Yearning: A Gay Story [BxB][School/Slice of Life/Coming Out][16+]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Maegalkarven
Regular

Re: Yearning: A Gay Story [BxB][School/Slice of Life/Coming Out][16+]

#16 Post by Maegalkarven »

I ended up asking Jake to come with me to Q&A, after we two awkwardly couldn't get inside the first time. Honestly not sure which one of us was more scared.
Also I finally got Adam's ending! It was breathtaking. You know the feeling when you're so happy your adrenaline level skyrockets? Love me some endorphins.
I think I ended up liking James and Adam the most.
The number of "you're distracting" James told me xD I thought of counting, but forgot about it halfway. Also Star Trek! What a geek. I loved what most of dates with him is watching Voyager. Honestly, an activity I can get behind. Also totally get his super fixation on cleaning. Been there, done that. Also I love Q&A family and what James and MC were on Liz B and Liz G wedding.
Carlos is awesome but
cheating with Asheigh or was it Leigh
really hit me unexpectedly not in a nice way.

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#17 Post by bobconway »

Maegalkarven wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 amAlso I finally got Adam's ending! It was breathtaking. You know the feeling when you're so happy your adrenaline level skyrockets? Love me some endorphins.
I'm glad! I've been hearing from a lot of people that it was their favorite route/ending, and I'm glad no one found it problematic or offensive. I don't really like the idea or implication of
converting straight guys
, so I hope I managed to convey that the route wasn't about that, as much as just helping him come to some (unexpected) realizations about himself.
Maegalkarven wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 amI think I ended up liking James and Adam the most.
James is my favorite guy, but I think Dan is actually my favorite route, because of the additional backstory you get with Jake and Nate's relationship.

I also just like drama, and Jake being upset with you for wanting to sleep with his boyfriend is pretty great drama.
Maegalkarven wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 amCarlos is awesome but
cheating with Asheigh or was it Leigh
really hit me unexpectedly not in a nice way.
Yeah... it's one of those things that I think makes sense in context (given his fear of everything), even if it tends to be a weird and icky trope in games. I've heard from a few people that it makes them uncomfortable, but hopefully that discomfort comes from a place of understanding?

Thanks for the comments, and I'm glad you like the game!

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

10suoer9

#18 Post by 10suoer9 »

So I've tried about 20 times to get Carlos to come out to me on October 6th and nothing seems to work.

I've tried to spend as much time with He and Adam together as possible, but never alone except where required.

I've tried expressing care and concern, and I've tried being outrightly flirty with Carlos while avoiding the 4 events and still have no success.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call

#19 Post by bobconway »

10suoer9 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:46 pm So I've tried about 20 times to get Carlos to come out to me on October 6th and nothing seems to work.

I've tried to spend as much time with He and Adam together as possible, but never alone except where required.

I've tried expressing care and concern, and I've tried being outrightly flirty with Carlos while avoiding the 4 events and still have no success.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Is he asking you out instead? Or does he just not come out until late October in the hospital?

Magiriano

#20 Post by Magiriano »

Hi!

I know that it is silly to write about impressions, having played only twenty minutes, but we will consider it an affect. I have absolutely no idea what this game will be about, and I like to move along it, like a regular book. I do not have a deliberate sexual attraction to the characters - I am only interested in events. For example, when I launch some erotic novel, I already clearly know that in half an hour I will see the first bed scene. I know what I'm running the game for. But there are no expectations.

I wanted to speak about the text. Visual novels are like theatrical plays. There are many dialogues in them, but phrases are often short and simple. The smaller the sentence, the easier it is to understand. Of course, a high concentration of small sentences can cause discomfort to the reader, but a small window in visual novels itself pushes the use of large sentences as rarely as possible.

So... Thus, I wanted to say that I am stupid, I do not know the language well, and sometimes it is difficult for me to read the text. :lol: Although it is not entirely true. Most of the words I understand, despite the fact that I really do not know the language, and this is a big plus. For example, I do not notice any typos, except for the speech of Janet, of course. :D It is even interesting how many mistakes are in my own messages. By the way, I really liked the moment when the protagonist corrected a mistake in the message of Janet... It reminded me of myself. :oops:

Thank you for the small charge of good emotions. Twenty minutes, but the impressions were already pleasant. <3

bobconway
Regular

#21 Post by bobconway »

Magiriano wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am Hi!

I know that it is silly to write about impressions, having played only twenty minutes, but we will consider it an affect. I have absolutely no idea what this game will be about, and I like to move along it, like a regular book. I do not have a deliberate sexual attraction to the characters - I am only interested in events. For example, when I launch some erotic novel, I already clearly know that in half an hour I will see the first bed scene. I know what I'm running the game for. But there are no expectations.

I wanted to speak about the text. Visual novels are like theatrical plays. There are many dialogues in them, but phrases are often short and simple. The smaller the sentence, the easier it is to understand. Of course, a high concentration of small sentences can cause discomfort to the reader, but a small window in visual novels itself pushes the use of large sentences as rarely as possible.

