Refinery [KN][GxG][SoL/Drama/Magical Realism]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Feral Phoenix
Regular
Completed: Uncommon Time, The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal, Refinery
Projects: The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance
Tumblr: dialoguelostloop
itch: feralphoenix

Refinery [KN][GxG][SoL/Drama/Magical Realism]

#1 Post by Feral Phoenix » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:55 am

Refinery
Magical Realism (Reverse Fantasy) | Kinetic NVL | 3-4 hours | 13+
Refinery is a NVL that I've been working on for what feels like a million years, but it's finally complete. Because redrawing the early-story assets would mean it'd take at least another year to release it, that means that players will get to see the artwork quality dramatically improve as they play!

You may enjoy this game if you like magical realism (mundane stories that involve fantastical elements), urban fantasy, and/or reverse fantasy (stories where fantasy beings are interested in leading mundane lives--think Maidragon or Steven Universe); gardens; boy+girl friendship; dorky characters; really inane conversations; stories about coping with/recovering from mental illness; gay pining; and girls realizing that Holy Crap, Girls.

The main story, Refinery, is a novel-length story about a disgruntled young artist whose college plans were sidelined by mental illness and a weird, cheerful young man who shows up at her part-time job one day. Despite what that blurb may lead you to assume, it's what we call "gen" in the land of fanfiction and does not feature romance elements.

Landscape is a novelette-length sequel story to Refinery, unlocked after finishing the main story and accessible under the Extras menu. It’s told from the perspective of Shiu and takes place a few months after Refinery ends. Its opening and ending themes are original pieces composed by 3x3holic.

For Us All is a short story-length sequel to Refinery and Landscape, unlocked after finishing Landscape and accessible under the Extras menu. It’s told from Tomomi’s perspective and takes place a month or two after Landscape. Its ending theme, "Turn That Dream" by Vocaloid composer ryuryu, is available for purchase here on bandcamp.

Both Landscape and For Us All involve GxG romance.

Story
Nineteen-year-old artist Kouro Tomomi is bored and restless. She's tired of life in her small, slow-moving Hokkaido hometown. But her plans to study at a prestigious art college and break into the architectural and landscape design field were sidelined by a rude shock that impacted her on both a mental and physical level. Treading the worn path of routine at her parents' house and her part-time job at a local home and gardening store, she feels frozen in place, trapped—that it's still too early for anyone to buy her services landscaping is not helping.

But then one day early in May, a strange young man calling himself Kuro Daiya comes to Tomomi's workplace. Everything from his hair to his beloved motorcycle stands out a mile in this town. And early in the season though it may be, he has his heart set on setting up a garden for his new house—

Characters

Screenshots
screenshots from Refinery

more screenshots from Refinery

even more screenshots from Refinery

screenshots from Landscape

(Screenshots from For Us All not included on the basis that everything in For Us All is a spoiler.)
My Games Hub Page
Original
Uncommon Time (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Refinery (Ren'Py) | The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance (RPG Maker VX Ace)
Collab
The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal (RPG Maker VX Ace - illustration, English translation)
Translated
Tragic Muppets (RPG Maker VX Ace) | The Gaol of Eternity (RPG Maker XP) | I Wished For (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Gathering the Magic (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Rainy Drop (RPG Maker VX Ace)

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan

Re: Refinery [KN][GxG][SoL/Drama/Magical Realism]

#2 Post by Zelan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 pm

This looks like my kind of VN for sure. I'll get back to you once I get the chance to play this. c: (I get you on the art, haha. I feel the same looking over half-finished drafts of my old writing.)

Feral Phoenix
Regular
Completed: Uncommon Time, The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal, Refinery
Projects: The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance
Tumblr: dialoguelostloop
itch: feralphoenix

Re: Refinery [KN][GxG][SoL/Drama/Magical Realism]

#3 Post by Feral Phoenix » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it!! (and lmao isn't that just the way it always goes... I know from experience that if I redrew just the assets from 2014 when I put out the first demo, I genuinely wouldn't be able to stop myself until I'd redrawn literally everything, and that just isn't sustainable if I'd wanted to get a finished product out this year. sometimes "perfect" really is the worst enemy of "complete")
My Games Hub Page
Original
Uncommon Time (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Refinery (Ren'Py) | The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance (RPG Maker VX Ace)
Collab
The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal (RPG Maker VX Ace - illustration, English translation)
Translated
Tragic Muppets (RPG Maker VX Ace) | The Gaol of Eternity (RPG Maker XP) | I Wished For (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Gathering the Magic (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Rainy Drop (RPG Maker VX Ace)