Recording the Predestined Time [Slice Of Life][Sci-Fi]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

Recording the Predestined Time [Slice Of Life][Sci-Fi]

#1 Post by paradigmshifty »

Recording the Predestined Time is a science fiction(?) slice-of-life(?) visual novel
that follows a handful of people in a tiny town as they await the predestined time.

Download on Itch.io

Recording...

Recording the predestined time is a game by Amorphous (art, writing, scenario programming) and Sleepy Agents (music, sound design, animation programming).
A visual novel. It was originally planned for NaNoRenO 2017, and was completed over the next two years.
Contains mild swearing.

Recording...

A young woman stands alone at the wall, painting deep gashes onto the surface.

The wall isn't attached to anything. Once, a long time ago, it was a construction site. Then a building. Families lived here once.

Then they didn't, and the other walls fell down, and this remains.

I record the few people who gather here at this lonely wall.

The young woman, who paints her frustration into it.

The young man, who wishes deeply to save people.

The children, who ponder the predestined time.

Recording...

Download for free at itch.io - amorphous.itch.io/recording

current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

Johan
Regular
Organization: DMEOW
itch: dmeow
Discord: Johan#7444

Re: Recording the Predestined Time [Slice Of Life][Sci-Fi]

#2 Post by Johan »

How to explain in words what we (me and my wife) have just read? It's simple incredible, from start to end.

Where to start? What to say? We are simply at loss of words and I cannot believe you ended the novel at that point.
I honestly was hoping you would show, you know, the END? But thinking about it, I think the ending fits perfectly the novel, although we both were like: "WHAT? IT'S OVER? NOOOOO it can't end like this!" XD. On one hand, I'm curious to know what would have happened at the END, but on the other hand, I simply wouldn't want to see the characters (who i loved them so much, ALL OF THEM WERE SO PRECIOUS AND SO REAL) at that point. I would like to remember them as I've see them in the memories recorded.
Honestly, I have so many favorite parts:
The part when we see Michael saying he got a job as a firefigther, and then years later, the same scene but with him already adult and with a kid. That scene was just beautifully made. We love Zeke is so cute as a kid and seeing him later so grown up is just, so precious!!!
The scene at the hospital were Ashley breaks down because they (she and Jamie) have grown up together, so it makes sense that it scared her more, specially bc she said that Jamie already had a bad condition. And how the one recording (we think it's a little robot with artificial intelligence) thinks about the scenes its watching, and the contrast between what we are seeing and what it's thinking.
About the little robot: Who send it? The aliens who put the WORLD SPINE? Or a group of humans, who may or not may have put the WORLD SPINE, who wanted to record the lasting years before the end? Or maybe the aliens who simply wanted to record what humanity did on their lasting years? It honestly makes you think on that kind of perspective: If everything is going to end any time soon, is it worth doing or worrying about anything? Our answer is yes. Definitely yes, with that kind of thinking, then that's just basically not living at all. That wouldn't be a life. Nothing changes. Nothing moves on. You don't worry about anything. But you also don't enjoy anything. And that's not living a life.
The scene of Michael saying that he heard about the rumors of the WORLD SPINE and the end of the world since he was a kid but he didn't worry bc it wouldn't happen when he was still there, but then he has a son and suddenly everything changes and that scene was SO TRUE, IT'S SO TRUE, SO DAMN powerful.
Erinys, at the first scene: that scene is just incredible, it gives you a powerful impact from the beginning! And that impact follows the rest of the story, maybe that's why it's simply incredible from start to end. And I'm glad we get to see her at the end. We were actually surprised that she actually dropped out college. the things the AI says to her really made an impact on her! And I agree with her at some point, if she hadn't been so disruptive then they wouldn't have paid attention in the first place!! And honestly? When I see her saying that they still have ten years to go by, honestly? it made me have hope. hope that maybe, just maybe, the end wouldn't happen that sooner. It'll happen, yes, but maybe not that sooner?
The music is perfect and together with the writing, it created an ambient that fits completely with the story. What I'm trying to say is that the game made us feel as if we were right there, we were immersed in the story. Really, thank you! Thank you SO MUCH for this story!!! Really thank you!!!
dmeow !
Check my silly blog!

◤ And I saw the stars ★ falling down... ◢
Check the game!! IT'S OUT!!!

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#3 Post by paradigmshifty »

The OST is now available on Bandcamp! >>

https://sleepyagents.bandcamp.com/album ... d-time-ost

Please check that out if you liked the music in the game ^^
(i will get around to putting the tracks on soundcloud at some point too! and when I say soon, I mean, kinda soonish!)

@Johan
- Thank you very much for your feedback. <3 I am very glad that you enjoyed the VN!
I too am very emotional about how the characters react during those scenes. I find the conversations between Michael and the immortal always get me. To me they both seem somewhat naïve (or at least innocent), but in very different ways!?
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

This was a beautiful game. I played it late tonight, not able to sleep and not really sure what to expect from it.

What happened was that it resonated very deeply with me; I've been struggling a lot recently to balance between my fear that the world is going downhill and that I don't have a future, my desire to fight to change that, and my resolution to enjoy life like I would normally despite those things. Michael, Erinys, and the kids, respectively, were literally perfect embodiments of these exact emotions. Reading their stories, their highs and their lows, and then ultimately seeing them all still worried for the future but also for the most part content with their lives and their actions gives me hope for my own future and my own happiness. Thank you for this, I will definitely be revisiting it when life starts to get overwhelming.

(Also, love the soundtrack, I'm listening to it as I type this.)