So... Thus, I wanted to say that I am stupid, I do not know the language well, and sometimes it is difficult for me to read the text. :lol: Although it is not entirely true. Most of the words I understand, despite the fact that I really do not know the language, and this is a big plus. For example, I do not notice any typos, except for the speech of Janet, of course. :D It is even interesting how many mistakes are in my own messages. By the way, I really liked the moment when the protagonist corrected a mistake in the message of Janet... It reminded me of myself. :oops:

Thank you for the small charge of good emotions. Twenty minutes, but the impressions were already pleasant. <3
Impressions are important, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

cclark603
Projects: Pale Waves

#22 Post by cclark603 »

Okay, so I downloaded this game and I can honestly say that not only am I in love with most of the characters, I am love with the music as well? It seems very well thought out and I think that you have a wonderful concept of what you wanted out of the game!

I haven't really played a BxB in a while (aside from COOT) and this has made a really good impression on me so far. I guess the ONLY gripe I have with it is I wish there was more dialogue for friendships? I would love to learn about Janet more, but maybe I am not really selecting the right responses! XD I just would love more actions because it seems like the days are going super quickly, but this is just MY opinion <3 you don't have to listen to me!

Still though 10 out of 10!!!

bobconway
Regular

#23 Post by bobconway »

cclark603 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:03 am Okay, so I downloaded this game and I can honestly say that not only am I in love with most of the characters, I am love with the music as well? It seems very well thought out and I think that you have a wonderful concept of what you wanted out of the game!

I haven't really played a BxB in a while (aside from COOT) and this has made a really good impression on me so far. I guess the ONLY gripe I have with it is I wish there was more dialogue for friendships? I would love to learn about Janet more, but maybe I am not really selecting the right responses! XD I just would love more actions because it seems like the days are going super quickly, but this is just MY opinion <3 you don't have to listen to me!

Still though 10 out of 10!!!
Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed the game.

You might want to check out the Companion Fics (free to download on the itch.io page) for some more backstory about characters. But you're right that the game generally assumes you have an existing relationship with her.

Magiriano

#24 Post by Magiriano »

So here I am again. :D Are you happy to see me? Of course, you are... :oops:

I have a couple of thoughts about board games. Firstly, the idea of a board game inside a video game is not new and quite good. Secondly, in this case, this is not a board game at all, because we have only a couple of options in situations that are predetermined by the plot. Thirdly, I almost never played board games ... well, as a child I played a self-made Monopoly. Because of this, I do not understand anything in games with Jake and choose at random.

When Sunday came again, and my character (our protagonist, whatever) was offered to go play board games, I was a little sad. :( Do these scenes affect anything? I did not feel it. Am I influencing something in these scenes? This is also not felt. I understand some jokes about the players, but most of the text is not interesting, because I do not understand what is happening. Some traps, some cities, some monasteries, some ... mail. I'm not sure. Repeated board games have begun to burden me, since my very appearance there affects some plot scenes, but I myself have to scroll through this board games.

It sounds strange, but I feel guilty that I (the player) bring the main character (Chris) just for the sake of meetings with Jack, but I don’t take part in what is happening and have to scroll to more meaningful scenes. :( Maybe I really do not have enough knowledge specifically of these board games, or perhaps not enough opportunity to play them for real, from beginning to end. The developer diligently created this content, and I run it as if it were an erotic novel. :D

This is not about YARG, so let it be under the spoiler.
Have you ever played "Space Rangers 2"? Inside this game there are several others, and they are represented just in the form of text quests with a choice of actions, which is extremely close to the visual novels. One of them just reminds me of something described in YARG. That game is designed for two players - they create their own fortresses, at each turn creating power stations for obtaining resources, or strengthening the defense, or improving weapons, or attacking the enemy. Of course, there were implemented mechanics, adding something like random elements to the game, and the AI ​​made reasonable moves and countered the player's moves quite well.
In general, these are my impressions this time. I have so far reached only the beginning of October. :)

bobconway
Regular

#25 Post by bobconway »

Magiriano wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 amI have a couple of thoughts about board games. Firstly, the idea of a board game inside a video game is not new and quite good. Secondly, in this case, this is not a board game at all, because we have only a couple of options in situations that are predetermined by the plot. Thirdly, I almost never played board games ... well, as a child I played a self-made Monopoly. Because of this, I do not understand anything in games with Jake and choose at random.
I think the game only forces you to play board games once. The other times are optional, if you choose to do so to get closer to Jake.

I understand if it's less interesting if you don't recognize the game (or don't play more complex board games normally in real life), but it's an important part of that route, because they're important to him.

It's also a general diversion from the rest of the game, where you can make a bunch of decisions that affect very little. Winning a game, or letting someone else win a game, gives a small friendship boost with that person, but it's not intended to make a huge difference... it's more important that you do it at all.
Magiriano wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 amThis is not about YARG, so let it be under the spoiler.
Have you ever played "Space Rangers 2"? Inside this game there are several others, and they are represented just in the form of text quests with a choice of actions, which is extremely close to the visual novels. One of them just reminds me of something described in YARG. That game is designed for two players - they create their own fortresses, at each turn creating power stations for obtaining resources, or strengthening the defense, or improving weapons, or attacking the enemy. Of course, there were implemented mechanics, adding something like random elements to the game, and the AI ​​made reasonable moves and countered the player's moves quite well.
I have not. It'd be fun to put more complex minigames in future games. :)