Heikou

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Grey
Veteran

Heikou

#1 Post by Grey »

Phew. I finally finished. Still I managed to release it by the 1st, right? :roll:

I'm not sure what people will think about it. (Certainly there's one aspect mikey won't be too fond of)

I shall restrain from a dirge of self critisism here until I've heard a few peoples views though.

Please post any bugs/problems you find here. I'm sure there'll be at least one thing testing didn't uncover.

Heikou can be downloaded from here. Download size ~10MB

I hope you enjoy it :D

Fixed a bug that could cause problems under certain circumstances. As of this posts time of edit, the game is now version 1.0.2

PS. If you're aiming to finish the game in its entirity as fast as possible then I'd advise you not to. You will most likely end up heartily sick and tired of it.

PPS. renai.us admins, feel free to upload the game. You can extract the information from my site as with Kasuka if you like, or ask me to send you it.
Last edited by Grey on Wed May 04, 2005 6:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Heikou

#2 Post by mikey »

Grey wrote:Certainly there's one aspect mikey won't be too fond of.
I don't know what that could be... do I have a grudge against something? :? Anyway, downloading now :P Congratulations on the release!!

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#3 Post by Kikered »

So far, I've played the game for a few hours. Very good stuff. I think I found a couple of bugs though:
In the marsh, there were many empty text boxes in a row. I don't know whether this was intentional or not. If I recall correctly, the decisions leading up to that point were the ones favoring Aliki.

Also, at the parts where I have the opportunity to play Moonshoot, it loads a blank window with nothing in it. When I close it, it automatically assumes that I lose afterwards.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

me and Beta will have a look at the game tommarrow... which is the... 1st of march. expect a review from the both of us.
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Been playing it, and so far I've gotten a number of the 1, 3, and 4 endings. Would it be possible to get a list of the possible endings (not the names, just the number/letter pairs, if they exist.)
My first few playthroughs got me several of the 1 variants, which are all fairly dark, so I think my initial impression of the game is that it's quite dark. The 3 ending that I got is starting to change my mind, however.
I'm calling it a night.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Grey
Veteran

#6 Post by Grey »

Thanks people :D

PyTom -
Yes, I'd say that the game in general is quite dark. Some of the storylines are more frivolous than others though.
Hmm, as to an ending list, how about just an ending hint for the moment, since it's only day 2? In all cases except 7, if an ending is listed without a letter, it means that that ending is standalone. Ending 1 has the most variants, and there are 9 groups in total.
Kikered -
Your bugs worry me...is anyone else having the same problems? (I remember in testing those areas worked fine for me, but I'll have a look now)

Actually I just realised why you're having the 2nd problem >_<
I forgot to embed the second SWF file...meaning I'll have to put a new version up, and everyones going to have to redownload the thing (note that endings will all be retained though). Sorry about this :(
(Thankyou for catching this early though)

Could people also comment on the speed of the engine?
I had a go running it on a Duron 1.2 PC and it seemed quite a bit slower than on my Athlon XP 2500+ which it was developed on. Also the font on the Duron machine didn't look very good.

If you are having lag problems, then changing text mode to instant helps.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

Bugs (or at least potential bugs).

- Instant text mode doesn't work on all text.

- Once I received the dice once, I seem to have them in all games.

- A potential math error. The characters start with 1 energy, and amplify/fortify cost 2 energy. But when auto-amplify/fortify is cast, the caster is at -2 at the start, rather than -1. (Perhaps this is just a penalty for negative energy.)

- In general, the character conf settings seem to sometimes change randomly.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Grey
Veteran

#8 Post by Grey »

Hmm, most of those are 'features'

In a few parts of the game (like the start) I force letter by letter text to add some more emphasis.

While somewhat paradoxical, all collected relics persist through every game you play (the relics are to liven up battle mode, with different moves and possible fighting styles, so having to collect them all each time you want to use them would be annoying)

It is indeed a penalty for automatically being able to use moves you'd otherwise have to wait for.

Settings change randomly, how so? These are tied to save games, so reloading will reload your previous settings for that game.

Beta
Regular

#9 Post by Beta »

we (me and Zeta) have a possible explanation that Grey could use for that particular "math error"... however, we also found what seems to be a little bug...

in a fight, if you select a character (LMB on character icon) that has 0 energy points and less than 100% health and use a potion, s/he will have -1 energy.

now for the "-2 EN at start of battle" explanation: here's how we see it...

instead of leaving energy accumulation (sp?) to a general pool, you focus said energy into preparing an attack for immediate use. as such, the energy cannot be used for other attacks. unfortunately, the energy slowly dissapates, and you have to continually channel energy to the attack.

(I don't know how many people will see it that way, but that's our view on it...)

(we'll play it a few more times before a review. first ending was 1e)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Megaman Z »

I see Beta beat me to the reply button on this one...

good game from what I've seen so far. expect a review soon...
~Kitsune Zeta

Grey
Veteran

#11 Post by Grey »

No, that isn't a bug either. Taking a potion uses up 1 energy, but I designed it so that you're allowed to do it anytime.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Megaman Z »

uh-huh... suuuurrrrre it isn't... (notes down for future reference on the reliability of Grey's information...)
~Kitsune Zeta

Grey
Veteran

#13 Post by Grey »

Oh, suuuuure I don't know what I'm talking about, I only designed the damn thing >_>

I'm sure you and your imaginary friends know best though, right?

Beta
Regular

#14 Post by Beta »

Grey wrote:I'm sure you and your imaginary friends know best though, right?
keep it going... he'll have plenty of chances to return the favor... as soon as somebody (hint, hint) confirms whether a certain file works or not...

(IMO, I believe that, considering you already limited recovery items, the potions shouldn't cost energy in the first place...)

[Zeta, can I please borrow your tactical shield? *takes shield* thanks!]

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Megaman Z »

Beta wrote:[really small text explaining where the hell my shield went]
h-hey! give that back!
~Kitsune Zeta