaps they realized that Hisao was having trouble distinguishing them (which also fits). Also I haven't heard "desktop" used for the actual top of a desk; I know it is technically correct but I don't think it is common usage?

I really find the characters adorable. Also when I saw the 404 on your site I squealed in happiness and immediately showed my friend (it was on the mac direct download page on the blogspot website, but I found the mirrors just fine); it was just too cute.

Overall I found the art and music exceptional, and the characters very likable. They were cute and quirky, and I felt how Hisao handled the various situations (as well as how the others did) was done very realistically and I definitely felt myself liking and/or feeling sympathetic towards certain characters.

NeumanProductions
Regular
Completed: Penpals
Projects: Raven Falls; Zero no Tsukaima: A Familiar's Dilemma (Lost in Production))
Organization: Justice Brothers

#64 Post by NeumanProductions »

Freelancer wrote: I can't wait for the sequel that I assume is coming.
Words like "Promo" and "Demo" and "They are waiting for you in the sequel" Lead me to this conclusion.
If there is a sequel I can highly assume out of all the pressure and frustration we have/are giving the Devs on the KS forums that they won't be the ones to do it. Perhaps pass the rights on for the characters since the sprites and backgrounds will be completed, if they stay in school, and the different CG will be the only thing aside from writing and programming. Unless you mean that the demo is looking for a sequel then by all means that's what the last several years have been about with a 5 act VN; with a larger download than just act 1 of course. You should join us on that forum if your not already there. :mrgreen:
"Sometimes...when there's no one around...I only step on the darker ones..." ~Hanako (Katawa Shoujo by 4Leaf Studios)
You know, I sometimes still do that. :)
This Act 1 portion is what hooked me on VNs, so I like to promote them.
Anything I write I post here Deviant Art

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#65 Post by Freelancer »

NeumanProductions wrote: If there is a sequel I can highly assume out of all the pressure and frustration we have/are giving the Devs on the KS forums that they won't be the ones to do it. Perhaps pass the rights on for the characters since the sprites and backgrounds will be completed, if they stay in school, and the different CG will be the only thing aside from writing and programming. Unless you mean that the demo is looking for a sequel then by all means that's what the last several years have been about with a 5 act VN; with a larger download than just act 1 of course. You should join us on that forum if your not already there. :mrgreen:
Uhh...What? Did something happen while I was not paying attention in a place I wasn't looking again?
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

sooty15

#66 Post by sooty15 »

well are they gonna release a actual game or keep up with this act faffle
because this whole thing just seems like a demo
a grand one,that was amazing to read, but a demo nonetheless

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#67 Post by papillon »

it's supposed to be.

it takes a long time for a bunch of volunteers to make a full-length game, you know! Heck, it takes people who're getting PAID a long time to make a full-length game.

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#68 Post by Suikama »

According to thier blog, the full release is set to happen sometime this year so we gotta keep sitting tight till then

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#69 Post by Machus »

The Linux Direct Download link on the site isn't working. I really want to try this out, so I hope you get this working soon!
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#70 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

well, I'm watching when will be released, for very obvious reasons ( wchich isnot the full release being H....)

Best regards and apologies for the long AWOL.
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#71 Post by cosmo »

I would like to thank the translators for doing a good work on version 5 of Act 1!

There are not many Ren'Py games that come with such a nice multi language possibility. – And it may be the only one that comes with 9 languages (also in German - my native language) included in one and the same release! … Next to all the work on content and art this is just great!
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

ShirakiHime
Regular
Projects: Mermaid Revelation (GxB otome)

#72 Post by ShirakiHime »

Http Error 404: Not found? ._.

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#73 Post by cosmo »

ShirakiHime wrote:Http Error 404: Not found? ._.
There has been an older version that has been linked on http://games.renpy.org/ but the most recent version will be available here: http://katawa-shoujo.com/

Have fun!
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

ShirakiHime
Regular
Projects: Mermaid Revelation (GxB otome)

#74 Post by ShirakiHime »

cosmo wrote:
ShirakiHime wrote:Http Error 404: Not found? ._.
There has been an older version that has been linked on http://games.renpy.org/ but the most recent version will be available here: http://katawa-shoujo.com/

Have fun!
Whaaa thank you <33333

droopy
Projects: things just for fun

#75 Post by droopy »

Oh I remember playing the demo of this a long time ago. Cool that they are still working on this.