Only the Holly [Fantasy] [Family/Friendship] [Be the Void] [Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
aedifice
Completed: Only the Holly
Organization: Aedifice Interactive
Tumblr: aedifice
itch: aedifice

Only the Holly [Fantasy] [Family/Friendship] [Be the Void] [Free]

#1 Post by aedifice »

The world is dying, slowly being consumed by the Void. Somewhere along the way, however, the Void became curious, perhaps having consumed too many thoughts and emotions. It sent a tendril of itself out into the world, creating a being called Nova, who starts to learn about this world with the help of an errant noble, Cass, and his sister Melli, who is trying to find a way to stop the Void.

Only the Holly is a fantasy visual novel about finding family oh and possibly the world ending. It combines lyrical prose, lovable characters, amusing dialogue, and reflections on what it means to be a person.

Features:
  • 28,000 word script for several hours of gameplay
  • 4 endings
  • a different ending song for each ending
  • BE the Void

What people are saying:

“​Looming death of a pastoral fantasy world? The gameplay choices vary from simple and amusing to world-critical. I loved the expressive characters, backgrounds, multiple endings, and thoughtful dialog regarding the nature of mind, matter, individuality, relationships, and family.” —​ Tethys

“They’re a bunch of sweet cutie muffins, even the world-devouring abomination.” — Ben B.

“10/10 would date Melli again.” — Anna K. *note: you cannot actually date anyone in this game

Only the Holly is completely free to play, though if you like it consider:
  • letting me know! This will boost my motivation for further projects.
  • sharing on social media! I have an advertisement budget of $0, so word of mouth helps!
  • and hey, if you think the game deserves a few bucks, I'm not going to complain.

Content warnings for
depression, body horror, and suicidal rhetoric.

Music from Joel Steudler, Murray Atkinson, JDB Artist, JStewart, Josh Woodward, and Train Room. See the “Resources Used” file in the download for more details.
Last edited by aedifice on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

Re: Only the Holly [Fantasy] [Family/Friendship] [Be the Void] [Free]

#2 Post by ParrotWatcher »

This is definitely one of the sweetest stories about world-ending abominations that I've ever read. :)
aedifice wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:54 pm “10/10 would date Melli again.” — Anna K. *note: you cannot actually date anyone in this game
She means Cass, right? :P
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

aedifice

#3 Post by aedifice »

ParrotWatcher wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:46 am This is definitely one of the sweetest stories about world-ending abominations that I've ever read. :)
Aw, thank you!
ParrotWatcher wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:46 am
aedifice wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:54 pm “10/10 would date Melli again.” — Anna K. *note: you cannot actually date anyone in this game
She means Cass, right? :P
Nah, but that works out, right? She can date Melli while you go date Cass.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I absolutely love your writing style.

I've tried to write a character newly born into the world before and it was very clumsy. Nova was essentially what I tried and failed to do - endearing, curious, and learning about the world in a strange and out of order way.
I legitimately cried reading the Humanist's ending, the first ending that I got. Nova's sacrifice, and Cass and Melli standing with aer? Wow. And I have no idea how to put into words the genuine joy and relief that I felt when Nova appeared onscreen again. It was such a beautiful ending for a beautiful story.
I've gotten the Humanist's End, the Prodigal's End, and the Void's End, but I have no idea what the fourth ending is or how to get it. Any hints would be appreciated, I'd really love to experience the last portion of this story.

aedifice

#5 Post by aedifice »

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing your experiences with the story.

For hints on the ending you’re missing,
Nova has to have made certain choices and been a certain person. Then, in a fresh playthrough, act completely counter to that.
Or, for more direct instructions:
Since you’ve achieved Void’s End now, start the game from the beginning and try to go for the Humanist’s End again.

As an additional note, if you want to revisit the Humanist’s End later, the Ending Gallery will display an option to reset the fourth ending once you've achieved it.
I’d be interested in knowing what you think of it.