Mudkip Goes to Walmart then Dies (ミズゴロウがウォルマート行ってなんやかんやで死んだ) [Free][LGBT+][RPG?][VN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CoolerMudkip
Regular
Completed: Memories~ Megami no hogo-sha [Demo]
Projects: Northward
Tumblr: CoolerMudkip
Github: ztc0611
itch: MorallyGay
Discord: MorallyGay#5861

Mudkip Goes to Walmart then Dies (ミズゴロウがウォルマート行ってなんやかんやで死んだ) [Free][LGBT+][RPG?][VN]

#1 Post by CoolerMudkip »

deleted
Last edited by CoolerMudkip on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

CoolerMudkip
Regular

Re: Mudkip Goes to Walmart then Dies [Free][LGBT+][RPG?][VN]

#2 Post by CoolerMudkip »

deleted
Last edited by CoolerMudkip on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuriko777
Tumblr: https://emmakoneko.tumblr.com/

#3 Post by Yuriko777 »

I've been lurking on Lemma Soft on and off for almost 10 years now without an account, so I've actually been a bit (very) hesitant to post this, but I guess I'll finally cave. This is really scary to write, but I've been reading visual novels and wanting to make them since I was 11, and this one inspires me, I guess. It's such a simple, silly story - 'silly' is an understatement, really - but I know a lot of heart was poured into it, and it really shines through. I watched this get made over the course of many months and even contributed to it (and oh, I've been dreaming of contributing to a visual novel for years!) and the result makes me feel a unique kind of joy. I've read this VN more often than any other, and sure, that might be because I generally refuse to read anything under 2 hours (I filter short VNs out on vndb), but I think it says a lot that I still keep coming back to it.

There are so many absurdist comedy VNs out there, and I can't say this one is objectively better (because that would make me a liar, and I very much don't want to be one of those). But I also can't say I've ever read one that was quite like this one. The creator really injected his own personality and style into it, and it's a unique experience through and through. Few visual novels have actually managed to make me laugh (the only one I can specifically remember is the Little Busters! common route when I was, like, 12), but this one somehow succeeded multiple times. Maybe it's just the specific little lines that were probably (definitely) aimed at me, but still, that's a pleasant experience.

I won't pretend I'm not extremely biased in my interpretation of this VN. I definitely am. Like I said, I witnessed the creation process, I know Mudkip personally, and I feel a bit silly sitting down to write this, knowing that it isn't really going to have any meaning because of it. But since nobody else is giving feedback (understandable, when so many visual novels are being released every day, but sad nonetheless), I feel like I ought to come on here.

MDS MD is definitely not the sort of visual novel I normally read, or the sort I imagined working on for all these years. It's extremely short (which I already said I don't like), lighthearted, and has (ugh) unavoidable gameplay elements. The art and music is all taken from other games, the story itself is nonsense, the characters have very quick and easy arcs that resolve themselves in an instant. Still, I love it, and so much more than anticipated - I worried a bit that I'd disappoint Mudkip by not liking it enough (and I'm not a liar, so I would have to disappoint him were that the case), but I ended up really shocking myself. The familiar art and music makes me smile, the nonsensical story is immensely entertaining, and those characters somehow managed to become very dear to me almost immediately. I like being able to reread it in less than an hour, I'm uplifted by the tone of it, and I really enjoy holding the CTRL button as I repeatedly mash 'defend' against the first enemy so that my HP becomes extremely high and Joey mocks me for how I spend/waste my time... uh, anyway.

Nobody's going to read this, in all likelihood (besides Mudkip himself, and to him I say - you're welcome, go fulfill your end of the deal) but it somehow felt worth saying. This insignificant and extremely strange visual novel holds a lot of personal value to me, and I couldn't appreciate it more. (I say this, but if a spinoff were released in which all the characters are replaced by anime gijinka and the vocabulary was intentionally made very cringy and weeb-y, and the location was changed from Wallmart to 7-11, I would definitely be even more pleased with it.) It's thanks to this visual novel that I've finally made the decision to take part in NaNoRenO, after all these years, and maybe finally follow my dreams... oh god, that sounds so cliché. That's all I have to say, I think. (Goddd this was embarrassing to write!)

spaceCassette

#4 Post by spaceCassette »

Just started playing and this is a masterpiece. Thank you for this wondrous creation.

CoolerMudkip
Regular

#5 Post by CoolerMudkip »

deleted